The Sewing Place

Greetings☺️, Sewist Anglophile from California

MissEmmy

Re: Greetings☺️, Sewist Anglophile from California
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2023, 19:48:22 PM »
There have been mentions of an affinity for photos, even of snow.  I’m not sure how this forum works with photos, but will give it a shot.  Following, in some random order, are photos of:

My back yard before the snow melted (it lasted a out half a day)
My1876 Singer hand crank (yes, it sews!  I adjusted it myself😜, but now I just look at it and pet it a lot)
A photo of me at 19 years of age with my first White treadle.  I had moved from Shasta County to Hollywood where my sister lived.  I was wearing a top that I made on that machine, and also made clothes that I wore to work in Beverly Hills!
A photo of another favorite vintage machine… and the only area in my sewing/craft room that is remote camera-ready at the moment!

There you go… a bit more about the Sewist Anglophile from California☺️
MissEmmy from California

MissEmmy

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2023, 19:54:45 PM »
It's very different from the UK @MissEmmy, in some ways it reminded me of Mediterranean countries I'd visited, climate wise too. Strangely the island of Majorca in the Mediterranean is experiencing snow this week which is very unusual for them so I wonder if anything is connected there climate wise? Amazing the temp difference from Walnut Creek to San Francisco! I enjoyed California including some winery visits, the names escape me right now, Christian Brothers and another one close by? We visited San Diego area including Rancho Bernado more recently. I guess the shopping was good in Walnut Creek as it looked to be quite upmarket!

@Helen M, I think it is pretty upmarket.  Ironically, my friend wanted to shop at some high end stores to find clothes for her Mediterranean cruise.  We looked everywhere and found very little she liked.  Back in Shasta County I noticed a few things in Kohl’s department store that looked like what she’d been seeking, so gave her a call.  Yep, she bought the store out.  Was a bit miffed that a big round trip and nights out of town yielded nada, when she could have found whst she needed just up the street🤣!
MissEmmy from California

Helen M

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2023, 20:18:43 PM »
I love Kohls @MissEmmy, having been taken to one in Texas by my expat friend about 20 years ago to buy an extra sports type bag to put our excess stuff that we had acquired on a visit there!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Catllar

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2023, 16:49:22 PM »
Hi and welcome from me @MissEmmy .

I am impressed not only have you found your way to us  BUT you have put pictures - this is amazing. I've been here (as have many others) since day 1 and I still struggle to load photos and there you are with em all!

You need to understand that UFOs are closely related to buying more stuff in order to progress with said UFO. This is a GOOD THING and we are all ( well, most of us) proud enablers of buying stuff. You have found your people!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

MissEmmy

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2023, 02:03:50 AM »
I love Kohls @MissEmmy, having been taken to one in Texas by my expat friend about 20 years ago to buy an extra sports type bag to put our excess stuff that we had acquired on a visit there!

@Helen M, well, Kohl’s is pretty cool.  Plus, they offer you this Kohl’s cash deal, more cash if you spend more, which you can just SPEND in the store next week.  Now they take your Amazon returns and wrap and ship for you, AND give you a $5 coupon to spend in the store.  Someone could seriously make a business out of just returning stuff to Amazon and then buying stuff they don’t need at the store.  Last time I bought socks, which I did need🤣, so that worked out!
MissEmmy from California

MissEmmy

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2023, 02:07:56 AM »
Hi and welcome from me @MissEmmy .

I am impressed not only have you found your way to us  BUT you have put pictures - this is amazing. I've been here (as have many others) since day 1 and I still struggle to load photos and there you are with em all!

You need to understand that UFOs are closely related to buying more stuff in order to progress with said UFO. This is a GOOD THING and we are all ( well, most of us) proud enablers of buying stuff. You have found your people!

@Catllar, thank you!  I’m so happy to have found my people!  (I am a recovering English Lit major, after all🤣)  And yes, you are right.  The best UFO is one that requires you to buy more stuff to make MORE UFO’s!
MissEmmy from California