The Sewing Place

cleaning sewing machines

SewRuthieSews

cleaning sewing machines
« on: November 17, 2022, 15:35:27 PM »
In case this is useful to anyone else, I recently bought

Universal Micro Vacuum Cleaner Mini Tool Kit With Precision Cleaning Attachments
from ebay for just over £6

It doesn't fit perfectly onto my Dyson, but close enough and I was able to clean out all the fluff from my overlocker that I couldn't reach with the normal Dyson attachments. Also good for computer keyboards and any other small fiddly things.

b15erk

Re: cleaning sewing machines
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 15:54:04 PM »
That looks really good @SewRuthieSews , wonder if it will fit my little upstairs hoover... :thinking:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 16:29:07 PM »
I’ve got something very similar @SewRuthieSews and the first time I used it I put a filter on ( posh name for an old pop sock) and was amazed by what I got out.

My machines were all less than 3 years old and cleaned regularly but I got loads out.

The fit on my Dyson is a bit iffy but I just hold it at the join.  Excellent piece of kit.

Puzzler

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 16:55:20 PM »
I need one of those in my life. I wonder if it would fit my Miele canister vacuum?

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 10:48:33 AM »
I find compressed air works well, I just shift the front and left side doors open on the overlocker but not recommended for a sewing machine as you can't blow straight through and out.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 11:50:52 AM »
I've had one of these packs for years (from the Sewing With Nancy catalogue days and ordered/delivered when on a US holiday!) and it's great. I don't think it fits my Sebo but does fit the Henry.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 12:18:33 PM »
I have one of those and found it useful but the automatic cut out on my Sebo means I can't use it for more than about two minutes.  I bought a battery one from Amazon which is OK but that vacuum one works better.

Sewbusy

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 13:42:20 PM »
I have a Shark vacuum cleaner and there is a similar set of the mini tools available as an extra. I ordered one along with spare filter pads. Great little item and so useful.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 12:14:21 PM »
I’ve got one of these and it fits my Miele. 

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 20:41:37 PM »
I've got one of those, they are pretty good although it will only fit my Vax wet and dry pipe. I got mine from Minerva some years ago.