The Sewing Place

My scrappy D9P

Renegade Sewist

Re: My scrappy D9P
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 15:02:26 PM »
ETA, my calculations say you're on track for 65" x 65" square. You can shift that to approximately a 59" x 71" rectangle which is close to the 53"/54" x 75" "standard" size listed for UK/US full size quilts. You're definitely on track.  :thumb:

My apologies @Vezelay .I Googled double quilt size,  not mattress size. The listing I looked at said quilts.  Well of course you want an overhang. :) You most likely want a bigger overhang than that.  I'd do a minimum of 10 inches each side and bottom. Twelve to 15 would be more common. Our double is an inch wider than yours. The suggested size for a 54x75 mattress is 80-88 wide by 90-92 long.

What you need to consider is are people routinely sleeping under this quilt or is it a seldom used bed and more for show. Quilts tend to have gaposis along the sides with people under them as they can be a tad stiff depending on batting and amount of quilting. Drafts are no fun!

I'm goofy so in winter I have a commercially made microfiber whole cloth quilt with a big paisley pattern for the quilting. Actually I have several in different colors. I use one of those as my base and toss any number of throw sized quilts, of differing sizes mind you, on top as the weather and my whim dictates.

My sewing machine is a Brother se-400. They are more of a ¾-⅞ sized machine so larger quilts are no joy.

But remember it's your quilt. You can have it do whatever you want. There really aren't any Quilt Police though occasionally I have to remind someone. I've also seen lovely ones made to fit entirely on the bed top with no overhang. It can look good in the right setting.

Odd sizing is simple with this. Your blocks aren't really 13 inches. That's four 6 ½ inch blocks sewn together. Remember your taking that 13 inch block and quartering it. Then your sewing the four smaller blocks back together however you like. My last D9P was4 ½ 9 patches wide. You just arrange how it works for you.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 15:27:53 PM »
Here @Vezelay ,the answer to all our questions, including how many of what you'll need for 10, count em, 10 different sized quilts. She has several other related posts and really good graphics.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 17:14:56 PM by Renegade Sewist »

Vezelay

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2022, 16:13:56 PM »
@Renegade Sewist did you mean to post a link there? Re sizing, originally I thought 80 x 90 but then realised I didn't want one that covers the pillows like a bedspread and which needs to be folded down when you're in bed. A duvet size one (78 x 782) would work better here I think - and it won't be staying permanently on a bed, just as and when required.

Years ago mother-in-law RIP gave us a beautiful hand-sewn king-size quilt, 40 years in the making, her life's work, but it's too huge and heavy to use, so sadly has occupied a large drawer ever since. I'm determined not to repeat that - I'll be looking for the thinnest, lightest batting imaginable! 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2022, 17:17:10 PM »
Lol. :headbang: I  had copied, just forgot to paste in my excitement. I fixed it now @Vezelay .

Vezelay

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2022, 18:16:01 PM »
Excellent. Cheers @Renegade Sewist :thumb:

Vezelay

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 11:33:45 AM »
Oh I can see this is going to be a lot of fun. 0_0. More fabrics arriving this week so I'll just have to be patient.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

LeilaMay

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 11:52:14 AM »
Just a note on fabric buying - fat quarters are usually a fair-priced  buy, but if you go smaller than that (I think I saw you mention charm pack size?) then you pay a lot for per metre for your fabric. They make big mark-ups when they slice and dice.

Also, charity shops will sometimes yield fabric pieces, I've snagged a few (unwanted?) fat quarters in my local.

Vezelay

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2022, 12:38:43 PM »
You're right of course @LeilaMay. I bought a very reasonable fat quarter 8 bundle, but I need more fabrics and couldn't resist the attraction of a certain charm pack, so between the two I should have plenty. Must remember to check out local charity shops in the future - I never found them much good for garment making items but maybe for quilts it's a different story.

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2022, 14:54:00 PM »
I have never found any quilting or craft supplies in the myriad charities we have in town ...

After I die, THAT will be a completely different situation !!! After you lot have had first pickings that is!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vezelay

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2022, 10:09:51 AM »
All 324 fabric squares in 55 different prints/plains are now cut and ready, and the first 3 blocks assembled.

I want a thin, mostly cotton wadding and choice is fairly limited here, so after TSP and web research I'm going for Warm and Natural. It seems to fit the bill and is available.

Choice of backing fabric is tricky, some wildly expensive - but I have a rarely used plain blue Superking size flat sheet that might do (more forum wisdom). I'm away next week so hoping to have most of the blocks done by Saturday. The magic disappearing bit will just have to wait 'til I come back!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2022, 14:03:52 PM »
Ok. Sheet as backing. Quilt Police would  :scream:.  Fortunately they've been bound and gagged.  :thumb: Rule of thumb is best outcome if front and backing are same or similar fabric, same fiber content and both either prewashed or unwashed when assembled. Logic says that makes for a similar shrinkage rate when the finished quilt is washed.

So, ideally, you prewashed all square fabric beforehand. The sheet is 100% cotton. Then you follow the suggested quilting spacing for the batting. But, things probably aren't ideal. Sheet is likely the standard poly cotton blend, has been washed as slightly used. Squares for the blocks, maybe some prewashed, the rest ready to shrink to their hearts desire the moment they hit water. You are likely to possibly get random shrinkage on the front as you've used lots of different fabrics, different makers, different greige goods.

So, my remedy would be to use more quilting then necessary. This will help control any uneven shrinkage, making it more evenly distributed. Probably your best bet for the happiest outcome. It's also why crazy quilts and hodgepodge quilts have denser quilting. Everything stays in it's place.

Warm and Natural is probably the most popular quilt batting in the US. Consistently good results, affordable (sort of), nice generalized weight. It's extremely popular where I am.

Vezelay

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2022, 14:53:40 PM »
@Renegade Sewist you are so right about my fabrics being a mix of washed and unwashed. I know I'm chancing my arm. No polycotton sheets in our house though, 100% cotton only, this one has been used once, washed twice. That's a very useful tip about denser quilting, thanks - makes a lot of sense with the fabrics I'm using. I don't foresee the quilt needing a wash often but precautions are always an excellent idea.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 14:56:09 PM by Vezelay »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2022, 15:27:45 PM »
@Vezelay a lot of people as a matter of course wash a quilt upon completion. For some of us the resultant shrinkage and controlled rumbling that results is part of the charm. Also for me the cats have been known to assist in construction. The first time a quilt comes out of the washer and then especially the dryer is a bit like Christmas mixed with final exams. Exciting and nerve wracking.

BTW the batting is going to shrink on you. I'm thinking that one is about 3% on the first wash. Not a lot but nice even puckering along the quilting lines.

Vezelay

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2022, 17:46:27 PM »
@Renegade Sewist True, I did post-wash the cot quilt I made some time ago (panel, no piecing) - partly because it was a gift. None of it was pre-washed and the slightly scrunched result seemed to add to its charm. Also I was a quilting innocent then so the shrinkage issue didn't worry me. Ah well, I can always put this one in a drawer and take it out when no one's looking. I'm picturing your cats helping out :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2022, 18:02:26 PM »
@Vezelay wear and tear is part of the charm of a quilt to me. Jordan, a lovely 3 year old black cat loves them. To pieces. Literally. She has very sharp claws and a designer's instincts. She gravitates to whichever quilt she will look best on. It's all about the color contrast. For her color is everything.

Seriously, quilts should be used and, sometimes, used up. Patched. Recovered. Given to the dog. I don't have the time, patience or talent for show quilts. I do for more utilitarian quilts which are fun to  assemble and useful.