The Sewing Place

Novita Venla Sweater dress

b15erk

Re: Novita Venla Sweater dress
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2023, 12:03:57 PM »
This has been a long knit, and a lot of tedious stocking stitch rows on a great many stitches.

But, I am now seeing an end to the project.  Not sure how it will look or fit - I've never knit a top down sweater before, but it will be finished.

The last job is the rib, which seems strange, as it's usually the first.  I want a nice finish, to complement the nice tubular rib neck, so I've been rooting around Youtube again.

After looking at many complex ways of doing this, I've come up with tutorial JST Knitwear Designs Tubular Bind OFF

I've done the first small practise, and it isn't too difficult, but will require a bit of concentration, certainly to start with.  I'm going to do a second practise piece before I start on my sweater proper.

Wish me luck!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2023, 12:46:17 PM »
Just watched that video @b15erk and I was just thinking that it was like kitchener stitch when she mentioned it. It finishes like a tubular cast on.  Very nice. Much concentration and no interruptions are required!  Good luck!

b15erk

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2023, 13:10:07 PM »
 :thumb: @coffeeandcake !  Yes, I'll need to do it in a few sessions as I have several hundred stitches on the needles... :S

I've watched and transcribed the tutorial, in a way I can follow, so I have hopes that all will be well  ;)

Before starting on the sweater though, I'm going to do another practise, using my hand written instructions, just to see if they work...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2023, 11:15:09 AM »
I did another practise last night, and I'm getting into the rythm of the sequence now.  I think I need a final trial, in the round, otherwise I won't know how to fiinish off...

Jessie