The Sewing Place

Skipping Stitch problem

Bill

Re: Skipping Stitch problem
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2022, 17:17:54 PM »
Yorkie?   I used to love the raisin and biscuit one.  Yes I know they’re just for men but ……

Anyhoo, I think @Bodgeitandscarper is possibly right.   That’s a lot of fabric for the machine.  And I think the seam on the right side of the photo would be a nightmare to sew.  I’m assuming that’s the one giving problems?  There would be very little fabric for the feed dogs to grab and it wouldn’t be pulled through evenly so could account for the skipped stitches.  On that much fabric I would be using a microtex or sharps or jeans needle.  I think size 80 is too fine for that lot. 
Just a thought, have you tried a zipper foot?  Not what I’d normally  suggest but it did work on something I couldn’t get a normal foot to work on

It was indeed the seam on the right.
The biggest microtex I have is an 80. I was under the impression that microtex needles were for really fine fabrics? Silk etc?
@Renegade Sewist suggested the zipper foot before and whilst I didn't use it on the 1st wallet, I did on the 3rd. It's my go to foot when stupid narrow seams are on the menu.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bill

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2022, 17:19:36 PM »
(Ask me how I know!)

Ok.
How do you know?  :P :laughing:

Ouryve

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2022, 17:29:16 PM »
I've just looked at the specs for your machine, @Bill and while I can't see an invisible zipper foot, there is a 1/4" seam foot that may provide the stability needed.

Alternatively (definitely not at the same time, as the quarter inch foot doesn't facilitate it, you can alter the position of your needle to the right so that more of the fabric is between the foot and feed dogs.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2022, 21:59:36 PM »
@Bill microtex or sharps needles (same thing depending on company) have a very sharp point and are used to pierce through densely woven fabrics.  Silks and microfibres come under this banner.  But it also makes them very good for difficult fabrics such as crepe where the fibres are twisted.  It makes it difficult for needles such as universals to penetrate the fabric.  So yes they are used for silks etc but useful when other needles won’t work!  Jeans or denim needles are also very sharp and usually come in larger (thicker) sizes so better for tough fabrics such as denim, twills and drills. 
As for stitch length, I think I’d be looking at 4mm minimum.  But I’d sample a few lengths. 

Bill

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2022, 22:03:08 PM »
Aha! Thanks @Ohsewsimple  :)

Helen M

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2022, 12:38:40 PM »
Not sure if this would help or not but for many years I've always sewn with the needle in the furthest left position. I think it's probably because on the standard Janome foot (with the black button) has an opening right in front of the needle so you can see where needle is going. Puts your seam allowance markings off but I make my own or just wing it!  From memory I'm sure my very first Janome's standard zig zag foot was V shaped at the front giving much better visibilty of the stitch.

Using the foot in this position means the foot covers most of the seam allowance so probably lies more stabily (sp?) on the fabric.

I'm also wondering if more basic and maybe non computerised machines are better for heavier fabrics in general?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

So Chic

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2022, 13:16:37 PM »
@Bill   I don’t know if you’ve tried but I find that sewing at the slowest speed with a longer stitch can help.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ploshkin

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2022, 13:39:28 PM »
@Bill having seen the fabric and thickness that you are trying to sew, it is similar to the canvas rucksack style bag that I made last year.  Attaching the folded ends of the straps involved stitching through 9 layers of canvas p!us fairly weighty interfacing.  I managed it with my Pfaff but only by sewing one stitch at a time and hand turning the flywheel as necessary especially to get the needle to go through all layers without flexing.
I think your stitch problem is probably down to using your machine close to the limit of its ability.  We do ask a lot of our trusty machines  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Bill

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2022, 14:11:21 PM »
I honestly don't think lack of power is an issue for the atelier. It's a right muscle Mary. Believe me, it's gone through thicker tougher stuff than my wallets without any trouble. It'd probably sew through concrete.
I have often wondered why (besides a lack of room on the right) there aren't more feet designed for left needle stitching as @Helen M suggests. Skipping stitches seems more of a problem when the needle is positioned to the right.
Having said all that, so far, Miss Atelier is being nice to me today and throwing no tantrums...so far.

Helen M

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2022, 14:37:20 PM »
@Bill  I managed it with my Pfaff but only by sewing one stitch at a time and hand turning the flywheel as necessary especially to get the needle to go through all layers without flexing.

I do that quite often. Meant to mention that in my previous post!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Celia

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2022, 15:21:26 PM »
Now you know why I keep my straight stitch only machine, as it uses industrial feet you can buy https://www.hobkirk.co.uk/compensating-feet for it,

however most of the time it is unnecessary if you use https://www.hobkirk.co.uk/janome-narrow-straight-stitch. I am just a cheapskate as the industrial feet  are cheaper by far.

I often wonder why I have other machines  :thinking: :thinking: are yes occasionally I need zig zag and buttonholes.  :laughing:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 08:31:02 AM by Iminei »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2022, 22:01:29 PM »
It’s annoying isn’t it @Celia ? I have an industrial binder for my coverstitch.  So much cheaper

Bill

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2023, 20:44:15 PM »
IT LIVES!  :dance: :dance: :dance:

Couling said the warranty was void coz a non janome authorised person tinkered with it.....me. And possibly the so called mechanic I took it to. He turned out to be a lying toe rag.
According to G&G Sewing of Bolton, a frozen solenoid was stopping the presser foot finding it's center position. The gears were apparently grinding. I call bs on all that.
There's no damn solenoid to work the presser foot to start with! And the gears were turning freely!
So, faced with the prospect of sending it to couling and facing a hefty bill, seeing as it was out of warranty I decided to have another, much deeper look at it.
I've no idea what the hell I did to it to start with but I delved into the service manual, took it bits partially and rebuilt it. Some things like a 39.6mm distance from a stop to the baseplate or something was impossible to measure accurately. My digital caliper was too long to fit in there but I'm close to within maybe 0.5mm I think. Stuff like that.
Anyhoo, put it all back together without swearing even! And tweaked a few knobs and screws and whatchamicallems and Miss Atelier is running like brand new. No skipping stitches and no funny noises. I don't even have any spare screws or washers left over  :D
Quite proud of myself  :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Hope it doesn't fall to bits on me now  :laughing:

charley

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2023, 21:22:27 PM »
Well done @Bill keeping fingers crossed for you.

BrendaP

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2023, 21:23:51 PM »
Yay!   :perfect10:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.