The Sewing Place

Resurgence of the Darkside 2023

Celia

Re: Resurgence of the Darkside 2023
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 10:16:30 AM »
@Ellabella that looks like a great book but definitely some undertaking, are you going to use classic fabrics and thread?  I have done a bit of Sashiko  and did do a small workshop with Susan many years ago.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Ellabella

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 11:58:57 AM »
@Celia I’ve ordered some authentic Japaneses fabric and Sashiko thread.  I’m going to do it all in blue and white. In the book Susan uses a range of pastel colours as well as white but I won’t slavishly follow her choices and actually prefer the traditional look.

I’ve chosen a very pale cream rather than a brilliant white.

I’ve done small pieces in the past but nothing on this scale but I do like a big project now and again.

So Chic

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 12:41:53 PM »
I crept over to the Dark Side yesterday and made a complete hash.  I thought start small so I attempted a couple of place mats but I've ended up with little tucks all over as the fabric seemed to creep although I pinned it carefully.  Where have I gone wrong?
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Pearl

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 14:18:09 PM »
I tracked down her video that explains this and I think I will give it a go. I joined her FB group to track what number she calls. Now I'm gonna have to get creative to make a cute board. Off to make a list...

Maybe we can get enough people on board with this to keep a thread going, all of us not just Darksiders.

That would be good, @WendyW .  Anyone else would like to join us?

I like the look of that book but the chances of me doing 365 of anything is zero.

Do you have a walking foot, @So Chic ?  Game changer.

WendyW

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 15:37:08 PM »
That would be good, @WendyW .  Anyone else would like to join us?

I'll go start us a thread- as soon as I figure out which heading it belongs under.  :thinking:

Flobear

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 15:47:23 PM »
@So Chic Do you mean joining the pieces gave you little tucks or quilting the place mats?

A walking foot would help with both but specific advice for your precise problem would also be useful.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

So Chic

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 16:27:55 PM »
@Pearl & @Flobear

I got the little tucks when quilting as the three layers all seemed to move against each other, should I have used my walking foot?  I stitched the three layers together all round the edges and then quilted it.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Pearl

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 16:35:53 PM »
Yes, I’d use a walking foot.  Usually, when quilting a quilt, you’d start in the middle and quilt outwards, rather than sewing around the edge.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2023, 16:47:22 PM »
hello folks, I don't dabble in the Darkside much, but I'm happy to help out when anything contest/sewalong happens.
What is this WIPGO of which you speak and are at least 3 people wanting to do it?

Flobear

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2023, 16:55:58 PM »
Walking foot pretty much essential for quilting through layers @So Chic .   And going round the edge first gives nowhere for the little tucks to go. In fact I've never gone round the edge - says she with her vast experience (not!)

When sandwiching your layers smooth out from the centre and try not to crinkle anything up with your pins. Do you have the long flower-headed pins? it's easier not to bunch things up with those.

As @Pearl said, quilting from the centre to the outside is also helpful.  Another thing that can be useful is to use the 'Stick and Spray' stuff though you still have to be good at carefully smoothing everything from the centre outwards while sticking the layer together.

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2023, 16:59:19 PM »
You don't need to pin. Use 505 spray, a walking foot and start in the middle,working to the edge.Don't go round the edge .......apart from all that......you're fine  :thumb:  :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

WendyW

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2023, 17:04:01 PM »

What is this WIPGO of which you speak and are at least 3 people wanting to do it?

It's a Bingo-style board of your own projects and UFOs, to be completed according to the numbers designated each month. I've contacted the specified people to ask about setting it up.

So Chic

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2023, 15:13:36 PM »
I'm unpicking the stitches from the edges and then following the advice given to finish the second place mat, hopefully without little tucks.  If it turns out all right I might unpick the first one and re-make it.
So Chic

So Chic

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2023, 14:27:55 PM »
I have done as suggested by @Flobear, @Pearl, and @Lowena with my place mats and they are much better than originally sewn.  Thank you for the advice and I'm going to try something bigger next time.
So Chic

Flobear

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2023, 16:13:19 PM »
Well done @So Chic  :thumb: :thumb:

I was lucky enough to have my first attempts at P&Q in a lesson or several from the fragrant @Iminei