The Sewing Place

Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm

realale

Re: Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 14:54:43 PM »
I'm here and second sleeve has been sewn in but am now stalled. I had to phone son to come round to try on the coat and until he gets here I can't do much else. Hopefully he'll be here soon - the joys of living just round the corner!!
 0_0
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 14:55:19 PM »
I've just got in and heading upstairs to embroider.  Had to get a coffee first.   ;)

Diane

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2023, 15:09:06 PM »
I have some of the fabric left over and was thinking that i might add a couple of pockets to the front of the top  :thinking: once i've sewn it together i'll pin the pockets on and see what it looks like.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

b15erk

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2023, 15:12:09 PM »
Just finished the grey slip and it's OK for what I need.  The C/S behaved beautifully again, but the O/Locker didn't like sewing single layers of this lingerie mesh/stretch.  Not too worried as it won't be seen, but it would have been nice to have a rather better finish.  I did think of FOE but it was too heavy for the fabric.  What looks like a dark mark on the fabric is just spray starch.

I've just found another waistslip which needs altering, so that will keep me busy for an hour.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

fajita

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2023, 15:21:48 PM »
That’s me finished ✔️ I’ve ironed approx 12 yds of binding, such a boring job.

Flobear

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2023, 15:28:34 PM »
Back from dog walk and putting in another load of washing.
Can't do last Sparkling Star block as I haven't been to Doughty's yet.
I could do with another pair of oven gloves so will see what leftovers I have.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

realale

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2023, 15:30:06 PM »
Son has been & coat tried on. Had trouble fixing shoulder pads as I couldn't reach very well but think they're ok now. I now need to attach the sleeve head and shoulder pads and turn up the sleeve hems. That'll do for today.  ;)
Photo to show the size of his coat next to me size dummy (and also to show the creative mess I sew in!!!  :P)
So many beers, so little time.

Sandra

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2023, 15:43:50 PM »
Haven't done much but I currently don't have much which needs doing.

I've had a pair of jeans dropped off which have started to split down the centre back seam so I've tacked a piece of cotton fabric on the back to strengthen it and have found some reasonably well matched thread. Difficult to match denim.
I'm not doing them today. It can be a job for tomorrow.

Sandra.
xxx

SewRuthieSews

Ouryve

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2023, 15:54:03 PM »
He'll be a big lad when he grows up, @realale  :laughing:

That's me done for the day, anyhow. I'm incredibly bloated, this afternoon so will finish the elastic, tomorrow. I definitely can't see the stitching, anyhow  :angel:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Helen M

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2023, 15:55:02 PM »
Have been sewing the pants I cut out on Sunday. Style Arc Sailor Sue Palazzo Pant https://www.stylearc.com/shop/pdf-sewing-patterns/sailor-sue-palazzo-pant-pdf/. It's one of their older ones and it's actually a paper pattern although it is now available as a PDF.  I was concerned that they might be too wide or flared but not the case.

As it is an old pattern of theirs, there are few measurements apart from hem width so having measured crotch and as usual found it to be too short for me I added 2" to the top all round.

I also used a different method for altering the crotch length at back that I came across last summer. I used it on a toile for some woven pants and it worked so tried it here and it seems to have done the trick. https://designerstitch.com/how-to-lengthen-your-back-rise/.  I couldn't remember how much I added so did 1" but I think I could have got away with 5/8"- 3/4" so I'll alter my pattern before putting it away. You do the same at the front but I don't need it there.

I did some seaming yesterday to check before overlocking. I'm using some dark navy heavy ponte from my stash (2019 so my Emma One Sock fabric account says!) and I have only the hems to do which I will coverstitch but I'll leave for another day as the daylight is going especially at the front of the house where I am.

I'm copying a pair of RTW that I love so instead of a slot in elastic I overlocked (without cutting any off the elastic!) edge of elastic to wrong side top edge of pant then folded over and machined vertically at the 4 seam points. If I say so myself I'm really pleased with the result. I think I have a length of black ponte so I may make another pair. You could also add an ordinary waist band if you wanted to.

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Flobear

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2023, 16:01:34 PM »
I spent the time tidying up!

Me too  :laughing:

I couldn't lay hands on my oven glove pattern and, whilst hunting, did some tidying and organising! 
Didn't find the pattern but found the envelope of small pieces of pattern paper for fpp mug rugs.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2023, 16:33:51 PM »
One oven glove done, it took me longer to find a part of my machine than anything else  :laughing: other one is cut out and ready to sew.

Lucky they are for me as I forgot to change the thread on the outside and sewed it is Red without thinking, it doesn’t show much so I am not bothering to unpick it. 

Sewing was easy it was the turning the right side in that took ages.  :laughing:

I am so glad you were all there or I might not have got started, I wasn’t feeling much like sewing but I am pleased now.

Celia

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2023, 16:35:53 PM »
@Helen M i think I have that pattern too I was also worried it would be too wide, I might dig it out for the spring.

Here is the first glove

Diane

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2023, 16:46:37 PM »
@Celia loving the fabric choice  :loveit:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40