The Sewing Place

Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm

Elnnina

Re: Weekly Sewing Club Wednesdays 2-4pm
« Reply #810 on: March 27, 2024, 23:26:00 PM »
Thanks for your advice Helen M, Ellabella and Ouryve, I have tried doing these sleeves both ways, and have even hand tacked a line to follow, this fabric seems to have a mind of its own.  The Avalon stabiliser on top i.e. on the right side seems to help stop the tunnelling but I have yet to soak them in water to remove this.  As I have said they are only thermal vests, so they will have to do.  Perhaps I was too ambitious in trying to coverstitch these as a first attempt - it is a steep learning curve though.

I am lucky in that I have another smaller overlocker, so I will leave the bigger/fancier one set up for coverstitch and come back to this again when further into my journey of discovering today's type of knits.  This machine luckily lives in my sewing cabinet - the pull out side unit, so it is out of the way and thus not likely to get knocked, but I will leave several post it notes stuck on it saying what I have done in the way of changing things.

Ouryve

« Reply #811 on: April 03, 2024, 15:02:20 PM »
I'll not be managing 2 hours, this afternoon. I've made a start on quilting my foxes but the light is dreadful and I can't put the overhead spots on with Youngest around. I have a headache with trying to see what I'm doing and I'm making such a hash of things that I'm going to call it a day. I think I'm going to look for some more thread, anyhow, as the one I've chosen is a bit too pale.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sheilago

« Reply #812 on: April 03, 2024, 15:41:12 PM »
I’ve started quilting my 3rd scrappy quilt. This one I’m going to keep to give as a present eventually. The design is so geometric that I’m , unusually, doing lots of straight line quilting with the walking foot. I might do a little bit of  fmq in each block, I’ll see.

Elnnina

« Reply #813 on: April 03, 2024, 15:41:50 PM »
I am here still playing with my blouse.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #814 on: April 03, 2024, 16:20:32 PM »
No sewing this week.  I’ve been knitting socks. 

Silver Rose

« Reply #815 on: April 03, 2024, 16:43:11 PM »
I shortened the sleeves of my dressing gown and then cut out a long sleeved t shirt top in one of the floral jerseys I have had a few weeks.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #816 on: April 03, 2024, 17:37:20 PM »
I did manage half an hour in my sewing room this afternoon preparing my wall hanging for hanging.  It was a bit nerve racking at first punching holes in my quilt(s) but it all went according to plan.  I need to do some measuring and drilling now.
Life's too short for ironing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #817 on: April 03, 2024, 18:47:09 PM »
Managed to finish tractor 🚜 shorts mark 2 for my twin grandsons. Will be away for a few days and then I'll be sewing the matching tee shirts..
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

toileandtrouble

« Reply #818 on: April 03, 2024, 19:31:14 PM »
I have been knitting patches to put inside jumper elbows before I make good the stitches round the worn out bits.  DIL says DS has pointy elbows.  I think it is because the left elbow rests on the desk all the time he is using his mouse.  For design work, he uses the mouse a lot.
Haven't got to the sewing in part yet.  Preparing to sew?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Helen M

« Reply #819 on: April 03, 2024, 19:39:34 PM »
I did manage to overlock cut edges of some fabric prior to throwing it in the washing machine on the 15 min cycle. I didn't have that programme on my old machine but it's handy for doing that when something isn't at all dirty.

I have the same problem with OH's sweaters @toileandtrouble!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

twopence

« Reply #820 on: April 03, 2024, 21:26:37 PM »
Having cut out my jacket this morning, I spent this afternoon sewing it.  As it's the third one that I have made I know what I'm doing and was so absorbed that I nearly missed tea.  More tomorrow.

Silver Rose

« Reply #821 on: April 10, 2024, 14:37:14 PM »
Good afternoon, anybody in? I have just posted my today's sewing efforts in yesterday's thread by mistake   :o  so today I have sewn the sleeves into my top and am ready to finish the hems.
Still learning

Ouryve

« Reply #822 on: April 10, 2024, 14:52:03 PM »
I'm quilting my cushion fronts. As IANAQ, it's all very experimental and may look terrible. Finding inspiration and guidance online has been surprisingly challenging because there isn't much between absolute beginner at everything sewing machine related and elaborate fmq and/or ruler work.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Elnnina

« Reply #823 on: April 10, 2024, 15:32:10 PM »
Loved the comments made about my disappearing under all this bedding, and yes I am somewhat.  Have come across a hurdle in that this rather oversized mattress cover supposedly for a 6ft bed is actually only 180cm either way and thus is too short in length for my mattress, so I am going to add a strip of cotton sheeting to one end i.e. the end under the pillow, and then box both ends, just a little more work but I am sure it won't matter, after all it is only me and my husband using these beds.  However when I am either overlocking or using the sewing machine, there is such a volume of white fabric being whooshed under the needle - luckily my cabinet opens towards the back so I have quite an area which is just right for this volume of fabric - I am so glad that I thought about this when I chose my cabinet.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #824 on: April 10, 2024, 16:35:12 PM »
I did finish my palm tree wrap top thingy but although it fits it is not in the least bit flattering on me, so that'll be off to a new home at some point. I could make some alterations to it, but the fabric doesn't suit me anyway so I don't think its worth it.

So today I've been rearranging things in the sewing room so I can put another machine in the cupboard, use an electrical socket that was blocked in, access Burda magazines and etc etc. I can also now reach my guitar/music and my drawing board/large paper which also live in here.

Not quite got to the point where it is better than when I started,but not far off, after that need to decide what to do next. Currently leaning towards doing the next steps on my Mystery quilt as the video came out today.
After a garment wadder experience, quilting is safe!