The Sewing Place

Block of the month - July - Shimmer

supergran

Re: Block of the month - July
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2017, 21:15:38 PM »
Sandra, your block is amazing! Love it.
Meanwhile, I made myself a temporary "design wall" thing by hanging some wadding over the wardrobe door, in an effort to get a straighter view of the block. Not 100% successful, but better than before. It looks a bit wonky although it really measures the same top and bottom. Must be a warped door.  :|

Sandra

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2017, 21:33:10 PM »
Thank you for your compliments  :) Nice to know you like it.

I've been having a little look today for my 'missing' outer fabric. I can't step away from the idea of using green...(sorry Lowena). I spotted a wonderful 'grass' fabric, very realistic, but don't wish to spend £13 on it.

I have thought of a batik but haven't found a dark enough shade...in fact, it's been quite difficult to find something dark enough. My sewing isn't tidy enough for a very plain fabric, ( Ha, ha!. Sharp and snappy points. Me? Lol !)... so I have looked at marbled type fabrics.
I'm trying to avoid the colour being too light, because it needs to show up against the strawberry leaf green in the bottom centre.

Anyway, I've found two fabrics, which I have ordered and I'll see which is best.

Confession time..... :(
Due to my shoddy sewing skills, ( I think I cut them accurately?)  I discovered my triangle blocks came up as a different size to the main squares, so have had to re-cut my central squares a bit larger...

Worse than that....I didn't have enough of some of the fabrics, so some of them have had to have pieces added on to extend them...(Blimey. That makes it sound a right botch-up). It sounds worse than it looks...honest. It's so loud and busy, you can't see unless you look for it....and I've pattern matched!...In fact, if I hadn't mentioned it.....(especially if I photograph it from a good distance away ;)).

I'm (just about) OK cutting my fabrics with the rotary cutter, but I'm not stitching an accurate quarter inch seam.
I must invest in a special foot for my machine.

It's looking good so far. I've stitched what I can to hold it all together.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2017, 07:11:31 AM »
Fabulous SG, thanks for doing that.
It is a hard block to get a completely straight pic of as its so big but at last July has a block so

Supergran .... Off you go
Into the BOM HOF with you.....

:angel:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2017, 07:19:04 AM »
Don't beat yourself up Sandra... we all stitch different 1/4" seams, even with the special foot.

But I bet they are consistent and if they are consistent the block will go together fine ...
so it may be  23 1/2" instead of 24" ... so what?
If all your blocks are 23 1/2" (or trimmed to the least measurement) you still have a quilt and who (apart from the QP) goes around measuring the blocks in quilts???

I love the fact you had to add fabric !!!!  :D

I have often done that, when I've cut wrong or as you say, I needed a 6 inch square and only had a 4" wide piece of fabric ... Generally it doesn't show ...

in fact I would challenge anyone to spot the joins in the Undulating terror (oh yes! I ran out of fabric for that one when I was constructing the strata) and even in my own Shimmer block!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:20:38 AM by Iminei »

Sandra

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »
OK....Here it is!

I asked my parents when they visited yesterday afternoon which fabric they preferred for the 'filler' around the edges, and they both said to use this one.
The other fabric was a darker green, much more plain but it looked flat and dull and a bit boring.

Sandra.
xxx

Vegegrow

« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »
That's fabulous Sandra
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
Words fail me ......Absolutely Amazing, Awesome

BOM HOF here you come ........

:angel:

Lowena

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2017, 09:46:29 AM »
What a lovely block Sandra  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »
You've got it spot on there Sandra, it's stunning - it must be huge.
I will finish mine although it is a bit of a car crash.  I knew the fabrics weren't right but didn't really know to what extent until I started to put it together.  Out of all the BOMs to date this one has enthused me the least but has been another valuable exercise in fabric choice.
Life's too short for ironing.

Pearl

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »
Stunning, Sandra.

Interesting that this doesn't enthuse you, Ploshy.  I am really enjoying the process.  Hope to finish it today, but I think I posted that on Monday.    :)

supergran

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »
That's fantastic Sandra. How Big is it, it looks enormous?

Sandra

« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
Thank you  :)

It's not that big....it only measures 41.5 inches square.

Once I found I'd got 8 fruit fabrics already in my stash, I couldn't stop myself from going larger on the block to make the most of the shimmer effect.

It looks awful as you're putting it together. Really loud and clashy. You have to stand back to appreciate the effect.

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2017, 13:58:31 PM »
Wow!  <3
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2017, 16:51:30 PM »
Incredible!!  And... delicious!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

maliw

« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2017, 19:40:05 PM »
Fabulous, good enough to eat!!! Sorry couldn't resist.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula