The Sewing Place

TSP's Official Stashbusting Thread for 2023

Lyn-J

Re: TSP's Official Stashbusting Thread for 2023
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 10:39:08 AM »
Help!
What on earth am I going to do with 2 boxes of chiffon and georgette. Just why have I got so much  :facepalm:
Going to try and use some of this year.
The rest of my stash is quite usable: cottons, viscose and coatings.
Going to make a pair of jeans first.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 10:43:21 AM »
Help!
What on earth am I going to do with 2 boxes of chiffon and georgette. Just why have I got so much  :facepalm:
Going to try and use some of this year.

Waiting for an answer to that one myself, I also have a load of those rolls of 8" organza.  Also, does anyone have an idea what I can do with 10 metres of white to red to black ombre satin?  OH liked it when we visited Immanuels about 10 years ago and bought it on the premise that he liked it and I would find something to do with it one day  :\

My name is Bumblebuncher and I am married to an enabler  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ann

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 11:35:33 AM »
@Bumblebuncher, I love that song. Perfect.

I have a rule that on December 31 where all fabric becomes stash on January 1. Works for me.

I started to make a Microwaveable bag for baked potatoes yesterday and am quilting it (well cross-hatching it). When done, I will have sewn 3.9 meters of fabric this month. I have sewn flannel left over from that I made DGS pyjama pants 2021 and 2022. I made a doll's shawl and undergarments and now the microwave bag. To date I haven't bought any fabric. When I have a chance to go to the quilt shops they are closed. So far so good but I do need to get .5 meter for a project on the list for next month.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Helen M

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 12:41:55 PM »
I count anything over 6 months old. Pants that are just about finished are made from fabric bought in 2019.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2023, 14:38:47 PM »
I can virtuously report the consumption of 4 more metres today in the pj department, that makes around 6 altogether  :angel: The problem I have is working out how many metres I am using so I suppose the usage thing is more of an estimate but still more than 0.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 00:57:24 AM »
@Bumblebuncher just go by the yardage (meterage? ) from the pattern or how much length was needed. So if you needed a meter in length but it just used up half the width count it as the meter. The other bit is a remnant. Deal with that how you wish.  ;)

Estimation is fine.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 09:43:06 AM »
I love the new Anthem, very appropriate!  My stash has also built up over years, and I am easily persuaded that I need fabric - I mean when you only have one fabric shop left in town, and you are browsing, well, it would be rude not to buy - wouldn't it?  ;)  I count anything which has been put away and not sewn as stash - because once it goes into those drawers and boxes, I don't see it for a while... :embarrassed:

Hoping to shift, a few metres in the next few weeks.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 10:54:04 AM »
@Renegade Sewist What is this pattern thing of which you speak?
What makes you think I would know how much of each fabric I actually possess.  You give me far too much credit for being organised young lady  :laughing:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 18:57:22 PM »
@Bumblebuncher then plan B. You, I, whoever needs it makes a cheat sheet list of basic garments with typical yardage needed. We could consider yards and meters to be the same for simplicity sake and do a range that would cover from small to large.

Or you can use this chart from mimi G or any of the others online. Make a tee, look at the chart, adjust as needed and use that number as the amount you used. Any overage is considered wastage or remnant. Easy peasy. Mimi does credit sewing for dummies for the chart. :thumb:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 21:36:03 PM »
@Renegade Sewist Thank you  :D I think I need to pay more attention to how much I am cutting out from and work out the measurement from there!
A lot of the fabric I bought in larger than normal quantities because it was supposed to be for pantomime costumes.  Then when it all stopped (member disasters and then Covid) I had to sort through it all when I moved.  I kept the nice stuff and the rest is still stashed away under the stage in a church hall in deepest darkest Norfolk  :laughing:
The problem is most of it was bought without any plans on making it into clothes for me and I often look at it completely stumped.  But it is mostly very strokable so I keep it  :rolleyes:

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2023, 10:08:41 AM »
I was intending to cut out either a coat, or another sweater dress yesterday.  Instead, I cut out and sewed another sweater!  Same pattern, different collar.  It's not quite finished yet, I haven't overlocked the inside collar, because I may need to alter the back collar - I think I need to wear it first though.

Same with the hem, I did alter the pattern piece, but it still feels a tad long, we'll see.  I also altered the collar, as I didn't want it too low - I raised it by 2cms, and I like it.

It's very wearable, and I like it - even if I only wear it around the house.

I did have a bit of a disaster though.  After I cut the front out, I noticed that there was large yellow writing marking the fabric.  I didn't have enough to cut another, so, after trying other means, it was a Sharpie to the rescue! Can you see it?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2023, 21:09:39 PM »
Looks great @b15erk.  Sharpie pens are so useful.

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2023, 21:13:41 PM »
@b15erk I have looked and looked and I can't see anything!  Lovely top.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2023, 11:23:43 AM »
@Acorn , it's on the left armhole, halfway down the sleeve - it looks a bit darker  ;)  Does that mean I've got away with it?  :laugh:

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2023, 11:36:09 AM »
@b15erk You certainly have - I've zoomed in and I still can't see it!   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.