The Sewing Place

TSP's Official Stashbusting Thread for 2023

b15erk

Re: TSP's Official Stashbusting Thread for 2023
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2023, 11:45:46 AM »
@Acorn , just for you!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 11:50:22 AM »
Lovely job!   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2023, 21:54:18 PM »
Heck, no one's going to notice that!   Good save! 

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2023, 23:08:59 PM »
Another 4.5 metres used on the kimono/dressing gown. I have sewn over 10 metres and it is still January  :dance:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2023, 16:44:42 PM »
And another 3.5 metres on another kimono, I am on a roll (so is some of my fabric).
Now what to do next?
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ann

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2023, 10:33:15 AM »
Wahoo to all the stash busters. I'm plugging away at mine very slowly. I worked on a wall hanging and never turned on the machine for nearly 3 weeks. It was cut and fuse the pieces. When I added the borders it was the first time I had machine sewn. I have it ready to quilt and it is sitting waiting for me to decide if I will pay someone to do it or learn how. When done, 2.9 meters of fabric will have been used from the kit and the stash. I'm counting it as this has been in the stash for 15 years.

I have since made a gift bag that I did the embroidery on the day I started the wall hanging. I enjoyed the project very much even if it only used .25 meter of fabric.

I made DD piping and got almost 3 meters of it out of .25 meters of fabric.

With knitting, I have knit 280 gr of yarn and am working my way through another 150 grams knitting a pair of socks.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

coffeeandcake

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2023, 11:37:13 AM »
Ooh, I love that gift bag @Ann

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2023, 12:24:38 PM »
That’s very nice @Ann

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2023, 13:12:14 PM »
That bag is lovely @Ann , both the embroidery and the bag itself.

Ann

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2023, 12:12:13 PM »
It is the end of the month and I sewed 6.575 meters (give or take that .075meter). I have sewn a total of 10.825 meters in total. But, I fell off the wagon yesterday and bought 8.2 meters for projects that must be sewn this month. I also got the interfacing and batting for those projects. I know it will be almost all gone when I get done sewing 5 bags for DD. I have the fabric for 3 of them and will need to get the fabric for the other 2. Some of the fabric I bought yesterday is for a small quilt for the cat and some walker bags I will donate to a long term care home. With spring still a long way off (snow for the next 3 days) I will be busy in the sewing room having fun.
Stash Busting 2023

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2023, 14:11:22 PM »
Well that reminds me that I used a metre with GS1 so I did achieve something this month  :dance: I have now used around 15 metres from stash!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2023, 16:01:31 PM »
Just totted it up and with the use of stash on three of five capsule wardrobe bits I am now at 25 metres for the first three months of the year!  I do not want to work out how much I have bought but I am sure it is less as I now have empty spaces which were not there in January!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2023, 09:27:59 AM »
Used 3 metres of fashion fabric and lining for waistcoat and 2 metres for the shirt both from stash so now totting up to 30  metres of stash used this year  :o Some of it is languishing in the "I don't like what it turned out like but will leave it a while and see if I can rescue it" corner but I will call that my "learning curve" corner from now on.

Ann

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2023, 13:26:43 PM »
I am bringing this up again. I have forgotten to update my progress.

I haven't been as good as I should have been. I've bought fabric to make projects and ignored the stash which I had covered to keep the sun and dust off of. I have since opened it up and gasped at what I had behind the curtain. Out of sight, out of mind.

On July 1, we cleaned the garage up and are preparing for a yard sale next May. I had a plastic drawer unit out there and I took it downstairs to the sewing room once I had cleaned it up. I am slowly putting fabric in it as this will be my stash unit. That lead me down a rabbit hole. A good rabbit hole. I hauled out a UFO quilt and decided it was time to prep it for the lady to long arm quilt it. That used up 1.5 meters of fabric with my neighbour taking the scraps for the quilter's guild she belongs to. I got excited and pulled the fabric of the stash shelving unit. I spent some time sorting, pressing and deciding on what I could donate. I ended up donating 18 meters and getting 2 cloth bags prepped from the stash. The third bag I had to buy fabric for as it is a gift for DD and I didn't have the colours to go with the panel she had bought.

I have been working on what I call the big project (6 meters of fabric); placemats, bowl cozies, potholders, and mug rugs for quite a long time. I am almost done. I was prepping them so I could sew them every other week at a quilt store and then finishing them up at home. I have had to stop going to sew at the shop as the classroom's a/c is broken and the room is too hot for me. It took me 2 days to recover the last time I went. I've been focusing on finishing them up at home. I hope to be done by Saturday and then move on to the bags.

I am collecting the fabric for a quilt I want to start in December. I have the white and backing bought and will buy the black next. I know exactly what I want for it. I am looking for the background fabric and will buy it when I find it. I also need to buy the backing, batting, and binding for the cardinal quilt. It is the next quilt I am working on. I will do some on it each day as I must continue to work on reducing the stash. Once I starch the fabrics, I will spend 10-15 minutes a day cutting out pieces when I'm done sewing for the afternoon. It is amazing how fast the pieces get cut. Once they are all cut, I will sew a block a day and label them. When done, I will do the quilt as you go technique for it. My focus right now is to get the big project done and start on the bags.

So far this year I have sewn/donated 52.7 meters of fabric and bought 32.6 meters. About 75% of the purchased fabric has been sewn. I know my purchases will be more until the end of the year. Then I will focus on a couple of quilts I have in the stash drawer unit and more projects using up the fabric on the stash shelving unit. I won't be covering up the fabric again for a while. When I do, I will open it up a couple of times a month so I can plan projects from the stash.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2023, 10:29:07 AM »
I have done my totals and I did pretty good in July

• 8.6 meters sewn
  • 18.05 meters donated
  • 4.5 meters of interfacing/fusible fleece used (I don't track this but it has made a huge dent in the interfacing stash)
  • 7.8 meters bought of which 2.5 meters has been sewn

I am working on finishing up 3 bags I started last month and then it will be on to cutting and sewing more fabrics. I am also cleaning the sewing room as it really needed it.
Stash Busting 2023