The Sewing Place

2023 Capsule Wardrobe Sewalong

SewRuthieSews

Re: 2023 Capsule Wardrobe Sewalong
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 22:25:11 PM »
A quick question, can the things made in SWAP also be put into the competitions?

yes, this is a sew along so doesn't impinge on any of the contests.

mudcat

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 07:05:31 AM »
Once I get my new sewing room organized (fabric is still in boxes) I'll have a go at this.  I need clothes for the much colder weather here.

Kwaaked

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 10:41:27 AM »
This is the inspiration:  This is the part of the Natchez trace I follow along weekly.  I'd link my own pics, but this is a decent overview without my artsy fartsy perspective I am working from (Just add in any out of focus, yellow flowered, shady trees...you'll get the idea).

Collection is partly based on this, partly because I need glamping clothes.  Shorts are if I have enough fabric.

Editing to add fabric:  Camo is a cotton twill, khaki and olive is a poly linen blend, bras are jersey, yellow top is challis.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:48:38 AM by Kwaaked »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 10:49:10 AM »
That's a great looking plan @Kwaaked! Mine is a rather more basic version hand drawn and coloured in with colouring pencils.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 13:02:21 PM »
Mmmm :thinking:  I only wear patterns on top normally.  Makes it a bit limiting.
I’ve never done one of these capsules before.  (Probably because fabric is so difficult to get down here. ).

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 15:38:04 PM »
Following @SewRuthieSews example I have started my own SWAP diary but here is my plan with actual fabrics but not necessarily what I will end up with making!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2023, 15:41:29 PM »
Those look fab @Bumblebuncher, its definitely got a cohesive goth fairy look to to it. You obviously have a really good handle on your personal style.

BlueCat

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2023, 15:46:02 PM »
Following @SewRuthieSews example I have started my own SWAP diary but here is my plan with actual fabrics but not necessarily what I will end up with making!
Ooh...I like the look of those. Is the little lacy/tunic top, at bottom, a pattern you have/know of? Fancy making something like that for myself

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2023, 15:59:15 PM »
@BlueCat I don't have a pattern for this but will be 'adapting' a maternity dress pattern I have from when I was pregnant with my 32 year old daughter  :laughing:
style2267
@SewRuthieSews I am only cohesive in my mind, it all goes to pot in reality  :sorry:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2023, 16:00:53 PM »
@Kwaaked loving that pop of yellow, it really brings the other colours out of themselves  :D

Kwaaked

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2023, 18:24:53 PM »
@Bumblebuncher yeah...I notice the buttercups when we go in the spring more then anything.  Colors are a little muted for the time of year, but camo is somewhat limiting anyway plus I specifically wanted a natural shaded fashion twill (instead of blue, orange or pink).

I used the actual fabric swatches as the color of the garments with a bit of Photoshop and it's only 6 patterns, 5 of which are McVoguerick.  Only major thing is the camo pant, and I'll have to work on a pant block to get it (but Mueller und Sohn have the directions), so this is pretty much how it will look.

If I can find a yellow jacket from Talbots (they make the sort I want in and have a weird yellow color to boot) I'll add it to the collection...but while most of this is a "glamping" capsule and meant to wear off grid (and by that, I mean sitting in a chair, reading a book and petting my donkey and mule)most of it can switch into my regular work clothes with a bit of accessorizing.

Sewingsue

Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 08:20:02 AM »
its 1st Feb, so sewing may commence!

Though I've just got a pile of fabrics and a hand drawn plan.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2023, 08:56:21 AM »
Day out but hoping to get some needed interfacing then hitting the sewing tomorrow!

indigotiger

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2023, 05:14:18 AM »

I fell in love with this printed fabric last year, for some reason the combination of the complex colorway and the conversational landscape really spoke to me, so much so that I broke my intention to not purchase new fabric, and bought enough to make a blouse. There are practically all the colors in my wardrobe to a greater or lesser degree, as well as a whole variety of bright or subtle accent colors.

I see teal and turquoise, of course, which is what first attracted my eye, as those are the newest colors in my everyday clothing. In addition, there are indigo blues from dark navy to pale, taupe, greys dark and light, a number of green and greenish mixed hues, and some startling pinks and even a tiny bit of yellow and white. The landscape feels very PNW to me, with islands in water, and here and there the woodland rhododendrons. This is going to be my springtime sewing inspiration.

What am I going to make? First off, this fabric will become a blouse. I have some dark teal heavy linen, which will become a pinafore. The blouse will also coordinate with my grey linen pinafore and others, and the teal pinafore will coordinate with a number of tops, blouses, and dresses already in my closet. If I really feel the mojo, I have a length of plaid checked cotton flannel in teal and dark blue, that could be made up into a shirt.  (I would like to make a reverse applique cardigan jacket with some of the teal cotton lycra jersey that has been waiting on my shelf for the last two years, but still don't have a clear vision for that piece, so I will continue to wait...)
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry