The Sewing Place

2023 Capsule Wardrobe Sewalong

Renegade Sewist

Re: 2023 Capsule Wardrobe Sewalong
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2023, 05:35:02 AM »
@indigotiger lovely fabric Alison. Nice to have you here too. Do you know who the fabric is by? It's quite lovely, is it cotton or something else? I'd like to see if anymore is available or other ones from the manufacturer. Thanks.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2023, 09:32:43 AM »
@indigotiger what beautiful fabric. It'll be superb in a blouse and work so well with your existing wardrobe colours.

CCL

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2023, 16:50:16 PM »
So inspired by you all, I put the stash busting projects on a back burner and am now addressing a wardrobe gap with the February 3-Pac.   Making 3- piece PJs  -hopefully two tops and one bottom... but it will depend on the fabric scraps if I get all three out of the two pieces of fabric earmarked for this. 

I actually do have a quantity of things on my project list that I was hoping to work out a 6-piece sew-along plan, but the need for them is not immediate and I could definitely use some new PJs.
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

CCL

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2023, 16:33:55 PM »
I finished the pj bottoms yesterday, and am trying to finish the matching top today.   Thank you, @SewRuthieSews and fellow travelers for the kickstart to get going on some needed gap fillers.   With luck, I might have a hanger shot of the first two later this week...and maybe even a start of the third piece.   If I finish all three before the end of February that will be a first ever for this very slow sewer!
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2023, 17:08:35 PM »
@CCL being a very slow sewer myself I will be surprised if I get all items finished by the end of the year let alone the month but at least I have one started!
I think I just need sleeves and buttons to have a completed top but time has flown by.  I am going to do a wrap skirt as my second because even I can't take that long over it  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2023, 17:27:54 PM »
I've made a gilet/waistcoat with pockets, but it wasn't part of my SWAP plan (though it would work with those items I think) so I've not put it on here.

I've been playing with the SWAP concept a long time and got myself automatic SWAP vision, that I sew in capsules a lot of the time!

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2023, 00:38:01 AM »
I think I have finally came up with a loose plan.

This is my inspiration

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is a fabric that I purchased from Mood a while back. I’ve been trying to come up with a way to use it for once in a while wear. I love the print and the softness of this rayon fabric.

My planish

To make two tops from this pattern and hopefully in those two fabrics. I will need to muslin this pattern as it’s new to me.
The one fabric is the Mood and the other a rayon from Apple Annie’s thanks to CCL,

Then to make one more top using this pattern and fabric. The fabric came from Apple Annie’s and is another rayon.

Then (lots of thens I know) make two pairs of shorts from my TNT pattern and these two fabrics both denim.

The last item is one that I had made before SWAP which is my jeans.

This is as close as I can come to the guidelines with what I need, like and must have to wear. Now I better get a move on…

Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

So Chic

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2023, 13:12:37 PM »
@SewRuthieSews    Thanks for the explanation for a capsule wardrobe and I will try to follow and adapt to my lifestyle to make my wardrobe more interesting.  When I was working I nearly always tried to make three main items comprising jacket, skirt, and trousers and then I’d either make or buy tops to match. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2023, 14:01:37 PM »
Not intending to participate in this one, but putting a shout out for a bunch of patterns I'm getting rid of in the For Sale/Free thread, many of which meet the definition of capsule wardrobe if you're still working for a living, in an office environment at least!

CCL

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2023, 20:51:55 PM »
@Bumblebuncher  - Oh, you gave me an idea!  I too love a wrap skirt... I have an old pattern somewhere that I may have to dig out.   SLOW SEWERS unit!

However, I did manage to get the PJs made.  I didn't have enough for the pocket bags or bias trim, so hit the scrap bag.  Wasn't very smart about it as I just grabbed what I could when I finished the pants, and there wasn't enough of that scrap to do the binding, so I had to find something else.  But they are PJs - nobody's going to see me wearing them -- and I am so happy to have finished something this year that I don't care!

pjs by CCL photos, on Flickr

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2023, 21:34:29 PM »
@CCL Ah yes, the joy of the pj's, I felt really pleased when I made some of them this year!  I feel we are definitely on the same page of the Reader's Digest sewing manual  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2023, 15:18:37 PM »
I’ve been cranking away at my plan. I had to make some changes due to fabric purchases delays. Such is life.

I have my gray Clarke top finished and am working on the black shorts in hopes of completing them before the end of the month.
The gray top will go with either the black shorts or my denim jeans that I completed before the start of this Sewalong. I don’t wear three coordinating garments at one time so that is why I have sets of two.
These are garments that I will mostly wear year round (aka: hot flashes).

I don’t have one of those fancy drawing plans to lay out my makes so this is the best I could do with what I have :-)

This is my plan and is subject to change :-)

Lachica

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2023, 17:16:56 PM »
Love the drawings!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2023, 20:42:46 PM »
Holy, that drawing is pretty big when I look at it on my desktop computer. It sure didn't look that big on my ipad.
Sorry everyone.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2023, 20:44:45 PM »
Love the drawings!

I did that at 3:00 in the morning LOL.

Honestly, that plan/drawing is what held me up from posting. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to put a plan together. I finally came up with this. My drawing skills are a no bueno.