The Sewing Place

New to me Singer 185k

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: New to me Singer 185k
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 14:52:38 PM »
Having seen the price of motor and foot pedals, I'll stick to what I've got for now.

After giving the top pf the table a gentle wipe down with soapy water, it became apparent the varnish(?) was just dissolving/turning to dust and would just srape off with a finger nail.  Today I've sanded it all off.
I think I'll aim to keep it this lighter colour, but now need to work out what varnish/wax/stuff to put on it.

Before and after pics.
And yes, right at the end, I caught the edge of the veneer and took a teensy bit off  :angry: :cry:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 15:19:48 PM »
Looking good! Amazing what a little TLC does.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 15:50:10 PM »
I now can't decide how to finish/seal the wood...

coffeeandcake

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 16:14:56 PM »
I now can't decide how to finish/seal the wood...
Danish oil, or a good quality wax Briwax or maybe pure beeswax. I generally use Liberon oil (if I'm going down the oil route) for sealing wood because that's what we have. If you do oil it you'll need to apply a few coats and wipe away excess oil before each coat dries and then wire wool when dry to get rid of 'high' spots.

Sewbusy

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2023, 17:16:10 PM »
@coffeeandcake Thank you - Danish oil looks ideal!  Now ordered!  And I've found my wire wool ready.

@Sewbusy Well spotted!!  Bid placed!

I do love this forum  :loveit: :loveit:

Sewbusy

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2023, 17:31:32 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  I'm not too au fait with what Singer parts will fit what machines but that one was easy. The ((K motor I've just bought comes with three light/lamps one of which is brown, was going to offer it you for postage if it would fit, however you've got one now.

I know slightly more about Berninas.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 18:17:08 PM »
@Sewbusy My machine actually has the brown light, it's really just the motor I need, so hope I get the ebay one.

Marniesews

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2023, 01:25:09 AM »
Lovely machine of character but, my, that table is stylish!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2023, 10:41:17 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper , your table is looking amazing, you've done an excellent job!  :loveit: Good find with the motor, your machine will look very co-ordinated.

How is it running?  I took mine out of its box yesterday, and although it was a bit dusty, after a bit of oil and a tickle with a duster, it still runs nicely.  Not as quiet as the 99k, but a lovely sound to my ears...  Unfortunately, my light isn't working and I have no means of fixing it, so my Ottlite is being used until I charge the little LED's.

Look forward to seeing how yours looks in it's swanky cabinet with its new motor.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2023, 11:47:38 AM »
The table has had it's second coat of Danish oil this morning, it's looking great.

@b15erk It is a bit noisy, and as you say, not quite a nice noise, so I'm wondering if the motor will make a difference when I get it.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2023, 09:49:02 AM »
It seems I've cocked up.  The motor I've bought is the correct one and comes with a light too - but - I now need the foot pedal and lead to connect the two.  The motor I currently have has a different connection  so my current foot pedal lead won't fit :S

I have a solution pending on ebay...

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2023, 09:59:36 AM »
That's a nuisance @Bodgeitandscarper , I did that when I brought the 185k home - I brought the wrong lead, not thinking that they weren't interchangeable.

Mine is set in position now, on top of the 15k treadle which I have dropped down - wish I had a lovely cabinet for it ;)

I love the narrow stitching foot which comes with the Singers, I do wish I could get something similar for the Pfaff...

Can you use the 185k as it is, until you get the right footpedal?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2023, 10:05:27 AM »
It's looking good so far.

For parts Helen Howes is good.
The other option is Sew Lincs run by Graham who runs/moderates the Vintage Singer Sewing Machines UK group on FB where he calls himself Dave Dong.

There are two sorts of spool pins; screw in and push in, you might need to investigate the hole to know which one you need.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 10:35:32 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2023, 15:55:48 PM »
I can use it as it is, @b15erk , but will leave it out of the table for now and get it all sorted before using it I think.

Thanks for the info @BrendaP , I'd forgotten about SewLincs.