The Sewing Place

Cutting Dressmaking Fabric

Bumblebuncher

Re: Cutting Dressmaking Fabric
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2023, 09:52:33 AM »
There is a house round the corner from me that has one of those.  It is not a new build and it has been split into flats for renting but I think it is gorgeous and keep on thinking that if I won the lottery I might try and buy it  :D
I am not sure why but I have always wanted either a balcony or a 'dog trot' (I never heard the term and always wondered what they were called), never had one though!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Elnnina

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2023, 12:22:26 PM »
Regarding what I use for cutting out, a few years ago now I managed to acquire a second hand Horn Cutting Cut Table and it is brilliant, a much better height for me to deal with than a dining table, and of course when not in use it folds down and takes up little room.  This older style Horn table has two cupboards in the center - one deeper cupboard, and the other much shallower one stores a lot of my fabric that is wound onto boards and stand up in this cupboard.  the two large flaps also fold down either side of the central cupboards.  The Table is on wheels and if I empty it first I find I can move this around quite easily by myself without any other help.  These days I find I cannot stand for too long, so any cutting out also means I do a bit and then sit down and thus it takes quite a while to complete what I am doing.  Years and years ago when young of course I also used to cut out using the floor - but nowadays I cannot get down onto the floor and if by chance I am on the floor (which is never if I can help it) then I cannot get up again - sadly all part of the getting older part of life and I just have to learn how to deal with things in a way I can manage.

Kwaaked

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2023, 13:31:18 PM »
@Renegade Sewist common usage is a misnomer. YOU may not use it, but I grew up with it.  My mother tried to make me use the more California-esque "Breezeway House" but "dog trot" implies the rustic, off grid Appalachian type of dwelling that I do have. 

This style of house in the US is common in the American South, and most of us would know the style by the name.  Commonality in the US is often based on region...you are not a Southerner, and therefore the term is not common to you; I pass by a handful on any given day modern and not.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2023, 14:58:44 PM »
Exactly, it's mostly a rural Appalachian term and type of architecture. In California breezeways were in fancier homes than what you've described and depicted. They were a thing in the 50s and very early 60s. Died out then. The breezeway was typically between the house and the detached garage.  I've never come across one between living quarters. Our architecture switched to attached garages by 1960. More practical, has a smaller foot print.

Fstop8uk

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2023, 17:44:02 PM »
I usually use the dining table, but I also have one of these and a set of these to raise it to the right height, for when I'm being sensible. 

The table is strong enough to take two sewing machines as well (which is why mine isn't generally available for cutting...)

the furniture raisers are a great idea!

Fstop8uk

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2023, 17:50:54 PM »
Thank you all for your input. Looks like I'll start using my dining room table. I can extend to a decent length. Just need to get cutting mats as I do like the idea of using rotary cutter (as seen on Sewing Bee!) I love that programme.......

Acorn

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2023, 18:46:15 PM »
... (as seen on Sewing Bee!) I love that programme.......

The new series is starting this month!!   :D  Nobody seems to know when yet, though.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2023, 00:43:03 AM »
Just need to get cutting mats as I do like the idea of using rotary cutter (as seen on Sewing Bee!) I love that programme.......

Some of the rotary cutting by Sewing Bee contestants has been scary, I'm surprised there haven't been a lot of cut fingers!
I've also seen some very inaccurate freehand rotary cutting on that programme.  I'm old school and it's always shears or scissors for cutting garment pieces.  Rotary cutters are for straight cuts against an acrylic ruler.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2023, 09:11:30 AM »
I cut on the dining table using scissors. I think rotary cutters are best for small straight cuts, as in patchwork. Also, I'm quite keen on keeping my fingers intact.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Celia

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2023, 09:17:20 AM »
I use a rotary cutter for dressmaking especially cutting jersey fabrics but I do use a small size, the big ones I keep for straight cuts.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2023, 09:34:12 AM »
I cut on the dining table using scissors. I think rotary cutters are best for small straight cuts, as in patchwork. Also, I'm quite keen on keeping my fingers intact.

Rotary cutters work quite nicely for long cuts. You just need the right size, the right rulers, confidence in your skill and sometimes an anti cut glove for the ruler holding hand. I only need scissors to cut notches, slits and tiny curves. In the long run rotary cutters are much easier on my hands and wrists.

End of the day just cut with what you are most comfortable with.  :meditate:

Ouryve

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2023, 10:20:52 AM »
Unlike on sewing bee, I pin, and weight before using a rotary cutter. I use them for long cuts and curves. I don't have much movement in the base of my thumb so can only use scissors in short bursts before it hurts. The relative speed of  using a cutter also means less time leaning forward for me.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2023, 10:36:18 AM »
Unlike on sewing bee, I pin, and weight before using a rotary cutter. I use them for long cuts and curves. I don't have much movement in the base of my thumb so can only use scissors in short bursts before it hurts. The relative speed of  using a cutter also means less time leaning forward for me.

Yes to all that @Ouryve said. My left thumb now occasionally dislocates at the base. The large ergonomic handle for the rotary cutter avoids that. Regular shears don't. I have some self opening shears from Fiskar that are so so. But yes the rotary cutter feels like less hand stress and fatigue.

I really like having my main cutting table on bed risers. It's a very good height for me.

Bill

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2023, 10:57:59 AM »
My main ruler is around 6" wide so losing a finger is difficult to do unless I'm doing something stupid. I also find rotary cutters brilliant for doing long curves. The only downside to using a rotary cutter really I think is having to use a cutting mat and if they start wearing out they can miss the odd fabric fibre which pulls everything when you go to separate the pieces.
I've 2 pairs of fabric scissors plus the pinking shears and those are kept for really precise cuts, sharp angles and well...pinking.
Every tool has a use here  :)
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2023, 13:09:36 PM »
I’m the same as you @BrendaP and never use a rotary cutter for garments.  It would never be accurate enough for me.  And I find it scary watching them on the sewing bee.  When did using rotary cutters like this actually become a thing ?  :thinking:  I only ever use it for cutting bindings as bias cutting longish strips is easier.  Or cutting out straight pieces