The Sewing Place

Cutting Dressmaking Fabric

Lachica

Re: Cutting Dressmaking Fabric
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2023, 14:37:51 PM »
When did using rotary cutters like this actually become a thing ? 

When someone realised the profit in cutting mats and replacement blades.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2023, 22:38:51 PM »

:laughing:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2023, 23:19:26 PM »
I’m the same as you @BrendaP and never use a rotary cutter for garments.  It would never be accurate enough for me.  And I find it scary watching them on the sewing bee.  When did using rotary cutters like this actually become a thing ?  :thinking:  I only ever use it for cutting bindings as bias cutting longish strips is easier.  Or cutting out straight pieces

It's actually extremely accurate if you are accurate. More so than with shears, or if you prefer, every bit as accurate as with shears. But with less hand fatigue and in less time. Less time equals less bending over the table which means less likelihood of back strain and pain.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2023, 23:22:05 PM »

:laughing:

locally @Lachica replacement blades cost a lot less than the exorbitant fee to sharpen scissors.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2023, 12:27:58 PM »
@Renegade Sewist no I’d never be accurate with one of those. But I am pretty accurate with shears. 
It’s knowing how to handle them properly and how to keep the fabric still when cutting. 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2023, 13:25:21 PM »
@Renegade Sewist no I’d never be accurate with one of those. But I am pretty accurate with shears. 
It’s knowing how to handle them properly and how to keep the fabric still when cutting.

Your last line is exactly how I feel about rotary cutters  @Ohsewsimple;) It's like I said before, it's whichever we are most comfortable with.

When I first bought a rotary cutter it was the then common smaller size. It seemed dangerous. I didn't use it for several years and when I finally did it was only for paper projects. Then a store was closing out cutters and, mats, like 80% off, so I bought an ergonomic large size Fiskar cutter and a couple of mats. OMG!  :scream: That was like the secret ingredient! The bigger blade is much more stable, therefore greater accuracy with less effort. It's actually fun to use. I've never thought that about shears. Plus this particular holder has the blade centered, very unusual. Both right and left handed people can use it without switching the blade to the other side.

Angels sing when I'm using this particular cutter. It's a dream tool.

Bjay

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2023, 17:49:36 PM »
@Acorn thanks.
Now in process of constructing Swedish 'lego' and I know the table will not be high enough for cutting. Those risers sound ideal except I would need  2 sets as there are 6 legs. Never considred it before - I'll let you know  :thumb:
Trying to find my way on the Dark side