The Sewing Place

Guess What I Have?

Bill

Re: Guess What I Have?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2023, 22:44:37 PM »
Clever thinking there @Ouryve  :)
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

LeilaMay

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2023, 23:04:25 PM »
Cruise around on this site for starters

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/gallery_accessories

BrendaP

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2023, 23:45:15 PM »
It’s great to hear of some good news.
Lucky you @Bill and good on the generous TSP member with a vintage machine to spare. 👍
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SingingSinger

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2023, 08:09:15 AM »
I was gifted a 201k from a dear friend. It needed a little TLC but it's a lovely machine to use.

I've got a lot of attachments for it so I'll check if I have any duplicates which might be useful for you @Bill
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

StitchinTime

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2023, 08:31:25 AM »
@Bill I don't know how active the Treadle On community is (or if there are any TSP members in it), but it might have some useful advice on how to clean the machine and/or cabinet.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 08:45:20 AM »
@Bill have a rummage around on youtube for how to use Singer attachments - there are various weird and wonderful things, I'm currently collecting them for my 185k.

Here's a linky.

Nevis5

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2023, 09:29:05 AM »
Am so glad for you @Bill  ! and what a lovely thing for a fellow TSPer to do.   :VV: <3 <3

Bill

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2023, 10:21:08 AM »
I was having a lookie at both machines last night and even got the 9612 running. Quite a nice machine really. It was nice not to have to press a touch screen button a billion times just to select a stitch type or length and also not having a choice of a billion stitch types...there's straight and .... zigzag. Oh and a button hole stitch. That's it! Super!
The few stitches I managed without mangling them up were very nice too. On my first attempt I forgot to pull the top and lower threads and ended up making a very nice thread ball that Garfield would have been proud of. That took some fiddling to free from the machine  :laughing:
Further investigation on the 201k revealed that a screw to pitch the lugs that secure the machine in the table is missing so I need to hunt for one of those. Whether it makes a difference to the actual workings or not I'm not sure but the thread tension mechanism isn't quite all there. I need to source either the numbered dial etc or just buy a while new mechanism. A bit of googling turned some up which looked a bit naff but a few looked original for around £15 so that's next on Bills shopping list. Other than that, I think everything is there :)
I was also given some cream leather offcuts so I'm thinking I'll trim some of that to use as inserts in the drawers to stop everything rattling around.
Oh and I was given some sewing patterns too. Could make myself a lovely dress or two!  :laughing:

Ouryve

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2023, 10:37:17 AM »
I sewed as a student on a borrowed machine very like your 80s Singer. I was sad when I had to give it back.

One of my learning curve things, with Becky was remembering to hand turn with the first stitch or so and only press the pedal with the needle down. Ditto putting the needle down before reversing. It's a different type of sewing to a modern machine - much more emphasis on working the machine, not just the fabric (and definitely more tiring for my dyspraxic self!)

If the cost of repairing the atelier is too steep for you and you decide not to hang onto it, sell it, with faults listed and put some of the money into an overlocker.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

StitchinTime

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2023, 10:52:06 AM »
@Bill Have a look at Helen Howe's website for spare parts and accessories - she has most things for older machines.
https://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2023, 14:43:49 PM »
A treadle 201k! As far as I can make out, 1935.

That’s a beauty. I love these old treadles. Do you have Howard’s Restore-a-Finish where you live? I used that on my 66’s cabinet and it worked great.
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2023, 14:50:55 PM »
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,13539.0.html

^^. Here’s my thread is it helps at all @Bill
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

Bill

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2023, 15:11:43 PM »
Help! I can't wind a bobbin!
I've searched high and low for how to do this but every picture, diagram and vid I find shows the same thing...a tension disc and a spool holder fitted to the base plate at the far right front of the machine...which my 201k doesn't have. No holes in the plate (bed?) for such a part to be fitted either.
I've attached pics which will hopefully be clear enough to give you a better idea of what I'm waffling on about.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bill

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2023, 15:15:14 PM »
Forgot to add...
The 2nd pic shows my attempt at routing the thread to wind the bobbin but what's happening is that the treadle belt is slipping and the winding comes to a halt.

So Chic

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2023, 15:18:25 PM »
@Bill   Lucky you, your treadle looks very similar to my first machine which was a pleasure to use but I was unable to keep it when I bought my first electric machine due to lack of space.  Enjoy your machine.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up