The Sewing Place

Coronation Tailors

Diane

Re: Coronation Tailors
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2023, 10:36:36 AM »
I’ve just watched this, how fascinating and I really enjoyed it  :thumb:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2023, 10:41:22 AM »
`i missed the program so will have to watch it on iPlayer.   :scream:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2023, 11:50:52 AM »
I have just watched it.  There are some fantastic skills in those factories, and an appreciation of solidly made vintage technology.

I thought it was boring and turned off after a few minutes but then anything royal makes my blood boil
 :o  Not at all boring.

@Lowena  I can understand your anti-royal/republican sentimentsx, so don't bother watching the pomp and ceremony on Saturday, but watching those craftsmen at work was fantastic.  I heard on the radio yesterday that the coronation will cost a quarter of a billion pounds - and bring in one billion pounds.  That's got to be a good investment.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ouryve

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2023, 13:11:22 PM »
I thought it was boring and turned off after a few minutes but then anything royal makes my blood boil

And yet you watch cricket  :laughing:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2023, 13:51:30 PM »
Yep....with not a royal button in sight  :P :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2023, 15:19:56 PM »
I’ve just watched it on iPlayer.  :perfect10:

It was absolutely fascinating and not remotely boring unless you have no appreciation for hundreds of years of history and craftsmanship. That 16th century anvil/block of wood thingy…!  😳

I was looking at those shelves of A4 binders with all the hand drawn pictures and detailed notes in them and kept thinking “what if they had a fire!!!” 😱 I hope someone is in the process of digitising all that information. 🤞

I also might have welled up a tiny bit too when Patrick was talking about his father and great grandfather and touching the original metal doo dah. 🥹

KayK

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 15:23:52 PM »
Really enjoyed it, watching the old machinery and old traditional skills.  Rather surprised at Patrick not being able to tell the difference between cotton velvet and silk velvet. Amazing to see the raw wool and then the lovely red fabric.  Would love another couple of programmes about the skills!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2023, 15:31:49 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay I thought the same thing and decided that the 23 year old grandson must have put it on disc somewhere!  I hope!
The anvil and all those boxes of everything ever done there moulds.  The whole thing was one of the most fascinating sewing programmes I have ever seen!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Silver Rose

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2023, 15:48:10 PM »
I enjoyed it too, such skill, Seamus the mascot Irish  wolfhound looked great in his coat.
Still learning

Cheesecake

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2023, 16:44:03 PM »
This sounds interesting, I'm rather busy at moment but hoping I remember to watch it.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2023, 17:54:41 PM »
Regarding Charlie boy getting blinged up, I can barely contain my indifference.  However, I was deeply impressed with the show, which I watched this afternoon.  The amount of made-to-measure kit the tailors made had me gobsmacked.  The old geezer standing on one leg for hours to shape a helmet was astonishing.

Loved Seamus the Irish Wolfhound's new coat!  I might be tempted to watch the procession, just to catch him in it.

Lachica

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2023, 18:09:19 PM »
I'm not a royalist but I don't like the idea of a dictatorship. Our RF seems mostly benign, and I'm pleased with the way Charles is slimming it down. Though he's a billionaire & no IHT was paid on the Queen's vast fortune when many more of us mere mortals get clobbered nowadays. I've also noticed no one is bowing and curtseying now, very pleased about that. I won't be out there waving a flag but I will watch bits of the procession - I won't experience another one. I missed the tailor programme, planning to watch it tonight.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ouryve

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2023, 18:38:02 PM »
I'm very much of the same mind. I'll be watching it when I can get into one of the front rooms, during the day.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Surest1tch

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2023, 19:40:56 PM »
I missed it, perhaps it'll be on catchup.
I did some of the tailoring on the braid on some of the officers uniforms for the queens jubilee, a pig of a job though! It was a lifetime away though.

Sheilago

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2023, 19:51:10 PM »
I found this programme unexpectedly fascinating. The Tv was on while I was knitting, so I came upon it by accident really.
Like others I’m not keen on unnecessary expense, but the craftsmanship was amazing to watch. I was surprised that there are so few people who know how to do many of the tasks. Only 2 people know how to make those helmets and only one man knows how to make the perfect back vent. Surely that’s not sensible. A lot of skill and knowledge seems to rest with one company too. Nevertheless it’s good to know that some things can still be made from scratch in the UK.