The Sewing Place

Coronation Tailors

Lachica

Re: Coronation Tailors
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2023, 21:33:01 PM »
That programme was great, really interesting to watch. What expense though 😱 all that gold - presumably those uniforms are locked away between outings.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Puzzler

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2023, 21:55:25 PM »
I was surprised that there are so few people who know how to do many of the tasks. Only 2 people know how to make those helmets and only one man knows how to make the perfect back vent. Surely that’s not sensible. A lot of skill and knowledge seems to rest with one company too. Nevertheless it’s good to know that some things can still be made from scratch in the UK.

My sentiments exactly. Why are these skills not shared? I read or watched something about the economy shrinking because we are a nation of services, e.g. banking, hospitality, and do not produce enough actual goods, relying instead on cheap exports.

I am not planning to watch the Coronation. Although, I said I wouldn’t watch the Queen’s funeral but sat glued to the television for the entire event so I may eat my words again.  ;)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2023, 22:02:23 PM »
. I was surprised that there are so few people who know how to do many of the tasks. Only 2 people know how to make those helmets and only one man knows how to make the perfect back vent. Surely that’s not sensible.

@Sheilago There was a programme a few years ago about Chanel and the old lady that made the braid for the garments.  She was the only person in the world that made their braid.  She lived on a farm and made it all in a barn in a very old fashioned way.  When Karl Lagerfeld took her the fabric and asked her when she could do it she said she’d get round to it when she had time.  She still had animals to feed etc.   :laughing:  I just loved that!  Sadly she has died so I don’t know what they do now.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2023, 12:52:53 PM »
About keeping cards close to one's chest, I suspect the fear is that if the boss trained someone else fully in how to do the trade secret stuff, the trainee could be liable to poaching by a competitor.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2023, 12:55:34 PM »
I know the lady that made the Chanel braid said the young people weren’t interested in learning.  That’s why so many of these crafts are dying out.