The Sewing Place

Un Finished Object Contest: May and June 2023

Ouryve

Re: Un Finished Object Contest: May and June 2023
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2023, 19:32:14 PM »
I have the coat, two single socks, the jeans that are probably unreachable which will probably remain a learning experience forever, a sweater...
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Vezelay

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2023, 10:27:06 AM »
As it happens I have an unfinished object from the last comp. It's my second Songbird jacket in an unbelievably stretchy viscose-y fabric bought in York (where my bro lives) around 2016.

This is how it looked on 1 May (on the starter's blocks)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

and on 5th May just in time....away! Shoulders joined, one sleeve pinned...
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

And without looking further I have two u/f knitting projects  :).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 10:30:41 AM by Vezelay »

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2023, 10:30:02 AM »
Wandering around my sewing room last night showed me a bag that I cut out a few weeks months ago, and no doubt there are other things lurking just beneath the surface... I could be spoilt for choice.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2023, 11:29:20 AM »
I'm always amazed when people say that they have " found a ufo"or say "I'm sure I started a project and put it away"
Things prey on my mind and I really can't start something new while the sword of Damocles is hovering.  :laughing:
That's why I was at a full stop until I took my quilt top to Stitches to be longarmed. I couldn't start my placemats until it had gone.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2023, 12:05:10 PM »
@Lowena I'm really pleased for you.  :)

Clearly this contest is not for everyone, but enough of us could do with the encouragement that I think its worth it!

I have things stashed away for upcycling, alterations, things half done which went wrong and etc
I did cull a load of the things I wouldn't want to use, but there's still stuff left in boxes in the garage.

These days I work harder at finishing things, and tweaking the fit, or finishing something enough to donate it (complete with size label)

Helen M

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2023, 12:06:16 PM »
Sometimes items don't work out quite as they should especially when making clothing at some stage and it is often a good idea to put them to oneside for a bit of a rethink unless you no longer like the pattern or fabric @Lowena. I think it's totally  different from crafting or quilting though, sometimes clothing items are made (sometimes out of desperation!) for a specific event which may get cancelled and you didn't really want to make the item in the first place! Months or years on you may just fancy wearing or making the item even if it's just for a practice for a new method etc.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2023, 12:06:47 PM »
Generally speaking, if I start something I finish it before I move on to something else (although I usually have knitting, clothes sewing and quilting projects running in parallel), but if I start having doubts about something I may put it away to reconsider later.

The alternative is carrying on knowing I don't like the way it's going (and probably ending up with something that' of no use at all), never starting a new project (  :scream: ) or throwing something away that is eminently rescuable, but needs the benefit of distance.

Ouryve

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2023, 12:44:09 PM »
13 months since I shoved this in a bag. Has it haunted me? Absolutely. I just need to hope that nothing has found it tasty, as it wasn't that well sealed. It's had a few cycles in the freezer, just in case.

I put it away at the point of debating whether it would need shoulder pads. I've lost a lot of bulk from my shoulders and bust since I cut it out so it's going to need the upper sleeves and shoulders taking in, which makes me glad that I didn't finish adding the lining.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2023, 12:49:06 PM »
It looks beautiful @Ouryve .

Tamnymore

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2023, 12:53:43 PM »
Lovely jacket @Ouryve and I'm always in awe of people who can do pockets like that!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »
I think I might join in with this one ... Is 17 months too short or long for a UFO ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ouryve

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2023, 12:57:06 PM »
A lot of swearing and hand stitching went into those pockets!

Ouryve

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2023, 12:58:45 PM »
My sweater and socks are over 10 years, @Iminei  ;)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2023, 13:27:15 PM »
No time limit at all. Can be from years ago, or just left over from the Viva Magenta contest!

Tamnymore

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2023, 13:44:02 PM »
I have an unfinished piece of patchwork from 1976.......  :laughing:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde