The Sewing Place

Dots and Spots Contest July and August 2023

smurf44

Re: Dots and Spots Contest July and August 2023
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2023, 11:54:42 AM »
Smurf44 entry 1
I did this from some leftover blind fabric I'd got as a remnant at a local fabric store.
Its the Noella Blouse by Julia Martejev that i bought via The Fold Line.
Its my first shirt I've made and I really enjoyed it. Its not perfect but neither am i :)
Excuse my big face peering into the camera 

Ouryve

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2023, 12:02:40 PM »
Lots of fiddly stuff in a shirt, @smurf44 so well done for giving it a go.  :thumb:

And welcome, by the way!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2023, 12:17:49 PM »
@smurf44 welcome to TSP.
I like that you’ve used some leftover fabric.  Looks like you've had a good go at it.  Collars can be tricky, so well done you! 

twopence

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2023, 13:48:24 PM »
I'm using some spotted fabric in my EPP patchwork of the crosses quilt but there's no way that it will be finished in time.  Perhaps not even next year.

Flobear

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2023, 16:00:35 PM »
Lovely job @smurf44 

Welcome to TSP

How fab that you have joined in Dots and Spots already!  Putting the rest of us to shame who are still deciding what to do  :rolleyes:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

smurf44

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2023, 17:54:12 PM »
@Flobear  it was just lucky timing  :D I'm never this organised.   Thanks for the lovely welcome everyone.  I'm loving this place already.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2023, 12:51:18 PM »
Hello @smurf44 loving your entry!
Welcome it's so lovely to see you and your fantastic make!

Starryfish

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2023, 17:02:20 PM »
Very nice, @smurf44 .
I've found some dotty jersey, so will make another Camimade Nuage top. I also might make some new pjs in some nice peachy pink cotton with subtle spots.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Greybird

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2023, 23:06:38 PM »
Great shirt - love the buttons!

smurf44

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2023, 09:19:59 AM »
@Starryfish  sounds lovely, i love a PJ. I have a pattern to attempt soon

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2023, 09:25:27 AM »
I have started my sarong !

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Actually its all together ... Just need to hem and finish the waistband.

I hate hemming especially around curved edges (of which this has two) and always worry that the length will vary ..
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2023, 08:20:00 AM »
Very happy with the waistband it went on perfectly! Well I sewed it on, sewed the ends closed, cut the excess off and turned it through ... It made sense to me.

What Im not happy with are the closures. I thought bar closures would hold the thing together .. they didnt!
Maybe I sewed them on incorrectly and it took me hours !! stupid lil fiddly wriggly things !!!  :angry:

So then the buttonhole foot came out! Trial buttonhole sewed perfectly  :D but when I came to sew the real thing it wouldnt feed correctly! I stopped the process and unpicked  :angry: Stupid lil teeny tiny stitches.

Another sample followed .. Perfect!

So I tried again and still it wouldnt feed through ... AND THEN ... the Splurgess kept flashing up .. lower the buttonhole thingmy ... It was lowered!!!!  :headbang:

I gave up and spent the next hour or so unpicking stupid weeny teeny tiny stitches.  :rant:

The waistband no longer looks so beautiful ... but IF I can get the Splurgess to sew properly today it will be ok and IF things go Pete Tong AGAIN! I have enough fabric to make another waistband!

So thats todays task ... Wish me luck! :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 13:45:22 PM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2023, 11:13:31 AM »
And Just Like That ... Its done!

The Splurgess sewed perfectly so its either she was having an off day or the most probable scenario, user error  :rolleyes:
Coming back fresh to a situation is always better than banging on when the 'stars are not aligned' so to speak.

So its done and may well be worn this aft to Fashion museum.

Im happy but not overjoyed with the BH's position, (a lil too low) or waistband as it was 'handled' too much in the last day and may well replace it as it was very simple to put on ... or I might not!

But it is finished and wearable! I'll try and get proper pics of the whole thing if I find David Bailey wandering round the museum this afternoon.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2023, 14:46:00 PM »
Looks good @Iminei.  Sample buttonholes are fine but we don’t always create the exact conditions we’re going to be using in the real thing.  The same thread fabric, interfacing, the same grainline is easy. But sometimes there’s a seam in the way and that makes a difference as well.  I’ve had to recreate the seam problem before and then changed how I did the buttonhole entirely.

Ouryve

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2023, 18:14:31 PM »
Yve's entry #1: Tessuti Alice top in Kokka cotton fabric with spots and circles created by a Japanese salt shrinking process.

The spots are rather sheer so I chose to line the bodice and underline the outer yoke and armhole pieces with some navy Merchant and Mills voile.

The pattern has all edges finished with the overlocker but I wanted to fully enclose all raw edges so I've used French seams on the bodice and SITD all the yoke and sleeve facing edges down. I also reduced the volume of the back bodice. The pattern does this anyway for the dress but not for the top.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 18:12:13 PM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"