The Sewing Place

Dots and Spots Contest July and August 2023

Diane

Re: Dots and Spots Contest July and August 2023
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2023, 18:28:30 PM »
@Ouryve That is super nice, i really like the style of the sleeves  :perfect10:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ouryve

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2023, 18:33:03 PM »
I was worried they might be a bit Star Trek, @Diane but they're quite flattering on me. (the gathered bodice makes me look pregnant but when it's warm enough to wear it, I'd not be caring about that!)
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Diane

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2023, 18:40:55 PM »
@Ouryve I love the sleeves, it's something different from the norm and i'm sure you'll look lovely wearing that. As long as you like it and feel comfortable in it, that's all that matters.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2023, 19:54:21 PM »
@Iminei Wonderful project

@Ouryve beautifully finished

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2023, 21:08:09 PM »
It still looks like Ive wrapped a sheet around me .... sigh ... but I guess thats the menopause!

I'll post an amended thread with pics for the comp in the near future.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ouryve

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2023, 23:10:25 PM »
I think most of us here have been through the menopause, @Iminei it's the shape we are x
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

smurf44

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2023, 16:48:45 PM »
Very happy with the waistband it went on perfectly! Well I sewed it on, sewed the ends closed, cut the excess off and turned it through ... It made sense to me.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

What Im not happy with are the closures. I thought bar closures would hold the thing together .. they didnt!
Maybe I sewed them on incorrectly and it took me hours !! stupid lil fiddly wriggly things !!!  :angry:

So then the buttonhole foot came out! Trial buttonhole sewed perfectly  :D but when I came to sew the real thing it wouldnt feed correctly! I stopped the process and unpicked  :angry: Stupid lil teeny tiny stitches.

Another sample followed .. Perfect!

So I tried again and still it wouldnt feed through ... AND THEN ... the Splurgess kept flashing up .. lower the buttonhole thingmy ... It was lowered!!!!  :headbang:

I gave up and spent the next hour or so unpicking stupid weeny teeny tiny stitches.  :rant:

The waistband no longer looks so beautiful ... but IF I can get the Splurgess to sew properly today it will be ok and IF things go Pete Tong AGAIN! I have enough fabric to make another waistband!

So thats todays task ... Wish me luck! :rolleyes:

This is gorgeous!  :loveit: button holes are the same with me.. fine on test, rubbish in live!

smurf44

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2023, 16:49:47 PM »
And Just Like That ... Its done!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The Splurgess sewed perfectly so its either she was having an off day or the most probable scenario, user error  :rolleyes:
Coming back fresh to a situation is always better than banging on when the 'stars are not aligned' so to speak.

So its done and may well be worn this aft to Fashion museum.

Im happy but not overjoyed with the BH's position, (a lil too low) or waistband as it was 'handled' too much in the last day and may well replace it as it was very simple to put on ... or I might not!

But it is finished and wearable! I'll try and get proper pics of the whole thing if I find David Bailey wandering round the museum this afternoon.

love this!!!

smurf44

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2023, 16:51:34 PM »
Yve's Tessuti Alice top in Kokka cotton fabric with spots and circles created by a Japanese salt shrinking process.

The spots are rather sheer so I chose to line the bodice and underline the outer yoke and armhole pieces with some navy Merchant and Mills voile.

The pattern has all edges finished with the overlocker but I wanted to fully enclose all raw edges so I've used French seams on the bodice and SITD all the yoke and sleeve facing edges down. I also reduced the volume of the back bodice. The pattern does this anyway for the dress but not for the top.

this is gorgeous!

How were the french seams on the bodice? I debated using them on a dress. My overlocking on my sewing machine isnt the best and i dont have an overlocker yet so thought french seams might be the way to go....

smurf44

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2023, 16:55:13 PM »
@Ouryve  and @Iminei  I sympathise greatly  <3 Im currently a small post menopausal ball at the mo and having to rethink my whole wardrobe. Ive never been a tight clothees kinda of girl but was lighter the last 15 years due to health issues and not being able to eat much... now my body has inflated and nothing fits.  However, i do get to make clothes and swear at my sewing machine a lot..   :P 

Ouryve

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2023, 17:11:38 PM »
Menopause does funny things, @smurf44 - just as I was getting the hang of fba's, the boob fairy came and snatched them away, again. I now have a wardrobe full of lovely clothes that swamp me!

French seams are easy peasy on straight seams. You're just sewing them twice! They don't work so well on bulky fabrics but a regular zigzag behaves itself, anyhow, in that situation.

Puzzler

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2023, 18:36:58 PM »
Menopause does funny things, @smurf44 - just as I was getting the hang of fba's, the boob fairy came and snatched them away, again.

If you happen to run into her, send her my way.

I like how you are all thinking outside the box and not just using standard stripes and polka dots.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:39:41 AM by Puzzler »

smurf44

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2023, 15:18:30 PM »
Menopause does funny things, @smurf44 - just as I was getting the hang of fba's, the boob fairy came and snatched them away, again. I now have a wardrobe full of lovely clothes that swamp me!

French seams are easy peasy on straight seams. You're just sewing them twice! They don't work so well on bulky fabrics but a regular zigzag behaves itself, anyhow, in that situation.

i think i might try them on the next make.  im just looking for an excuse for an overlocker at the mo  :loveit:

Ouryve

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2023, 16:07:36 PM »
If you do choose one {I recommend it) the basic brother machines are very competent and supposed to be easy to service.

smurf44

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2023, 17:22:24 PM »
@Ouryve  thanks for that. I had a brother sewing machine for years and i loved it.