The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2023

Ohsewsimple

Re: Christmas Craft 2023
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2023, 12:22:45 PM »
.  I have made loads of fabric bags in previous years which I insist on having back and re-using, so no need for more of those.

Good idea @Nevis5.  Actually my DIL always gives me back the Christmas ribbon so I can use it the next year on their pressies.  :laughing:

Bjay

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2023, 17:49:09 PM »
Last  Christmas I quickly made 2 friends some place mats. Cost me nothing and I wasn't sure they'd appreciate them. Both loved them.
Plenty of time to get inspiration this year. ::thinks::
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

datcat23

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2023, 22:45:17 PM »
Suggestion time:

Last year, as a last minute gift, I made my MIL a set of packing cubes.  I embroidered the tops with a heart/butterfly design, and then used Aussie themed fabrics for the sides and base.  As far as I am aware, she loves them.  I won't recommend a particular pattern or tutorial, because I just googled "packing cube sewing" and used the tute that came up.  It wasn't the best, so I would recommend having a look around.

Packing cubes by Dani, on Flickr

The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2023, 15:14:09 PM »
Christmas planning in July?  Man, I don't even start to think about Xmas until mid-November!

As it is, I can't plan sewing with targets for specific completion dates because I am still suffering from the back problem that is severely limiting what I can do.  I've had an x-ray, which came back 'abnormal' and with evidence of disc compression and am awaiting an appt for a bone density scan.  The doc has me on chalk tablets meanwhile although I'm not sure what good they'll do - I consume a fair amount of dairy and live in a hard water area.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2023, 15:27:10 PM »
I can't be doing with anything Christmas-themed - no Christmas fabrics, no advent calendars, decorations etc - in the summer.  Things destined to be presents, however, are fine.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2023, 15:56:11 PM »
Table mats are a nice idea. I could see those going down well.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2023, 15:56:55 PM »
Also nearer the time I shall be making a lovely Christmas dress for my young friend C.

Gernella

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2023, 16:52:27 PM »
I've already made C**mas presents this year just kept quiet about it as you'd all likely think I was crazy.  :scream:  My justification is that I had some down time between real sewing projects - bags,  clothes etc and needed something to sew that I could do from stashed goods. Even worse is that they're all packed up ready to gift.  :laughing:

:faints:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2023, 05:10:31 AM »
@datcat23 will probably appreciate this but I'm not too sure about some of the rest of you... ><  :laughing:   My best year for a stress free holiday season was the year with the best planning. Years ago I used to make gigantic cookie platters, pretty cookies, about 12-16 varieties. It was fun and by July the lucky recipients would be asking if I was going to do it again and telling me what they especially liked. Consequently I still have my master list of cookies, candies etc to pick and choose from. I don't have many people to do stuff for these days, no parties to give or attend so things are really scaled back.

The best year I decided to celebrate throughout the year. I'd do Christmas related things on the 24th and 25th, sometimes also the 23rd every month. I'd bake a cookie, maybe make a little fudge, fix a dish to try out something new. I'd also play Christmas music, put a holiday themed runner or placemats out and maybe a little decoration here or there. Sometimes I'd work on gifts or just look at ideas to jot down for later. And I'd have a little gift for OH. It was fun and relaxing.

Since I'm a big Hallowe'en fan I also celebrated a bit on the 31st every month that had one. Any excuse to get out the vintage Hallowe'en decor.  :thumb:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sheilago

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2023, 09:35:16 AM »
Nearer the time I will be making some things- maybe some extra fabric gift bags,  as I don’t always get those back. Some friends do appreciate little home made things , so it’s a pleasure to make for them. Otherwise I’m planning to knit myself a jumper, as most of my grandchildren are getting too big to need lots of knitting now and I do like a project to do in front of the TV in the dark evenings. 

However first I’d just like a summer holiday  :laugh:

Catllar

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2023, 21:48:19 PM »
I can never think of anything anyone would want made for Xmas.  I doubt I’ll do anything this year either.

Me neither. If it can't be ordered on A....n then it doesn't get ordered. Our family being very small only ever gets stuff they can eat or drink or otherwise dispose of so no need to panic yet awhile.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2023, 21:49:54 PM »
@datcat23 will probably appreciate this but I'm not too sure about some of the rest of you... ><  :laughing:   My best year for a stress free holiday season was the year with the best planning. Years ago I used to make gigantic cookie platters, pretty cookies, about 12-16 varieties. It was fun and by July the lucky recipients would be asking if I was going to do it again and telling me what they especially liked. Consequently I still have my master list of cookies, candies etc to pick and choose from. I don't have many people to do stuff for these days, no parties to give or attend so things are really scaled back.

The best year I decided to celebrate throughout the year. I'd do Christmas related things on the 24th and 25th, sometimes also the 23rd every month. I'd bake a cookie, maybe make a little fudge, fix a dish to try out something new. I'd also play Christmas music, put a holiday themed runner or placemats out and maybe a little decoration here or there. Sometimes I'd work on gifts or just look at ideas to jot down for later. And I'd have a little gift for OH. It was fun and relaxing.

Since I'm a big Hallowe'en fan I also celebrated a bit on the 31st every month that had one. Any excuse to get out the vintage Hallowe'en decor.  :thumb:

Whatever floats your boat. Personally I hate Christmas. My best one was in Kenya when we didn't see anything about it!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Bjay

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2023, 11:43:57 AM »
Looking through my notebook I found all the measurements for the Christmas Tree stand. 
The tree was new last year. I just need to find fat quarters, bright and cheerful and Christmassy to make it,
I will enjoy the shopping :D
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Ann

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2023, 12:57:29 PM »
I am in. I have mad some gift bags and need to make more. Here are the ones I made.

I have more to make with one having Bah Humbug on it and a large bottle of hot sauce in it. It will be a wine bottle in size. The other one will be more square and I will put a bottle of wine in it. A joke for DS. The other ones will be larger in size also.

I have to make paw shaped Christmas stockings for DD's pets. Hopefully I can make them next month. Not sure after that but I need to get busy as I start sending Christmas gifts across Canada in October. I'm hoping to do three projects using the Cricut for DD and DSIL which they have approved but don't know if I will make them or not. I have everything for them.

I do some baking for Christmas. Ginger cookies and butter tarts. Maybe sausage rolls for Christmas Day lunch as DS likes those. I can't have any sweets due to trying to keep pre-diabetes at bay. I have items to buy for family here as they don't use what I make them. They love them too much to use. DD and DSIL are the ones who uses everything I make for her so I tend to do more for them.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2023, 11:56:46 AM »
I seemed to have stalled this year on making a lot of Christmas items. Part was the pain I've been having with my right hip and knee. It has been going on for about 2 years and it wasn't improving. I spent a lot of time and energy this fall getting a care team together to work on it once again. I see the doctor today and will get an X-ray requisition on the sore areas.

With all the work done for my care, I decided to start sewing Christmas gifts. The list was pretty small as I have done a lot of gift sewing over the years. I made DD's cat and 2 dogs paw stockings which turned out to be cuter than I had expected.

I made an apron for DD also and it was an easy pattern that turned out cute. I have had the fabric in the stash since 2009.

I am using up the scraps to make potholders.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres