The Sewing Place

Recommended books on pattern drafting?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Recommended books on pattern drafting?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2023, 17:35:18 PM »
@Ohsewsimple.  Using standardised blocks are fine for RTW but the beauty of pattern cutting is that you make a block specific to your own measurements, from which you then create the patterns for the clothes you want to wear.  For example in the C&G Pattern cutting course I did, all the scale blocks and subsequent patterns for my file were done in size 12.  However, for the physical garments, they had to be made to our own personal measurements. There are only 4 blocks (bodice, sleeve, skirt and trouser).  If these are done correctly there is no need for major reworking or refitting as they should be correct to your size (unless you have drastically changed shape!).  The work is just creating a pattern which is really very quick.

@Missie I’m not sure I've explained myself properly which wouldn’t surprise me  :)
I did C&G fashion which also does the pattern cutting along with other elements. 

I was pointing out that some books like WA give you completely new blocks to draft from scratch for a coat, jacket etc.  then you have to fit that all over again.  I agree that it is pointless after doing all the original work to get the fit right. 
But there would still be adjustments made to size up for different garments such as coats, blouses and jackets.  You wouldn’t design from the original block because it wouldn’t work. Of course that could be part of the design and creating the pattern but I think it’s easier to size up first and work from there.  Although nowadays I work from previous patterns rather than going back to blocks.