The Sewing Place

Quality interfacings for dressmaking

Morgan

Re: Quality interfacings for dressmaking
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2023, 17:24:38 PM »
Also found this company that I’ve never heard of
https://www.misanstore.co.uk/all-products/interfacing
Thanks Ohsewsimple   I'll take a look at these sites and get some samples if what they offer. 

About the Misan shops in London - There's the one on Berwick Street and another on a corner on Goldhawk Rd Shepherds Bush.  Nice shops to go in and they do have some lovely and interesting fabrics but there's usually a very hefty price tag too.
Now I'll pay for expensive fabric if it's interesting or special enough,  but I did feel Misan's prices were shall we say top heavy even for the less  special stuff.  If course that's only my opinion.
I noticed on the Web Page that they see the shop at Goldhawk Rd as an outlet shop for fabrics at accessible prices.  😄

Morgan

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2023, 17:36:49 PM »
Oh no,I buy from there too @Morgan:scream:  Better stock up.  When is she retiring?
Around end of August is my understanding
The FB page mentions that there are some vacancies on her last 3 courses .

Morgan

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2023, 17:38:48 PM »
It would be wonderful if another business could take over her online shop   

How about you ??? @Morgan
🤣🤣🤣

Surest1tch

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2023, 19:47:18 PM »
Wow, the price has rocketed since I last bought some, which was from Taylor Mouse, it was about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe more but it makes me so glad I ordered rather a lot.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2023, 23:05:02 PM »
@Morgan Misan fabrics have some nice fabric.    I did find a very lightweight fusible interfacing at £5 a metre too.  At 150 cm wide I think that’s pretty good.  Unfortunately only in black.

Must order some tomorrow from ECC!

Puzzler

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2023, 07:19:08 AM »
Thanks Puzzler.   The ECC interfacings are the ones  I've used for years so I'm well and truly spoiled.   I agree the fine cotton fusible is great. 
Anyway, it's equivalent replacements for the ECC ones I'm trying to find

I wasn’t too clear about what I was trying to say. I wanted to know which other interfacings apart from the one I mentioned do people find useful so I can try and get some from ECC before they close down and then source from somewhere else thereafter.

Ploshkin

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2023, 14:05:13 PM »
I have some fusible cotton on order fro Rebecca Woollard ( link in @Ohsewsimple 's post).
It was shipped straight away so full marks there.  I will report back when it arrives.
Life's too short for ironing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2023, 14:24:48 PM »
MacCulloch & Wallis have proper tailoring interlinings.

Empress Mills have Vislene woven interfacings and a hair interlining.  Some are fusible and some are not.  You definitely don't want fusible for tailoring work, of course.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2023, 17:18:59 PM »
Interested to see what it’s like @Ploshkin but that sounds like good speedy service.  :thumb:

@Puzzler my favourite ECC interfacing is this
https://englishcouture.co.uk/shop/fine-sheer-fusible-ecc21-fusible-interfacing/
I use it on cottons, viscose, silks.   I cut strips to stabilise shoulders on jersey tops.  However, I will,admit to being really lazy over the last few months and just sewn the seam on the sewing machine then overlocked and had no problem.  Reason being I got a better match front and back. 
I also use this anywhere I’m going to insert a zip as it prevents stretch.  This interfacing doesn’t alter the handle of the fabrics which is why I like it.   It is stable one way and has stretch the other so I always check which way I’m using it.   :)  But the stretch can also be useful sometimes. 
I’ve also got this
https://englishcouture.co.uk/shop/silky-touch-couture-light-ecc71/ Which is very fine but not used this as much.