The Sewing Place

What are your Five Essential Handmade items?

Catllar

Re: What are your Five Essential Handmade items?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2023, 17:06:34 PM »
I can't even begin to think of essential anythings!  I chop and change all the time  :laughing:

Me too - easily distracted by...... ooh, look - shiny things........
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Helen M

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2023, 20:23:22 PM »
The only essential pattern I re-use is a for a basic crew neck T shirt. I use the Style Arc Alanah with the neckline of the Grainline Lark T shirt super imposed for back and front.

For a long sleeved one I use Style Arc Alexi either with the roll neck or with a narrow neck band.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Kwaaked

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2023, 04:49:26 AM »
1. Essential Top

Any princess seamed button up top. I have both McCall's and Butterick I use. Probably OOP.

2. Essential Bottom

Straight skit. Doesn't matter. Basic pattern.

3. Essential One-Piece (ie dress or jumpsuit)
Sheath. I made my own pattern. Any will work.

4. Essential Layer (cardigan or jacket)

Style arc Stacy Jean jacket. Conversely, a Shanel. Pick one of the French style, they'll need to be tweaked anyway.

5. Essential Wild Card (something else of your choice)
Depends on the day.  A cape from an 80s McCall's, harem pants, 40s slips.

Boppingbeth

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2023, 18:57:32 PM »
I just came across this tag, and thought I would throw in comments.  I guess better late than never, particularly since I’ve been losing weight and need to get back to basics with my clothes.

1.  Essential top:
For knits, I like the Apostrophe T-Shirt pattern best, since I can do anything from an under-layer to an over-sweater with it because it automagically adjusts for both looseness and fabric stretch, but I’ve also gotten great results from the basic T-shirt patterns by Jalie, and by Ottobre.
Woven: button up shirt pattern that is more like a camp shirt than a fitted shirt. I use a self drafted fitted shirt pattern that has side bust darts and a two-piece collar.

2.  Essential bottoms:
If I could only pick one I would pick the Apostrophe Joggers pattern, which can make everything from a flat front straight leg pull on pant to knitted joggers with cuffs, and has so many options for pockets, leg widths, leg shapes and yokes.  I’ve used it for nearly every pants pattern I’ve made in the last year.  The pattern adjusts for fabric stretch (both width wise and length wise). 

Back Up patterns: a basic trouser pattern with a fly front zipper and slash pockets. I don’t have one that fits my current body shape post-menopause but it is on my sewing plan for 2024.
Leggings: again, Apostrophe Leggings pattern, with side panels and pockets.
Jeans: either the Mountain Jeans or StyleArc jeans patterns.

3. One-piece.
For this I would have to say my sleeveless A-line dress pattern with the dart into the armhole is my preferred pattern.  I’ve made it five times now, and have plans for three more.  I wear these all summer, and with a sweater fall and spring and get compliments every time.
I also have a self-drafted knit swing dress pattern that is fabulous, that needs pockets.

4. Layer
My layers are all hand knit sweaters, cardigans, and very rarely a casual jacket or jean jacket. I don’t have a pattern for a casual jacket with a notched collar and three buttons, but that is on my list to find or draft in 2024.

5.  Wild Card:
Self-drafted straight skirt, above the knee.  I’ve used it to make all kinds of skorts, dress skirts, and panelled skirts. 

Pearl

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2023, 10:56:46 AM »
Thank you for resurrecting this thread and sharing your experiences, @Boppingbeth .  I find this thread so interesting.  Maybe 2024 will be the year I find which patterns work for me.

Boppingbeth

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2023, 13:21:13 PM »
Thank you for resurrecting this thread and sharing your experiences, @Boppingbeth .  I find this thread so interesting.  Maybe 2024 will be the year I find which patterns work for me.

What styles are you starting with?

Pearl

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2024, 15:03:55 PM »
I’m really not sure, @Boppingbeth .  I want to make clothes that I will wear, but at 58 years of age, I still haven’t discovered my style  :rolleyes:

Boppingbeth

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2024, 16:46:47 PM »
I’m really not sure, @Boppingbeth .  I want to make clothes that I will wear, but at 58 years of age, I still haven’t discovered my style  :rolleyes:

What do you reach for every morning?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2024, 17:55:01 PM »
@Pearl I’m older than you and I always think I don’t have a style as I like all sorts.   :)