The Sewing Place

Guess what I have part II

Bill

Re: Guess what I have part II
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2023, 12:21:53 PM »
Nay @Bodgeitandscarper that hole is for a set screw that enters from the back for the thread tension assembly.
I've concluded that the spare screw is infact from something else. It's too new. No wear marks on it. It's black.
There is a spare washer though......... ><

Anyhoo, as Dr Frankenstein is rumoured to have shouted,
IT LIVES!
With the exception of the thread catch spring being mangled a bit and causing issues she's stitching beautifully.
There's a slight hollow sounding hum when doing so but I think that's a result of
1: the bearings being free of what I think was stale beer covering them for who knows how long and
2: scratches on the bearing surfaces from my Dremel wire brushes.
I'm hoping they'll quieten down once the oil works it's way into the nooks and crannies and hopefully the micro scratches will be polished out as time goes by.

A closer inspection of her guts leads me to believe they'll be fine and dandy if I leave as is. Minor dust particles and some blackening of the oil, perfectly normal. I'll not mess with the original Singer mechanics work. Clearly they knew what they were doing.

The thread catch spring is however royally p*****g me off. Mangled somewhat by a previous owner and then some more by me it's failing to keep the thread taught as the needle rises during stitching.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The dimples on this plate are to allow the spring to move freely when the whole thingymajig is tightened up but because of mini bends in the spring that ain't happening. Sooooooooo, it's either hammer the hell out of the spring to flatten it (the neighbours will love that I'm sure  :laughing: ) orrrrrrrrr buy a new spring. I'll see what happens after annoying the neighbours first.
But yep, it's all looking good so far  :thumb:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 12:24:38 PM by Bill »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2023, 12:46:21 PM »
@Bill I presume you've heard of Helen Howes?  Are these the type of springythingy you'll need? Linky

realale

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2023, 13:07:46 PM »
]
It's funny you mention that because as it happens, I didn't!
I do have a Guinness and I'm wearing my fluffy reindeer Christmas socks. Does that count?. :D
Why??
I read that and thought it was a query as to the wearing of socks.....  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Bill

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2023, 13:10:01 PM »
I have indeed and yes they are @Bodgeitandscarper
It looks like I'll be going that route...this spring is refusing to cooperate.  :(  I was hoping to not have to spend more money. 10 quid for a spring. Christ almighty.

Scratch that.......I've fixeded it!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 13:30:06 PM by Bill »

Celia

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2023, 15:22:32 PM »
Well done that looks like a cracking good job :perfect10:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2023, 15:27:20 PM »
Excellent work!

Bill

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2023, 22:05:50 PM »
Evening all.
Can anyone tell me what's causing this please?
I've gutermann denim thread on top and gutermann sew all on the bobbin. Thread tension is as far as I can tell dead on purfek. I have grabbed both top and bottom threads as I'm starting the stitches and have back stitched 3 or 4 at the start and end of the seams.
It did this a few times before I stripped it and rebuilt and it's just done it again. It isn't a constant. Just once in a while. I'm at a loss how to stop it.

Also, I'm not sure about the previous incidences but definitely this time, upon clearing it out I've discovered that 2 of the 3 threads poking out are in fact one piece of top thread doubled over. No idea how that's happened...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 22:11:29 PM by Bill »

Celia

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2024, 09:30:18 AM »
That used to happen quite often on older machines when the needle doesn’t automatically stop out of the fabric.

I think  it’s something to do with the needle position when you stop, it can usually be avoided if you make sure the machine finishes a stitch and returns completely to the upper position before you take the fabric out.

KayK

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2024, 11:54:31 AM »
I think you are right @Celia!  I think you do need to make sure the take up lever is at its highest position every time you stop/start - a bit of a pain but it usually solves all problems! (even with newer machines!)
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2024, 12:12:08 PM »
I get that occasionally even on my new(ish) expensive Pfaff, which has automatic needle lift etc.  But on old machines as the others have said, it used to be an automatic habit to turn the hand wheel until the take up lever was right at the top before you took your fabric out.

Edit:  @Bill Has the thread come out of your needle or is it threaded right to left?  Surely it should be left to right?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 12:13:42 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

coffeeandcake

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2024, 17:24:48 PM »
Threading from right to left is correct for this machine. The take up lever needs to be at its topmost position before you raise the presser foot.

Bill

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2024, 15:44:58 PM »
Thanks for the help @Celia and the rest of you x
Haven't had any more dangly bits hanging out of the bobbin since. I did get some snapped threads though which I think were down to the thread twisting. Turning the spool the other way so the thread comes off in a different direction seems to have solved that.
The motor is making a horrible noise when it's running. Sigh.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 18:56:21 PM by Bill »

Bill

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2024, 19:44:17 PM »
I've swapped out the motor for the one @Elnnina gave me. She's running beautifully silent and smooth again. Yaaaaaay!  :dance:

Gotta figure out what I did wrong with the original motor now..... ><

Elnnina

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2024, 21:00:23 PM »
Good to hear Bill, I must admit I had thought about suggesting swapping the motors over but that is as far as I got.  Well done on cleaning out the part of the 201 that you have posted about and what a transformation.  Now your machine is ready for you to sew away to your heart's content - enjoy!!