The Sewing Place

Thinking about QAYG for large quilts

Sheilago

Re: Thinking about QAYG for large quilts
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2023, 17:11:48 PM »
Thank you @Ann , although I think you intended to include a link. What a lovely quilt for a cat to use!

Ann

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2023, 18:28:20 PM »
Here is the link for the video. Sorry I forgot to do it.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Sheilago

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2024, 21:01:15 PM »
Today I started making the 9 inch blocks that will make up the QAYG memory quilt made from my grandson’s clothes. I’ve decided I’ll just do sashing as that’s probably easiest and I also hope that it’ll look good .As my DIL asked for it to be double sided, I’ve sorted all the clothes into those with ‘feature’ images and those with all over patterns. I’ve made the blocks with one side ‘ feature’ and one side all over pattern and I’ll just alternate them to make a reversible quilt.
The finished size is yet to be agreed. To make a king size  I’d need about 121 of these blocks and DIL would like one made from my granddaughters clothes too  :faints:. They may end just being large throw size.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sheilago

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2024, 19:28:27 PM »
I’ve now done all 48 x 9.5” blocks and have laid them out to arrange them.

I’ve looked at various explanations of how to join them using strips of quilting fabric, but most say to use 2” strips folded for the front and 1” strips for the back.

My question is -

As my quilt is double sided, should I use 2” strips front and back or will this be too thick? The blocks are already fairly thick.

Could I just do 1” unfolded strips front and back

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2024, 11:26:26 AM »
@Sheilago

The 2" strip, for the back, is so when you sew the second seam down you have no raw edges ... Thats not explaining it very well ... please find better instructions/explanations

HERE

and

HERE

Obviously scroll through to the latter parts of the tutorial where the QAYG is.

Any other Questions please do ask.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2024, 14:45:36 PM »
Yes, thanks @Iminei , I thought I could just iron the edge in and top stitch it, but I’ll just do it as everyone suggests. I had looked at your great tutorial already. It’s just that my quilt will be reversible and I was thinking I should do both sides the same.
They will, of course look the same, but one side will have double thickness sashing.

Flobear

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2024, 15:51:23 PM »
@Sheilago If you have single thickness on one side and double the other side I'm sure it won't look any different and it may reduce the bulk a little.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sheilago

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2024, 17:07:33 PM »
Thanks @Flobear. I’ve now sewn the first 6 blocks together: it is not a quick process! Some of the fabrics are so thick (velour and embroidered sections) that the machine is skipping and the thread is breaking, even with a walking foot. I’ve had to be creative with the positioning of the needle at times. I’m not looking forward to the long sections. However, what I’ve done looks ok, although the double joining strips look quite a bit broader than the single ones. I’m not sure why.

Flobear

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2024, 18:32:18 PM »
Not quite sure if I'm understanding correctly. Are the double joining strips already doubled over and still wider than expected?

Sheilago

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2024, 20:50:53 PM »
Yes ,but I’ve worked out why. The 2” strips are folded in half , so are then 1”, but they then lose 1/4” to the seam allowance before they are overstitched down. My single strips are 1”, but are sewn on both sides so end up as 1/2” wide, while the double ones end up 3/4” wide. I suppose if I wanted them to be the same width I could cut the single strips 1 1/4” wide , but the slight difference means that when I’m over stitching the double strip I’m not sewing through the strip on the back.

Hope this makes sense  :laugh: I’ve now done 3 strips of 6 and it’s going a bit faster  :D

Flobear

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2024, 21:10:41 PM »
Bingo! I was going to suggest that might be the case but you worked it out  :perfect10:

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2024, 22:11:38 PM »
You're very brave. I hate QAYG as it's so fiddly
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2024, 09:02:19 AM »
Quote from QAYG Tutorial ... Previously known as Eric the Half a Tut.

We are now going to be sewing over multiple layers of fabric and wadding and this is the time, if ever, that you might find your machine skipping stitches over the thickest areas.

I would therefore advise you to give your machine a quick clean around the bobbin area now and, if you haven't done so recently, to change your needle.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2024, 15:53:02 PM »
Thanks @Iminei , I am a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning out the machine and changing the needle. :embarrassed:
I’ll do that today- promise!

Sheilago

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2024, 09:47:27 AM »
At last, I have finished my big double sided t shirt quilt. I think it took at least 50 hours to make, so was one of the most time consuming quilts I’ve ever made. All made from my almost 7 year old grandson’s clothes.
His mum also wants one made from my granddaughter’s clothes, but I hope she waits a while. My granddaughter is only 2 and I wouldn’t want to start another one straight away!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]