The Sewing Place

Bernina 570 mistake help

Lachica

Re: Bernina 570 mistake help
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 13:16:51 PM »
If it's because you have 2 sewing machines so you feel that's one too many, why not sell your Janome and keep the Bernina as your only sewing machine?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Celia

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 13:39:08 PM »
 :scream:    @Lachica

NO NO couldn’t part with the HD9 it is an amazing machine, some people class them as semi industrial but I know that is a term a lot of people object too so I won’t say that.  It sews through absolutely anything, whether it be fine chiffon of thick upholstery fabric, stretch or non stretch makes no difference with almost no adjustment.  I use it a lot to top stitch on stretch fabrics.

As you can tell I LOVE that machine

I actually have 3 machines as I also have a Husqvarna Topaz 40, I have been keeping that as it does embroidery but maybe ……..

Helen M

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2023, 14:40:49 PM »
I agree with what everyone says about spending on things that you enjoy @Celia . I wonder though is it that you don't really enjoy this machine? As you say you have another (for back up!) so maybe you should sell the Bernina and maybe even sell the Topaz and have another secondary machine altogether.

My thought is you'll feel better having let it go as it's excess baggage just now.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Sara-S

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2023, 15:42:39 PM »
@Celia  why do you want to sell the Bernina?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Celia

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2023, 16:49:46 PM »
@Celia  why do you want to sell the Bernina?

Basically because it’s too good to sit there unused and it makes me feel guilty ……….

Celia

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2023, 16:51:00 PM »
@Helen M   I think you might have hit the nail on the head  :loveit:

Helen M

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2023, 17:25:11 PM »
I've done the same thing @Celia, but I've kept it. I never use it but I wouldn't want to be without a spare. Maybe I'll re think it......
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2023, 18:42:19 PM »
Someone else who might really need and appreciate it could get the pleasure of ownership. It's not good for something to be sitting unused and taking up space. Recycling is good
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2023, 19:46:25 PM »
@Celia I know lots of people like Berninas.  I know you like your Topaz and Janome.  So I’m wondering if it’s as @Helen M said and it’s not the machine for you.  I’m not a lover of modern Berninas and I’ve tried loads in my job.  They just don’t do it for me. 

Celia

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2023, 08:49:30 AM »
Someone else who might really need and appreciate it could get the pleasure of ownership. It's not good for something to be sitting unused and taking up space. Recycling is good

I do agree with this and most often do get rid of things I don’t use BUT occasionally I have found that I have gone back to something years later that I have previously not used enough and really enjoyed it. Lately this has been the way with my needlepoint and I am so glad I didn’t get rid of all the frames I have.
However
With something electrical particularly computerised it is different so I think a decision is essential either I use it or sell it….

@Ohsewsimple i do tend to agree this is a beautiful machine and does work really well it has all the bells and whistles but for the sewing I do it is so much easier and quicker on the other machine.  The old Berninas were really amazing pieces of equipment and also relatively simple.

Puzzler

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2023, 10:09:49 AM »
All these electronic/computerised gadgets are so complicated. I need a bulb changing in one of my machines but wouldn’t attempt it lest I break something. Changing the bulb on my Singer Featherweight in comparison, no problemo. However, I do want some of the bells and whistles featured in modern machines. Your straight stitch machine sounds divine @Celia.

Celia

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2023, 12:52:36 PM »
@Puzzler yes it is, I was first introduced to its predecessor the 1600 by a person who sews for a living, she had an industrial but then moved and didn’t have access to it all the time. 

She got the 1600 and absolutely loves it.  She makes all sorts of cloths at very high prices …. Jackets start at about £500 some dresses are over £1000.00 but she also does some very high end alterations and find this machine the best for the variety of things she does.

I think I have made the decision to let the Bernina go I know I will never use it to anything like it’s capacity, money isn’t really the issue it’s more about the waste

Bill

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2023, 19:35:57 PM »
Shame I'm not rich. I'd have it. I think my bernette is the first machine I've owned long term that hasn't tried my every last nerve.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things