The Sewing Place

Where are you all buying your fabric?

Missie

Re: Where are you all buying your fabric?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2023, 10:08:49 AM »
I buy online now and I am in London (no shops locally).

I've just bought some lovely fabric from Lamazi but Dalston Fabrics are also great (I've been to their bricks and mortar shop), ebay is also good.

So Chic

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2023, 12:17:32 PM »
If I want dressmaking fabric there’s not a lot of choice locally but there are several good suppliers for the dark side.

I nearly always ask for samples as this avoids expensive mistakes.  I’ve bought recently from Pound Fabrics and have found that they sometimes undercut other suppliers.  I’ve also used Croft Mill, Calico Laine, Dragonfly Fabrics among others.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Tamnymore

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2023, 12:46:02 PM »
@So Chic I find that Pound Fabrics are always cheaper than other suppliers for the same fabric.. sometimes much cheaper. For instance I was admiring a modal jersey there yesterday for £5 pm and I found it on I think it was Fabric Godmother for something like £18 pm and I have other examples of cheaper prices on PF -  I always check PF first.

Luckily I'm still within hailing distance of good old Abakhan Manchester hence my £1 pm bargain there on Monday. There are some other bricks and mortar shops within range too. I buy a bit on eBay - had some good bargains there. I've recently found Simple Life Fabrics online and I think this is a really good online shop. Sarah the owner, is very fussy about knowing the provenance of her fabric and doesn't do deadstock. I find her prices to be at least as good as elsewhere and sometimes much cheaper. Just had some nice cotton with fishies on it at £5 pm from there and I couldn't find it at less than £10 pm elsewhere.

And finally there's Immanuels - you know the fabric church in Burnley. They sell a lot via FB and have a pretty slick online operation. There are some terrific bargains to be had there but you have to be quick cos if you see something you like on their FB page chances are someone else might have taken a liking to it too.
And very finally, if you are travelling up the M6 past Lancaster during the day at the weekend no roadtrip is complete without a visit to Standfast and Barracks Factory shop.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2023, 17:40:09 PM »
@Tamnymore i had a look at Pound Fabrics after you recommended them.  I’ve just received some jersey and a sweater knit which was much cheaper than  Lamazi had it.  They didn’t have the selection of colours that Lamazi had but luckily had what I wanted. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2023, 19:28:51 PM »
Glad to be of service as an enabler @Ohsewsimple !

Morgan

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2023, 17:44:52 PM »
I've just bought some lovely fabric from Lamazi but Dalston Fabrics are also great (I've been to their bricks and mortar shop), ebay is also good.
When I visit family in London I usually visit a couple of fabric shops   
I go to Ridley Road and Dalston fabrics only when I know which project I need the fabric for and I set a limit for my spending.  There is so much stacked floor to ceiling there that it's tempting to go bonkers buying on impulse.  That said, I usually come away with with a couple of impulse buys.
I like the back room with all the shelves and am sorely tempted by some of the wools at the back but I rein myself in especially I already have have fabric for three coats on my project to do list.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 17:49:47 PM by Morgan »

Lachica

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 16:13:10 PM »
I've just received a lovely linen/viscose print (John Louden) from Pound Fabrics. £8.75/m which I think is very reasonable. This will be a dress for me. Also 4m of white muslin at £2/m to make a couple of summer shirts for DH.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 16:24:47 PM »
Ooh - I was looking at those and wondering whether they would be suitable weight for a shirt.  What do you think?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 16:37:17 PM »
@Acorn  this print is 55% linen, I think it might be a bit heavy for a shirt. Have a look at the other linen mixes, I think there's another one which has less linen, that might be a better weight for you. Having said that, it's a loose-ish weave with a nice drape. Once washed it will probably be softer. Will let you know!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2024, 16:41:02 PM »
Thank you @Lachica - I made a linen shirt last year, which is very nice but far too warm, so I am a little wary.  I will look at the lighter ones.

Tamnymore

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 16:44:21 PM »
Snap - well almost snap @Lachica . I bought two lengths of linen-viscose prints from Pound fabrics  (rainforest and spring garden) and they are gorjus. I think they are fine for shirts @Acorn  - a reasonably sturdy shirt - not a lawn weight. The 55%linen/45% viscose are a slightly heavier weight but some of the prints are 20% linen/80% viscose and are a lighter weight if you prefer that as @Lachica suggests.

Also consider their cotton/viscose lawns - just scroll down the new fabrics page a bit. They have two abstract blobby prints and three flowery fabrics. These are super - they  are lightweight and with a slubby finish which makes them look like a fine linen. They are an absolute bargain at £3.50 pm IMHO! It's interesting - you never used to see cotton and viscose combined in a fabric but now it pops up all the time and seems to work well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 16:46:41 PM by Tamnymore »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2024, 16:51:12 PM »
My cotton towelling for the dressing gown/bathrobe was from Pound fabrics and is good too.  I have some bits of viscose from there which I want to have a go at when I have cleaned up the mess I just made.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2024, 17:10:40 PM »
They have soooo much lovely stuff. I ordered from them for the first time a few weeks ago, and was delighted with the quality of the fabrics - and one of them was £1.50/m.  I do need some more jersey bias binding from them, and as you're all being so encouraging it would be rude not to look around properly.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2024, 19:25:29 PM »
I've just received a lovely linen/viscose print (John Louden) from Pound Fabrics. £8.75/m which I think is very reasonable. This will be a dress for me. Also 4m of white muslin at £2/m to make a couple of summer shirts for DH.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
I bought some of the very same linen/viscose print a couple of weeks ago @Lachica. Sadly, I didn't buy from Pound fabrics  :cry:
It has softened up really well after washing. I'm planning to make a top with mine.

realale

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 14:48:48 PM »
I saw that at the show yesterday and was tempted......  :D
So many beers, so little time.