The Sewing Place

Overlocker recommendations please

Celia

Re: Overlocker recommendations please
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2023, 10:11:31 AM »
@So Chic you have to remember they were there to sell Babylock machines :laughing:

I agree you can get some other machines that work beautifully but some are an absolute nightmare. 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2023, 11:10:21 AM »
@SewRuthieSews your Bernina 800 shouldn’t be tricky to thread.  The lower looper swings right out making it easy to thread.    It’s the same as the 1150 which I have and I always rethread from scratch now as it’s quicker than tying on. 

Agreed the looper are not too bad, but I find the needles fiddlier to thread than my old NewHome 134D (which has difficult to thread loopers) because the upper knife assembly blocks access.
I watched a lot of YouTube videos for the machine and we get along OK now, so I'm not looking to replace it myself, but if someone could buy any new machine maybe this wouldn't be it :-)

Elnnina

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2023, 11:20:45 AM »
Bodgeitandscarper there is a lady in Norfolk - Janet Spink and she used to write books/demonstrate on all things Babylock maybe worth getting in touch with her for some up to date advice on this model.  Have fun.

StitchinTime

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2023, 12:11:17 PM »
@SewRuthieSews I have a Bernina 600DL and can raise the knife to make access easier. I think the same can be done on the 800DL.
https://www.bernina.com/Bernina/media/Support/Overlocker_Serger/800DL/Documents/EN/Instruction-Manual-700D_800DL_EN_DE_FR_E.pdf

So Chic

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2023, 12:27:00 PM »
@Celia   The class was a follow up to a “get to know your overlocker” class and we had to take our overlockers, it was not a Babylock demonstration.  I appreciate that the tutor worked for Babylock but she  shouldn’t have put down other machines, also she did not provide any hand outs which would have been helpful considering the cost of the class.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Celia

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2023, 13:00:02 PM »
@So Chic yes I do agree that is not good especially if you were paying for it.

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2023, 08:27:43 AM »
This is a fascinating discussion. My basic Janome overlocker is about 25 years old and it works fine but is a bit of a bear to rethread if you aren't successful in tying on the new thread and sewing it through.

Your Jaguar machine looks like an absolute bargain @Greybird and I am sorely tempted. I can see it on the Jaguar website and GUR have it but I don't see anywhere where I could see it in action. Might I ask where you and your DD got yours?
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2023, 09:41:21 AM »
@Tamnymore we both got them from GUR. Very good service too.

Tamnymore

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2023, 09:54:36 AM »
Thanks @Greybird . Yes GUR have a good name.

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2023, 10:12:23 AM »
I have the same overlocker, and am equally pleased with it.  Mine came from Sewing Machines Direct, who were brilliant. They offered me as much help over the phone/email as I needed (for overlocking in general, not just for this machine) - I was scared of overlockers at that point - but I didn't need any.

I got a free set of feet and carrying bag as well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:14:06 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2023, 12:56:21 PM »
I’ve done several lessons on Jaguar overlockers, which is what @Greybird has and I was very surprised and pleased with the way they behaved.  They sound nice, if you know what I mean.  :) Easy to thread, thread cutter on top, stitched nicely, well behaved and a good price.   

Tamnymore

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2023, 16:44:45 PM »
Oops I've bought a new overlocker. Love Bodgey's new Rolls Royce one but have gone for the VW Golf equivalent instead - namely the Novum 488 from GUR. It has the feet and carry bag. It's a lot cheaper than the new model - the 489 - but has the same mecahinms and threading and so on.
 I'm assuming it's come down in price so much as they want to get rid of the old stock so they can sell the new model. I won't accuse everyone of being influencers as I'm extremely easily led so it's entirely my fault. But after 25 years with a very basic model it will be nice to have a new solid machine. Once I'm set up I'll have to find a home for the old overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2023, 18:12:54 PM »
@Tamnymore I’m sure you’ll find it better than the Janome!  Enjoy! 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2023, 18:19:12 PM »
Ooh, well done @Tamnymore  0_0

Greybird

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2023, 23:11:13 PM »
@Tamnymore - hope you're as happy with it as I am with mine!