The Sewing Place

Wardrobe Maintenance

SewRuthieSews

Re: Wardrobe Maintenance
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2023, 10:14:52 AM »
I keep finding more stuff stashed away in various places. Its all coming out on the rail to be looked at.
I'm sure there's another storage bag of clothes in the garage, but maybe that's for another day!

Boppingbeth

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2023, 13:25:34 PM »
I’m joining you on this refresh journey, mostly because my three favourite black cardigans all died in the same week.  Time to pull everything out and let go of what doesn’t work or figure out how to cut it smaller to make it work. 

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2023, 14:11:49 PM »
Doing this with moving in mind and I'm not a keeping person anyway - I try to live by 1 in 1 out. I got rid of some handbags that are too scruffy - I have a lovely pale pink and lurex tweed one that I used all summer but has now got grubby beyond belief so that's going to the recyclery shop where they will make it into something else and use the hardware.  I passed on a coat I've had and loved for years but no longer fits. I have some boiled wool to make a replacement.  Lots of shoes have gone and I'm almost ready to let go a pair of leather long boots I haven't worn for years - they are comfy and gorgeous soft leather but I've had them for -wow - more than 40 years!!! and the shape is just a bit odd on me now. Not the sort of thing I could alter really!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2024, 11:21:25 AM »
These are my latest thoughts/updates on my wardrobe maintenance.

As you know I sew a lot. Some things work and go into my wardrobe rotation and other things don't but I learned from them.  Most of what I'm sewing is from stash, built up whilst I was working full time. I often bought fabric as a nice stress relief, but then didn't have time to sew it all up. I've given quite a lot away, sold a few bits and now sew what is left with great freedom. Everything I sew now I add a label in it (all mine say XL) so I can donate it later without rework. I've been supporting a local charity who gift clothing to people who can't afford it (sort of like a food bank but for clothes) so I've sent them the 'normal' looking things including some nice pieces. I live in an intersection of 3 suburbs, one of which is quite bohemian and has a lot of charity shops. So anything more unusual gets donated there.

To decide what to keep and what to give away I've been turning the hangers round after I've worn and washed an item and put those at one end of the rail. I then try to make myself pick things from the other end. Sometimes I decide to wear something and put it on, only to find it doesn't fit, so that goes away to the donation pile. I'm also discovering one or two things I would like to have but don't so they go on the 'to sew' list. My summer clothing are in plastic tubs at the top of the wardrobe so I'll tackle them later in the year.

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2024, 22:12:32 PM »
@SewRuthieSews  I'm a hanger turner arounder too. Very interesting  to see the results after a season.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !