The Sewing Place

Project Queue

Kwaaked

Re: Project Queue
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2023, 07:25:57 AM »
I sew weird anyway.

I mood board, gather ideas, sketch, find/make patterns, do something else.  (Also, this is why I sew a season ahead.)

I swatch, match and create a cohesive collection.  I then do an adult version of Fashion Plates (this is what I am referring to) tweak, change, finalize patterns.

Sew something else, usually for someone else.  Get stuck with a load at work and can't sew for myself.  Buy a horse.

Make mock ups. Not as hard as that sounds since I don't do sleeves (I have my own pattern and specs since I am a T-Rex...it is easier to just have drafted sleeves for myself, so they never need checking), hem, or even really full garments.  Transfer changes to pattern.

Cut everything...add all markings, tailor tacks and figure out what findings and notions I now need (because the fabric is not always the same).

Sew.  Depending on work schedule if I do it or not or if I work easy projects first.  If I am slow, I rotate hard and easy.  Sometimes.  Sometimes all the easy items get flashed out in a few days.  Sometimes that Shanel jacket is the most interesting thing in the world.  Usually I will sew garments in the same color family.  I need less stuff to mess with (seam binding, thread colors, etc) UNLESS it's a more detailed item and I am not in the mood for it.

Don't finish a damn thing.  Seriously.  Once it can get on a hanger and in a garment bag (because at that point it is 90% done...there it will be).  Once everything is that point...depends on work load, what I want to do and the time I have.  Usually it goes something like...pin all hems (coverstitch and regular), mark button holes, pin bagged linings, add elastic.  (Note: Not a thing is still finished!).

Then I do the rest based on thread color.  Except buttonholes (different machine, doesn't matter).  All hand sewing after: buttons (yes I can machine them, don't), beads, gems, whatever.

Technically, this is done at this point but I haven't ironed them, so they aren't, because I HATE everything.  Into a garment bag it goes, into my storage closet and there they will hang for a minimum of 6 weeks, preferably 3 months.  Then I remember I have a perfect outfit for something, take them out, iron and...Done.

Middle of this I have an alteration business, family I sew for, a farm, a side hustle and I can have 2 or 3 "collections" going at once.  I can draw off grid, for example.