The Sewing Place

Fabric Stash of doom

Morgan

Re: Fabric Stash of doom
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2023, 00:43:40 AM »
. . .  Now the large  jersey stash is gone and I’m having trouble finding a lot that takes my fancy. 
Same here so recently I've ordered from some Print To Order outlets.  It does involve higher prices than many knits off the boat, but there's usually the option to choose your preferred fabric base which I like. Also, there can be up to a 6 week wait for the print run.   In effect they are limited edition prints.

Many of the designs these sites offer tend to be  for children and even the small range of adult patterns have only a couple that suit my taste .  Even so more 'adult' designs are being offered. 
Pattern Happy fabrics - love their Bamboo Terry and the Bamboo Jersey with 5% lycra.
JJ and Hux  Fabrics and Flamingo fabrics. 
Nicole at DotsnStripes also offers one or two nice knit fabrics.

Surest1tch

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2023, 11:32:58 AM »
@Lowena it's time, apart from having to try and look after my disabled son who lives in the next village, DH's spine is crumbling making him physically disabled he's also recently been diagnosed with the early stages of dementia.
I've been thinking about bringing a couple of my machines downstairs so I can maybe have some me time on them but again it's finding time to even do that  :boohoo:.

Missie

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2023, 12:24:22 PM »
I fear you may be just a mere beginner at the fabric stash game, compared to some on here  :S

Yep, this ^^^^^ :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 12:41:44 PM »
@Lowena if you’re a dressmaker you have to get fabric when you see it as there aren’t many shops around and even some online ones have shut.  There are no shops near me at all.

@Morgan I’ll have a look at those.  I have found, as you say, many are for children and I have found that more and more are.

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2023, 14:12:18 PM »
A mere beginner, but you are on the right lines! I had a radical sort out a few weeks ago and took it  to the remaking shop in Prades. They have made some of it into bags - and very nice they looked in the window, something I'd never have done.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2023, 12:59:26 PM »
Yes @Ohsewsimple I understand that, but that doesn't explain why so much is bought, put away but never used.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2023, 15:23:54 PM »
@Lowena it's because sources of fabric are so few and far between now that if you see something you like you need to buy it even if you don't have an immediate use for it. Otherwise, when you do want it, it isn't going to be there.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2023, 16:52:48 PM »
@Lowena  as @Greybird says you buy when you see it without having a project in mind. I had  quite a stash of jersey fabrics and sweater knits.  They almost ALL got used during the pandemic.  It kept me sane and stopped me thinking about things. I’m down to 2 recent ones for tee shirts etc.  If I was to buy all that now the price would be doubled as fabric has gone up astronomically. So people buy a bargain or in the sales. 
I appreciate there are people who seem to go OTT with buying.  But I guess it depends on the price.  I’m not a lover of cheap fabric.  Made some horrible mistakes when I was younger and it’s wasted money.  But if you get a nice fabric at a good price it’s daft to ignore it.  It's not repeatable.
We never know what we might want to make with a particular fabric but just have to have it.  It’s a passion, an obsession.  It’s the same as someone who collects ornaments or pictures or other stuff like that.  And I don’t like all that and  consider it useless. :)
But unless you’re a dressmaker I don’t think you can understand the thrill of finding something beautiful, unusual, exciting.   Something that feels wonderful to touch and 'speaks to you'.
I’m sure other people will here will understand that.

Ouryve

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2023, 17:48:23 PM »
But unless you’re a dressmaker I don’t think you can understand the thrill of finding something beautiful, unusual, exciting.   Something that feels wonderful to touch and 'speaks to you'.
I’m sure other people will here will understand that.

And the joy of having a stash of lovely cool shades to reach for when the shops are full of vibrant oranges and yellows, this season.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2023, 18:21:19 PM »
But does any of it ever get used???? 64k$ question ??????
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Puzzler

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2023, 18:49:52 PM »
Well, yes. Yve finds the time to make lovely things. Ohsewsimple whipped through her stash during lockdown. Others are producing from the looks of their diaries.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2023, 19:28:00 PM »
Yes it gets used here.  In fact I had kept a piece of leftover wool mix jersey in my stash and 15 years later I finally worked out what other fabrics went with it and how it could be used. Another pandemic make.

Ouryve

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2023, 20:59:17 PM »
The green stripy fabric I'm currently turning into something (hopefully) wearable and lovely marinated for a good year before I worked out exactly what it would become. Same for the Harper City Liberty lawn that became my Atlas blouse. I bought a load of sweater knits, last month, for a good price. One or two of them are likely to get made up this winter but the rest will be there ready for another winter.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2023, 21:23:22 PM »
I sorted my fabric out when I was off sick…..  :scream:  I kept buying bits and different types to play with but hadnt realised just how much i had…. I can’t be the only one? This is not all of it!!   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Humph ... thats literally NOTHING !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Missie

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2023, 07:52:23 AM »
Well, yes. Yve finds the time to make lovely things. Ohsewsimple whipped through her stash during lockdown. Others are producing from the looks of their diaries.

But not me.  I am still busing adding to my (considerable) stash whilst not having time to sew.  :S  One day.....