The Sewing Place

Hi all

SewRuthieSews

Re: Hi all
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 12:12:30 PM »
Welcome DeeTee, there are a few people making bags on here, so you'll get lots of inspiration reading their posts.

Bill

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 12:56:31 PM »
Are you a member of sewing machines anonymous  :laugh:

Once you're hooked there's no getting out. It's like they're begging to be collected....buy me...buy me...buy me...and before you know it, you're up to your eyeballs in thread reels and sewing machines. If you get really stricken by the phenomenon you'll start naming your machines too  :scream:
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2023, 16:45:29 PM »
If I hadn't been really disciplined I'd have five by now, but I moved DH's granny's Singer 15 onto a charity and I've resisted taking on my late godmother's Janome on the grounds that it's totally seized, having never been used since the day her sister (died 1988) bought it for her. 

So now I have my turn-of-the-millennium Brother electronic and my own mum's 1978 Singer 522, which I keep because its straight stitching knocks spots off the Brother, although the Brother does good automatic buttonholes and a wider range of utility stitches.  Those two and my overlocker - no more room at the inn!

Don't ask me about the fabric stash, though....

Hideout Hen

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 17:21:56 PM »
Hi there.
Like any hobby, you can get hooked and find yourself collecting all sorts of paraphernalia associated with it. E.g Sewing machine feet....
You can get so many you can't cram them into the box. Then probably never use half of them.  :embarrassed:
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

Surest1tch

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 21:03:47 PM »
Hello there and welcome from me too, I'm saying nothing about getting more machines. Why?  ::thinks:: because I know about all about how it happens  :laughing:.

deetee

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 22:18:21 PM »
Hello there and welcome from me too, I'm saying nothing about getting more machines. Why?  ::thinks:: because I know about all about how it happens  :laughing:.

i know...I have 5 guitars and 2 ukuleles  :laugh:

Catllar

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2023, 12:44:16 PM »
I think one will be enough..

Now here is your first lesson : 1 machine is never enough. Suppose it breaks down and needs to go to the hospital - it is against the law not to have at least one fully functioning machine in the house!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ouryve

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2023, 16:53:48 PM »
I was always under the impression that one machine was plenty.  ::thinks::
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2023, 17:30:17 PM »
I was always under the impression that one machine was plenty.  ::thinks::

:laughing: :laughing:   Silly girl!

Ouryve

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2023, 17:41:23 PM »
I know better now, @Ohsewsimple  8)
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kwaaked

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2023, 22:46:56 PM »
...even I have 2 here at the farm!

One treadle and one hand crank!

Catllar

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2024, 14:30:34 PM »
Here's my first bit of practical info @deetee . If you are sewing technical fabrics arm thyself with microtex needles - they will glide through your fabrics without popping each time! If for some reason you can't get microtex, then go for what they call sharps instead.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

deetee

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2024, 14:36:53 PM »
Now here is your first lesson : 1 machine is never enough. Suppose it breaks down and needs to go to the hospital - it is against the law not to have at least one fully functioning machine in the house!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Loststitch65

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2024, 09:20:56 AM »
Welcome

What everyone has said about one sewing machine is true  :laughing:
It’s Diane’s fault 🧵
Brother LS14S for now 😁
Cheap and cheerful overlocker from Aldi