The Sewing Place

Ideas for 2024 contests and / or sewalongs?

realale

Re: Ideas for 2024 contests?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2023, 09:15:16 AM »
I prefer the idea of sewalongs or sew togethers rather than a competition. More a 'chat as we do it'  sharing our progress/lack of but still with a time limit.
I like most of the suggestions here, especially @Diane .
Stash buster and UFO always seem a good idea.
Warm and cosy - could include knitted socks as well as lap quilts and crocheted shawls, dog coats or even a teapot cosy etc
Fabric or print mixing
Try something new - could be fabric, pattern, technique.

Thank you @SewRuthieSews for organising these.  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

Diane

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2023, 09:26:43 AM »
I prefer the idea of sewalongs or sew togethers rather than a competition. More a 'chat as we do it'  sharing our progress/lack of but still with a time limit.

@realale Totally agree, not keen on the competitions myself as i think everyone's a winner for just sewing/crafting something in the first place.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2023, 10:16:56 AM »
How about having a big WIPGO board (40 ideas etc) with a large selection of sewing projects/ideas on it that everyone can contribute towards and then you just pick out what you fancy doing for that week or month, you may even like to do something that somebody else has submitted. At least if you pick a project you're more likely to join in as there will be something for everyone, darkside/lightside. If a sewing competition is put in place for say January to complete an item of clothing with stars on for example, then it might not suit everyone so you feel a bit left out and then don't bother sewing anything. We can still have the sewalongs on Tues/Wed and share what we've done......just a thought. Once a month we can say what number square we are working on and i also think it takes the pressure away of trying to get something completed by the deadline.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2023, 11:25:06 AM »
  I've just sat here and made a big WIPGO, just listed all the ideas that i can think of, you may tick off two boxes by making one item ie: a tartan skirt would tick off two numbered boxes. 
It won't let me attach, i'll do a screendump

« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 12:00:51 PM by Diane »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2023, 11:53:25 AM »
I was reading an article online about trends for 2024.

Polka dots (we already had a dots and spots contest)
Metallics
Knitwear
Bows and ribbons
Snowflake patterns
Colour: Cherry red
Short shorts (suspect most of us will not be hankering after a pair of these)

I generally don’t manage to participate in much but I am content to cheer from the sidelines.
@Puzzler I read that article (BBC?) and wondered why they referred to lace as "snowflake" patterns - I don't think any of their pics were actually snowflakes!

Puzzler

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2023, 12:59:42 PM »
@Puzzler I read that article (BBC?) and wondered why they referred to lace as "snowflake" patterns - I don't think any of their pics were actually snowflakes!

I must admit, I didn’t pay that much attention. Perhaps lace sounds a bit too old fashioned, so they are rebranding it for younger generations. Who knows?  :rolleyes:

SewRuthieSews

Re: Ideas for 2024 contests and / or sewalongs?
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2023, 09:45:06 AM »
Since we've had a few people saying they don't want contests I've added a poll to this thread so you can vote for
contests
contests and sewalongs
just sewalongs

As you can imagine, setting up the voting for the contests does take a bit of work, but I'm happy to do it if there is interest.

Greybird

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2023, 10:08:21 AM »
As I tend to work in fits and starts rather than steady progress, I have voted for contests only. Having said that, I haven't managed to take part in anything this year. I will try to do better in 2024 - promise!

Lachica

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2023, 10:20:16 AM »
I've voted for a bit of each, but as we have a focus on DH's treatment it's unlikely I'll enter.  I'll enjoy reading about other people's ideas though. Thanks to @SewRuthieSews for organising these, it's a great idea and even if it's a 'contest' with a winner we're all grown up enough to not mind being last.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Helen M

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2023, 10:48:18 AM »
I voted for a bit of both.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73