The Sewing Place

Update on my sewing machine world. LATEST

Ohsewsimple

Re: Update on my sewing machine world. LATEST
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2024, 18:54:28 PM »
Ooh, @Bill , how exciting for you!  Just please do not take it apart or adjust it!!!

:laughing: :laughing:  My thoughts exactly!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2024, 19:07:18 PM »
@Bill Enjoy, but read the b****y instructions. I have used one of these. It requires firm but respectful handling. Once you get to know it, it will do everything you want (sewingwise ;)). Put the screwdrivers away. You do not need them.

(Still haven't got the finger wagging icon...)

@Mr Twingo  please can we have one ... also a smilie with a loud hailer please
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 11:07:06 AM by Iminei »

Bill

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2024, 20:08:06 PM »
So glad for you @Celia and I’m sure you will feel much better now.
@Bill, wow, that’s some machine you will have.  But it will require some reading of the instruction book!  There are lots of videos here and she is brilliant at showing how to use the machines. 
https://sewingmastery.com/bernina-570/

Been trying to watch those very vids today @Ohsewsimple  I happened upon them by sheer accident. I even downloaded the manual last night  :)
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Tamnymore

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2024, 20:24:45 PM »
That's great that you are getting it @Bill. Good to hear it's staying in the family, the TSP family that is!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Celia

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2024, 21:13:40 PM »
That's great that you are getting it @Bill. Good to hear it's staying in the family, the TSP family that is!

I agree glad it’s staying here

Gernella

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2024, 10:11:35 AM »
First thing I thought of @Ohsewsimple  men are notorious for not reading manuals/instructions whatever.  There's no need to read the whole lot at first @Bill just the salient parts before you sew.

And don't you dare moan now, you've got a really classy machine.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bill

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2024, 11:21:21 AM »
From what I've seen, the menu system on berninas and bernettes are pretty much the same although the berninas will be a bit more in depth so no worries there.
Burt MK1 went back because he was faulty but Burt MK2 has been running nicely and hasn't really given me any grief except for that stupidly weak button holer.
I'm sure Bernie the Bernina will be just as well behaved if not even better. Can't believe there's no button foot with it though. Wth were Bernina thinking? Luckily, I can actually sew on a button by hand so that'll do till I save the millions needed for the Bernina foot.

I think there was only that wretched atelier that caused the screwdriver calamity.

Celias 570 as we all know is too good for the likes of me but I hope to someday do it justice and be worthy of it's existence. I'll have lots of fun on that journey I'm sure 😊
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 11:29:45 AM by Bill »

KayK

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2024, 12:47:25 PM »
@Bill- just take your time with it - they are lovely machines and my only advice re: tinkering is that they need a surprising amount of oiling!.  The feet are very expensive, but the quality is far better.  Buttonholes are very good indeed. 
https://www.sewingmachineworld.co.uk - a very good company (used to be on the old site as 'Sewing Machine Steve').  They often have a 'Bernina offer of the month' which is worth a look at from time to time

Good luck!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

StitchinTime

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2024, 13:18:12 PM »
Can't believe there's no button foot with it though. Wth were Bernina thinking? Luckily, I can actually sew on a button by hand so that'll do till I save the millions needed for the Bernina foot.

@Bill What about this for attaching buttons? It’s cheaper than the Bernina foot  :P
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266450555503

Bill

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2024, 15:02:19 PM »
That kit looks like something that would confuzzle me. I don't do many buttons so I'll stick to finger bodging them for now. Thank for the link though @StitchinTime 🙂
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 20:03:40 PM by Bill »

Tamnymore

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2024, 16:20:30 PM »
Just to say @Bill that we have installed surveillance cameras in your sewing space ( courtesy of TSPeepers ) and if a screwdriver is spotted a flying squad will descend and confiscate it .....  :laughing:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bill

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2024, 16:42:06 PM »
That made me laugh  :laughing:
I believe you @Tamnymore  :D

Flobear

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2024, 16:44:13 PM »
I have once sewn a button on using my Pfaff, just to try it. Worked OK, but well scary and I'm not convinced it wouldn't come off if the thread end got loose.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

So Chic

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2024, 16:47:19 PM »
@Bill   enjoy your new machine and RTFM if you have a problem.  I have a Bernina and absolutely love it.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Bill

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2024, 17:14:37 PM »
I had to Google RTFM.
 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:  Will do  :D