The Sewing Place

Hi folks, another newbie-ish guy here.

grndkntrl

Re: Hi folks, another newbie-ish guy here.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 15:21:10 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

So far I just have the sewing machine, a fabric tape measure, and those three books.

I still need to get around to buying all the other basic kit: a good set of scissors, rotary cutters & mat, chalk pencil, manual needles, pins, thimbles, etc, etc.... I'm on a tight-ish budget, so have to spread out my purchases a bit over the next few months or so, but I've been shopping around for good prices with various haberdasheries so have a pretty good idea of what I need to get.

Hiya @grndkntrl your approach sounds realistic.

You'll get used to your machine sewing the household textiles, which will help you learn some techniques you can later use when you start garment sewing. If you put a few zips and buttonhole closures on your cushions you'll have practised that before you want to put it onto clothing.

Yep, this is my plan, start off with the basics, mess about with scraps & cheap-ish thread (I have 2 variety boxes (48x 900m spools for £40) of Coats Moon from A&N Trimmings on order) to get the hang of all the various stitches & machine settings.

And then I'll start on the things I'm less bothered about minor screwups on, on cheap-ish fabric that isn't tricky to work with.

On the clothing front you'll need to learn what fit alterations you need to make (mostly adding length it sounds like) as well as the techniques for sewing the garments. I'd suggest starting with something simple like a sweatshirt top and elasticated trousers, lounge wear at home :-) before tackling more fitted things.

I have a few favourite items of clothing that've almost fallen apart, but still fit me well enough, so I'll probably start picking those apart & trace them to make muslin toiles, and then I'll look for fabric comparable to the originals.

If you stay with the same brand of sewing patterns - e.g. Burda, then your alterations will be the same each time.

I've already downloaded some free patterns from various sites & have a wishlist of paid patterns for stuff like you mentioned; pajamas, loungewear, raglan t-shirts...

Then I've already started building up another wishlist of more complex patterns for later down the line, and potentially for hacking into my own patterns.

I'm also playing about in Seamly2D (opensource patternmaking software), which has a companion module for recording a multitude of measurements, and creating the basic blocks from the Aldrich & Kershaw books I mentioned in my first post.

Good Luck and please do share as you go along!

Thanks, I will do!

Glenn.
Just starting out with a Brother FS40s for now!

Also dabbling in 3D printing & electronics.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 18:03:17 PM »
Hello @grndkntrl and welcome.

If your budget is tight think carefully about the habby purchases.  Needles and pins are consumables and you have to have them.  Cutting quipment is also essential but you don't need shears and a rotary cutter to start with.

There are two schools of thought about rotary cutters - some people love them and use one for almost all cutting out, others much prefer the conventional shears (or scissors). 

I am in the shearrs/scissors camp.  For cutting out garment pieces I always use shears - and I flinch when I see  contestants on GBSB using rotary cutters and fear for their fingers especially when they are cutting towards themselves! :scream:  I also think that scissors are more accurate when cutting out small fiddly pieces.  I do use a rotary cutter but only with an acrylic ruler when cutting strips and squares for patchwork.  I am also one who pins pattern pieces to the fabric rather than hoping that weights and gravity will keep the pattern pieces where they need to be.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

realale

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2024, 09:03:33 AM »
Old sheets & duvet covers give lots of fabric to practice on. Charity shops are a good hunting ground also. Some on here have dropped lucky on their purchases from them, me not so much.
So many beers, so little time.

datcat23

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 09:39:15 AM »
Welcome, we loves newbies, they taste like chicken   :devil:

As others have said, don't rush into buying ALL THE THINGS!  because often you can make do with bits and bobs, until your skills get to the point where the tool becomes necessary.  I agree about rotary cutters.  They are great with a straight edge for cutting straight lines, but I am not fond of them on curves, and its too easy to overextend, and cause your fabric to shift, or slice into the pattern, or your hand. 

So, I have a few "must do" rules
1.  Never put pins in your mouth
2.  Pressing seams is far more effective than you would think
3.  Only sew when tired, if you want to build up your unpicking skills. 

Your local charity shop can be a cost effective source of fabric, patterns, and habby .....  give yourself time to uncover the gems.  I am looking forward to seeing your future projects. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

grndkntrl

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2024, 15:30:14 PM »
Hello @grndkntrl and welcome.

If your budget is tight think carefully about the habby purchases.  Needles and pins are consumables and you have to have them.  Cutting quipment is also essential but you don't need shears and a rotary cutter to start with.

There are two schools of thought about rotary cutters - some people love them and use one for almost all cutting out, others much prefer the conventional shears (or scissors). 

I am in the shearrs/scissors camp.  For cutting out garment pieces I always use shears - and I flinch when I see  contestants on GBSB using rotary cutters and fear for their fingers especially when they are cutting towards themselves! :scream:  I also think that scissors are more accurate when cutting out small fiddly pieces.  I do use a rotary cutter but only with an acrylic ruler when cutting strips and squares for patchwork.  I am also one who pins pattern pieces to the fabric rather than hoping that weights and gravity will keep the pattern pieces where they need to be.

Luckily although my budget is tight-ish, I've not got much in the way of outgoings to worry about, no partner/kids, no pets currently (although I'm a cat person at heart), I don't smoke or drink, have no vehicle cost to worry about other than a bicycle, and I don't get out very much at all due to major social anxiety issues & long term depression for starters!

So... I have a lot of time on my hands to spread things out a fair bit. I'm also pretty shrewd about purchases & will hunt down the best prices on decent stuff so I don't end up buying thrice, crying twice! 🤣

I've used Olfa rotary cutters before, so I'm okay with using the smaller diameter (18 & 28mm) wheels to get into the tight corners & curves that the larger (45 & 60mm) ones can't. And I'll not be getting close enough to my fingers with them, touch wood! But I'll still get some decent scissors too.

I have a 3D printer so I can knock out some fancy pattern weight shells to fill with ball bearings, when the time comes to need those.

Old sheets & duvet covers give lots of fabric to practice on. Charity shops are a good hunting ground also. Some on here have dropped lucky on their purchases from them, me not so much.

Yep, I'll be hitting up the local charity shops in the next week to have a gander at what stuff they have in that regard. My part of North London can be a bit hit & miss in the sort of stuff in them though, but we'll see.

Welcome, we loves newbies, they taste like chicken   :devil:

As others have said, don't rush into buying ALL THE THINGS!  because often you can make do with bits and bobs, until your skills get to the point where the tool becomes necessary.  I agree about rotary cutters.  They are great with a straight edge for cutting straight lines, but I am not fond of them on curves, and its too easy to overextend, and cause your fabric to shift, or slice into the pattern, or your hand. 

So, I have a few "must do" rules
1.  Never put pins in your mouth
2.  Pressing seams is far more effective than you would think
3.  Only sew when tired, if you want to build up your unpicking skills. 

Your local charity shop can be a cost effective source of fabric, patterns, and habby .....  give yourself time to uncover the gems.  I am looking forward to seeing your future projects. 

Haha, I'm not sure I would have a chicken flavour from what I usually eat!

1. I wouldn't trust myself with pins in my mouth, so that's not something I'd ever entertain anyway!
2. Yep, I've got a decent iron (a Bosch or Philips I think) from years back when I use to have to iron my work shirts.... and one of those mini ironing boards for the sleeves and what not.
3. Haha, well I probably do need the practice!

Even though I mainly intend to make household textiles & clothes for myself, I have thought about picking up some of the unwanted mens & womens middle- & outerwear from charity shops, just so I can pick them apart to look at their construction, and then reuse the fabric to either practice sewing on, or else repurpose into my own Franken-garments.

I've just today received the 2 assortment boxes of 48x Coats Moon spools that I ordered on Saturday so can start filling up some bobbins for the Brother FS40s!
 :dance:

So Chic

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2024, 15:49:25 PM »
@grndkntrl   You'll find loads of good advice and information on here, and everyone is very friendly.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 16:34:26 PM »
Hi there :-)

My advice is as follows:

1.  If you plan to use Aldrich, you need a fit buddy.  It is painful trying to fit trouser blocks or, indeed, shirt blocks when you can't see your back view.  For this reason alone it might be worth finding a club or course, just to get your basic blocks nailed down.

2.  Only buy haberdashery as you need it.  Fiskars scissors used to be great but I hear that nowadays they're manufactured in China with the usual effect on quality.  Don't buy any scissors online if you can avoid it - try before you buy because they need to fit comfortably in your hand or you will hate them.

3.  Second the advice about not 'just get this bit done then I'll have a cuppa' - that bit will inevitably need to be unpicked.

4.  Empress Mills is a great source of consumables and bits of equipment.  They do a wrapped thread shade card that they will send you for a small consideration - call them and they are very helpful.  The thread is good quality (I've used their cotton and their wrapped polyester) and they do it in 1000m and 5000m spools, making it a lot cheaper than the 100m spools you get in the shops.

Adelante!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2024, 16:58:54 PM »
I only wind bobbins just before I start sewing with a particular colour.
I then keep the wound bobbins in a box for next time.

grndkntrl

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2024, 18:45:04 PM »
Hi there :-)

My advice is as follows:

1.  If you plan to use Aldrich, you need a fit buddy.  It is painful trying to fit trouser blocks or, indeed, shirt blocks when you can't see your back view.  For this reason alone it might be worth finding a club or course, just to get your basic blocks nailed down.

2.  Only buy haberdashery as you need it.  Fiskars scissors used to be great but I hear that nowadays they're manufactured in China with the usual effect on quality.  Don't buy any scissors online if you can avoid it - try before you buy because they need to fit comfortably in your hand or you will hate them.

3.  Second the advice about not 'just get this bit done then I'll have a cuppa' - that bit will inevitably need to be unpicked.

4.  Empress Mills is a great source of consumables and bits of equipment.  They do a wrapped thread shade card that they will send you for a small consideration - call them and they are very helpful.  The thread is good quality (I've used their cotton and their wrapped polyester) and they do it in 1000m and 5000m spools, making it a lot cheaper than the 100m spools you get in the shops.

Adelante!

1. Yeah, I'll be getting my older sister to help out with the trickier measurements when I next see her; I've done a lot of the easy ones that won't be distorted by trying to take them in awkward positions. I'm using the free SeamlyMe software (part of Seamly2D) to record my measurements, as it can map those onto both Aldrich's measurement system as well as the one in Gareth Kershaw's Menswear patterning book.

2. No worries there, I'm pacing myself for sure! There's a couple of Haberdasher's reasonably local to me here in North London; Dalston Mill Fabrics, London Trimmings, William Gee, and of course the one in John Lewis (but only if I really need to go there).

3. Haha! I go through copious amounts of tea as it is, so that won't be a problem either!

4. I've read/heard good things about Empress already & have them bookmarked; but that's good to know about the shade cards, thanks for the tip.

My sister has some stuff she hasn't used for a long time so I'll ask to "borrow" a few bits that she won't miss! 😏

Thanks!

Ouryve

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2024, 22:54:48 PM »
I'm loving your full on geek approach, @grndkntrl though I have haberdashery envy as John Lewis is my main local (ish) option other than Boyes (won't knock it because it has the biigest gutermann stand I've ever seen) and a market stall that sells terrible fabric (mostly craft polycotton) and a tiny selection of thread but always has the most perfect buttons at a ridiculously low price.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

grndkntrl

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2024, 23:45:39 PM »
I'm loving your full on geek approach, @grndkntrl though I have haberdashery envy as John Lewis is my main local (ish) option other than Boyes (won't knock it because it has the biigest gutermann stand I've ever seen) and a market stall that sells terrible fabric (mostly craft polycotton) and a tiny selection of thread but always has the most perfect buttons at a ridiculously low price.

Thanks @Ouryve, Boyes is a new name to me, so I just went and found their site, tried the Store Locator to see if there's one near me.... and it doesn't work.... because their Wed Devs have botched the whole location lookup implementation with their access keys to Google Maps.....sigh...

....I've sent a message via their contact form to let their web team know.

edit: It seems like the nearest Boyes store to me is way up in Cambridgeshire, so sadly I probably won't be visiting them anytime soon anyway.

I do like Gütermann thread as my Mum used to swear by it, and then my sister too, so once I've racked up a lot more experience under my belt using the cheaper Coats Moon (that I now have a reasonable supply of), I'll start stocking up on some of the good stuff.

I did notice that the Coats Moon is a lot fluffier than what I recall of Gütermann's Sew-All, so that's interesting how Coats have managed to fit 900m of fluffy polyester thread onto a spool not much bigger than Gütermann have with 100m of their smoother Sew-All.....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 00:21:34 AM by grndkntrl »