The Sewing Place

Zero Waste Patterns

Ouryve

Re: Zero Waste Patterns
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2024, 15:38:06 PM »
That is an interesting pattern - it looks as though it may be cut to minimise the amount of fabric needed rather than just using everything.  I'd like to see a front-on picture of it on a real person though!

I'd like to see how it moves, as well. I would expect it to twist a bit, with wear.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2024, 16:11:38 PM »
Another photo of the jacket.  I believe he’s quite well known in the field of ZW.
http://www.addresspublications.com/with-timo-rissanen/

Ouryve

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2024, 16:18:35 PM »
That's a much better picture.

He's going to be slopping around with wet trouser legs in this weather, though  :laughing:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kad

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 16:35:31 PM »

I'd like to see how it moves, as well. I would expect it to twist a bit, with wear.

It'd be a devil to adjust to accommodate the extra length that we usually need to the  sleeves, body length.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 16:56:12 PM »
Interesting article. The whole thing about questioning the production line of how a garment is made us really important.

In terms of new techniques I'm also reminded of the interest in subtraction cutting I remember looking at videos and reading articles but I didn't think I could get the hang of it. And didn't Demented Fairy try it out on her blog some time ago? ZW seems easier to work with at least!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Kwaaked

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 20:58:21 PM »
I wrote a paper about this in college.  Zero waste and sustainable fashion have been the big buzz words in college settings for a while now.

Zero waste is not technically about using ALL the fabric, just minimizing it as much as possible.  Upcycling, recycling and sustainable fabric methods.  It is a misnomer in a way, and a buzz word to get everyone excited.  However, also note that this movement does not usually include the biggest problem countries in the industry.

Zero waste patterns are a neat trick.  However, my paper was about the fact that WWII and below did in fact do absolute zero waste...but only on the domestic industry and not the industrial one.  AKA the time before everyone had to sew some of their clothing.

Natural fabrics, dyes and small production is the key to sustainability.  Every scrap can be utilized in some way.  I happen to make a fake down quit with mine, and my shop is zero waste because every scrap, thread and snip goes into something.

Jobber and overproduction of fabrics is another issue however, without them, most of us would not be able to afford to buy any textiles and many small businesses would not be able to operate because that is the market.  Quality is also an important issue to look at because we don't do fast fashion, but our fabrics are meant for it.

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2024, 22:11:17 PM »

@Ouryve I agree.  I'm not likely to make it, but if I did the first step after cutting would be to stabilise all the diagonal cuts.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2024, 22:30:43 PM »
That's a much better picture.

He's going to be slopping around with wet trouser legs in this weather, though  :laughing:

:laughing:  Yes I’ve never quite understood that fashion.  This was some years ago to be fair. 
 I can’t find the article in threads at the moment but I found it very interesting. 

@Kwaaked I'm a fan of natural fibres.  Comfortable to wear, easy to sew, rots down when finished with. 

@Tamnymore subtraction cutting is another method I nearly put a link to.  I have Julian Robert’s free book.  As you say, difficult to get your head round.  But that’s because we have been conditioned to think a certain way.  If anyone is interested here are some links including the free book

https://researchonline.rca.ac.uk/3060/1/FREE-CUTTING-Julian-Roberts.pdf
https://researchonline.rca.ac.uk/4870/1/REF_Portfolio_Julian%20Roberts_PUBLIC-2021.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app=desktop&list=PLdvctymJGSaNc27Bnjilri7tpA-8NnTwx