The Sewing Place

New to the forum

Puzzler

Re: New to the forum
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2024, 12:38:12 PM »
Hi and welcome @The Shrinking Sewist. I am with you on the poor fit of ready to wear garments. Look forward to seeing some of your makes when you are able to post photos.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2024, 13:58:03 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too  :)

Starryfish

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2024, 14:06:16 PM »
Welcome @The Shrinking Sewist ! I found using my phone on a little stand to take photos is a great fitting aid. Set it on 10sec delay and you don't need to involve other people who never really get what  you are trying to see.
My challenge is my back and bottom so pics are essential.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2024, 14:07:03 PM »
Hello and welcome @The Shrinking Sewist

Please do start a diary thread and join us on the jeans sewalong.

From how you describe your fit frustrations, you may find it helpful to research online the alterations for a full tummy and a full bust. I've been sewing for a full busted friend and had quite a learning curve watching videos on YouTube about FBA (full bust alteration), but guess what the clothes fit her so much better than RTW (ready to wear ie shop bought clothes).

The Shrinking Sewist

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2024, 14:08:44 PM »
Thank you! I’ve just started a diary.

Agreed on FBA as both a full bust and fat belly adjustment! Definitely going to concentrate on learning about those.
Tina

Hideout Hen

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2024, 14:20:05 PM »
Hello and welcome @The Shrinking Sewist .
Most people are here because they don't fit well in the standard off the peg clothing. You're in good company.
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2024, 14:50:19 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP - I read your diary entry first as it just happened to be top of the list.  Yes it is nice to see newcomers who post photos from the beginning - and congratulations on the big weight loss. :)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Cazlyn

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2024, 18:05:06 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too x
Crafting is my happy place

realale

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2024, 19:18:40 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too. Congratulations on your weight loss. I spent ages learning about my fitting issues and now have a standard set I apply to new patterns before even thinking of fine tuning them. Well fitting jeans are a joy to wear.
So many beers, so little time.

Ploshkin

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2024, 22:24:49 PM »
Hey, someone else living in the Principality  :). Welcome @The Shrinking Sewist I see you might have had some snow today.  I'm up in the hills and we didn't get any
Life's too short for ironing.

Helen M

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2024, 23:05:11 PM »
Hello and welcome @The Shrinking Sewist, looking forward to seeing some of your makes!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

The Shrinking Sewist

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2024, 08:18:49 AM »
Hey, someone else living in the Principality  :). Welcome @The Shrinking Sewist I see you might have had some snow today.  I'm up in the hills and we didn't get any
we did! It’s very rare that we get snow. It’s supposed to melt this morning, thankfully. I can’t get my car out of our rural lane at the moment, and I’m going on a sewing day tomorrow somewhere east of here.
Tina

The Shrinking Sewist

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2024, 08:19:50 AM »
Hello and welcome @The Shrinking Sewist, looking forward to seeing some of your makes!
I’ve gone a bit mad and started a diary already  0_0
Tina

Surest1tch

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2024, 17:15:55 PM »
Hi Tina, welcome from me too. Well done on loosing all that weight, it must have been very hard work 🥇👏. Loads of help here from lovely people with an incredible amount of combined knowledge.