The Sewing Place

Bills New Machine

Bill

Re: Bills New Machine
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2024, 23:30:23 PM »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Sewingsue

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2024, 09:57:40 AM »
Thanks @Bill
That looks like a good price too considering some I have seen.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2024, 12:18:31 PM »
@Bill It occurs to me that you might want to reduce the transmission of vibration from the machine to the fabric of the house.  We had that problem with DS's study desk, which I made out of a sheet of softwood taken out of the kitchen when we upgraded it, and four screw-on legs from B&Q.  Behind the desk we installed some of that shelving system where the verticals are screwed to the walls and the shelf brackets clip in, but we had them already so didn't buy new and they were a bit too long, meaning the desk banged against them when he was hammering away on the keyboard or if he moved stuff around.  We solved the problem by using those felt pads you put on the legs of wooden furniture to stop it marking hard floors, which are available for pennies in all sorts of places.

Maybe putting them on the feet of your desk and, if the furniture vibrates when you're machining at speed, on the sides of the worksurface where it abuts the walls?  I wouldn't put them on the feet of the machine itself as it will 'walk'!

Bill

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2024, 14:09:10 PM »
Ah no, the tables aren't actually against the walls. There's about an inch gap. I'm even thinking of widening the gap to about 6 inches so that fabric can fall behind it when cutting out etc.
Round about COVID outbreak I actually looked into paying for getting the wall fitted with sound proofing but ££££££££££££ pricey!

Ploshkin

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2024, 14:53:35 PM »
Can you work wearing earplugs @Bill ?
Life's too short for ironing.

Bill

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2024, 19:23:21 PM »
Not really keen on that idea @Ploshkin but it's an option if things get too much for me.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2024, 22:11:44 PM »
I wear Toolstation's yellow foam earplugs at night because DH has a tendancy to snore like a rhino when he first falls asleep.  They're about £2 for five pairs and, although they're described as disposable, I get about a fortnight out of them before they loose their squishiness.  Quite comfortable once you allow your ears to stop noticing them.  However, you might not hear the doorbell or phone.....