The Sewing Place

The Official Scrap Quilt Sewalong 2024

Bjay

Re: The Official Scrap Quilt Sewalong 2024
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2024, 11:18:16 AM »
EXCELLENT

Actually feel sewjo surfacing though i need to complete last year's quilt for is first.

I have a pattern I've been thinking of using for sometime. I
have a sofa that needs protection and I have a large quantity of Kaffe Fasset scraps I was hoping to use anyway. I think somewhere there is a piece of backing fabric as well  but would maybe need to buy s9me background fabric.
This may just give me the impetus to get going

Gosh writing this I'm beginning yo feel excited

:dance:

Trying to find my way on the Dark side

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 11:44:21 AM »
@Bjay I'm so happy you are feeling excited.

Well I'm still thinking about the Scrappy Sunshine quilt I linked to on the ideas thread. Today I sorted through my fabric scraps, and something seemed to coalesce from doing that. I have a bunch of medium dark muted purple and blue prints, some mostly white prints and some plain bright yellow (hopefully enough) which sort of fits the guidelines on the tutorial.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 12:10:31 PM »
@Iminei I took all the bits I had, plus cutting a strip (or 2) off anything that had already been cut into, and made 2½ inch squares. I put lights in one box and darks in the other, and sewed pairs together, then split the heap again and sewed into sets of 4, and so on until I had 32 strips made of 36 squares*, then I put then together, and found something to make a border. I cadged the bright green off a friend.

*1152 squares :faints:

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 12:46:09 PM »
I think I have chosen a pattern but I have to finish my current quilt before I can think any more about the next one  :angel:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2024, 15:15:35 PM »
@Deafoldbat I think that is a perfect way to make a scrappy quilt.  The light/dark distinction at the very beginning gives it an overall coherence, but after that there are few decisions to make!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2024, 22:10:11 PM »
@Acorn Thank you. And of course some of the lights are mediums, and some of the darks are mediums, just as long as you remember which were which...

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2024, 07:10:44 AM »
@Deafoldbat  ... Oooooh the chance of bowing must've been enormous .. How did you avoid that lil pitfall?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2024, 19:08:30 PM »
@Iminei I don't recall it bowing - I made it quite a while ago. Pressing the seams to butt and pins probably. Or luck. I no longer have it, it is on long-term/permanent loan, but I visit it regularly and it's nice to see it used.

Celia

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2024, 11:29:55 AM »
I went to look for my quilting square rulers, I used to use them more for cushions, can’t find them so this morning these arrived at 8.45 I only ordered them yesterday.

I am determined to do something, I have found I have quite a bit of pinkish fabric scraps and would love to use them up, I think I will do just as much as I can and if it turns into a cushion so be it, if there is enough I would like to do a lap quilt.

That quit is lovely @Deafoldbat amazing that it was scraps.

Ellabella

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2024, 15:59:43 PM »
@Lowena you may wish to avert your eyes!

You did say SCRAP quilt didn’t you?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Only criterion, if I pick a fabric already used in the block it goes back in the bag, otherwise what comes out goes on.

It’s very liberating.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2024, 18:57:50 PM »
Great approach @Ellabella
I can see how it is liberating!

Celia

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2024, 14:23:02 PM »
I have started photo to prove it, just using left over jelly roll, it’s the one that put me off quilting years ago, it frays even when you look at it.

But I will beat it this time

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2024, 16:59:08 PM »
I've never had a jelly roll that's frayed. I hope you persevere @Celia and join in. Am looking forward to what, mainly lightsiders, make.
I'll start when I've finished my current quilt top. I can only have one project on the go at once.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bjay

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2024, 15:21:10 PM »
Well I've begun sorting
2 ideas will see how they look as blocks first.
The  green is definitely stash  no idea what it was bought for I think there's 2-3 m if it which may do as a background with the KF bits in between .
Will try a block and see

Unable to download photo. Thought I was pk with subs
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 15:40:12 PM by Bjay »
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Sandra

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2024, 17:27:10 PM »
I've been spending a lot of time on Pinterest saving numerous scrappy quilts trying to find ones I like...and there are a lot I really like.

I'm still hopeful I'll join in with this.  :thumb:

Sandra.
xxx