The Sewing Place

The Official Scrap Quilt Sewalong 2024

Pearl

Re: The Official Scrap Quilt Sewalong 2024
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2024, 21:42:57 PM »
I've been spending a lot of time on Pinterest saving numerous scrappy quilts trying to find ones I like...and there are a lot I really like.

I'm still hopeful I'll join in with this.  :thumb:

Sandra.
xxx

I have 86 quilts on my scrappy quilts board, so no shortage of ideas  :laughing:

Cazlyn

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2024, 07:38:25 AM »
@Ellabella I was thinking of using the same approach, I’m hoping to start today.
Crafting is my happy place

Bjay

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2024, 09:16:51 AM »
Well finally here's my pile of KF scraps,and I hope a background fabric .
BUT.i may have changed my mind having found a great scrappy quilt pattern.
Anyway for now
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Iminei

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2024, 09:27:25 AM »
Thats going to be fabulous Bjay ... Anybody fancy some scraps ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2024, 09:50:51 AM »
@Bjay I'm getting serious scrap envy.

I gained some more scraps at the quilt group meeting at the weekend which were left over from a quilt, so I will probably use these for the first of my first scrappy quilts.

realale

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2024, 20:15:23 PM »
Love those scraps @Bjay!!
I've been watching Youtube videos on scrappy quilts. Sooo many ideas (but absolutely zero action!!  :laughing: )
So many beers, so little time.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2024, 21:59:16 PM »
well I have been making more blocks for the Sparkling Stars quilt as I'd like to get the blocks made before I embark on anything else Darkside.

So I measured up some of the stuff I'd put to one side for the Scrappy Sunshine quilt I thought I might try to do, but I have two challenges
1 - I'd quite like a quilt for the sewing room futon, but it'd prefer it to be in colours which match my pretty cushions (purples, pinks, greens and blues) and the sunshine quilt uses yellow and white with the scraps
2 - If I did use yellow my only suitable fabric is not large enough and I don't really want to buy fabric for a supposedly scrap quilt
So maybe that's not the quilt I want to do, or I need to change the colour scheme. Given its the only room in the house I'd be able to get away with any reasonable amount of pink. Maybe I want cream (instead of white), pink (instead of yellow) and the purples, blues and greens as the scraps.

BrendaP

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2024, 09:58:39 AM »
I've made the wonky railfence blocks - 62 of them plus 2 corner blocks - and I've started making the crumb pieces - it's messy job with lots of trimming because you have to have straight edges to join together.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2024, 11:20:51 AM »
maybe that's not the quilt I want to do, or I need to change the colour scheme.

@SewRuthieSews What attracted you to the design in the first place? Was it the colours used or the actual pattern? It sometimes helps to rough out the block in different colours and see if you still like it. Putting light and dark in different places changes the look and leads to new ideas (and a whole new rabbit hole). If you've got mainly pinks, purples, blues and greens, and that's the colour scheme you want, why not go for it?

Flobear

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2024, 11:25:07 AM »
@SewRuthieSews, you could have a look in charity shops for colours you want so it's still semi-scrappy but will be useful for the purpose you have in mind.

PS when did the little sewing machine icons appear on our avatar panels? Has @Mr Twingo been tiddling behind the scenes  ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 11:27:48 AM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2024, 11:36:13 AM »
The background. I had seen on a blog post and then was interested enough to find the YouTube video for a mystery scrappy quilt.
I liked the idea of it being a mystery and it being released monthly, but that does mean I don't know what it will look like as they don't give you a final picture.
As I'm new to quilting, having someone tell me what to do at each step seemed like a good idea.

The guidance for the quilt is
Fabric requirements
White Background Fabric approx. 3 ½ yds
Medium and Dark Prints approx. 2 ½ yds
One Contrast Fabric approx. ¾ yds (they use Yellow)
Binding 1yd.

Having had a rummage in the cotton scraps tub in the garage and elsewhere in the sewing room I have found a few contenders, my favourite being a duckegg blue, plus I think I'd go cream for my 'white'.

White Background Fabric approx. 3 ½ yds - I'll use cream
Medium and Dark Prints approx. 2 ½ yds - I'll use my scraps!
One Contrast Fabric approx. ¾ yds (they use Yellow) - I'll use duck egg blue
Binding 1yd.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 12:54:25 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Sheilago

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2024, 14:33:24 PM »
I like this design, but I’ve already got blocks made of 2” squares and my string blocks, so I could end up with 3 quilts , unless I come up with a way of combining. Maybe I could use the 2” square blocks as a sort of broad border. ::thinks::

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2024, 15:31:56 PM »
@Flobear  I asked MrT to have a twiddle with the sewalong moderators icons  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2024, 20:54:27 PM »
I've just finished ironing the printed scraps I thought might work together for my quilt.
Quite a few of them came from my Auntie Joy's stash, and it's the first time I've unfolded them, interesting to see fat quarters, WOF, pieces with crazy shapes cut out and etc.

I not that I need to cut from the medium and dark prints
12 of 2 1/2" x 24"
8 of 3 1/2" x 6"
72 of 4 1/2" square
148 of 2 1/2" square

So as I ironed the scraps I put the WOF to one side, the biggish bits in another pile and anything smaller in a box.

Quick question - is cotton lawn too thin to use in quilting? (I have some scraps leftover from making blouses for me)

Iminei

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2024, 08:53:17 AM »
Quick question - is cotton lawn too thin to use in quilting? (I have some scraps leftover from making blouses for me)

Not if they've been interfaced