The Sewing Place

Hi, I’ve just joined the forum.

Helen M

Re: Hi, I’ve just joined the forum.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 13:03:36 PM »
Hello @Clduk and welcome from another petite (5'1") who can't find things to fit! Hope you'll enjoy the forum.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Clduk

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2024, 13:33:17 PM »
Hello @Clduk and welcome from another petite (5'1") who can't find things to fit! Hope you'll enjoy the forum.

Hi Helen, nice to find another petite too. Do you use many petite patterns?

So Chic

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 13:59:50 PM »
Welcome to TSP and I’m sure you will find plenty of good advice on here.  I’ve bought from Pound Fabrics, Croft Mill, Minerva, and Dragonfly Fabrics, I’ve also bought from Fabricland but their delivery charges are I think a bit high.  Most of the online shops will send samples sometimes free or a minimal cost.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Greybird

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2024, 14:07:18 PM »
@Clduk I am 5 foot nothing and I don't buy specific petite patterns. I just shorten as necessary.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2024, 16:51:57 PM »
Hiya, @Clduk I'm not sure where you are in Lancashire so a bit hard to recommend things, but there are places where you could go in person

A quick search via a couple of different search engines and I get

Croft Mill in Colne
Greens Fabrics in Blackburn
Immanuel Fabrics in Burnley
Abakhan in Bolton and Preston
Fabrix in Lancaster
and many others

If you're making a special trip I'd phone whichever one up to check they'll be open

Helen M

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2024, 17:20:53 PM »
Hi Helen, nice to find another petite too. Do you use many petite patterns?

I just tend to shorten rather than use specific petite patterns. I'm long waisted so it's mainly waist-hip and skirt/trouser lengths. I also have short arms so they need doing, and to add to that I have square shoulders, so need to make that adjustment as well. I only realised that about 10 years ago and it's been amazing how much the internet has helped in sewing.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Lachica

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2024, 17:51:06 PM »
Hi @Clduk welcome. Another garment sewer here, I also had a long non-sewing gap when my children were young & I was working full time. I'm not petite. Although I used to be tall enough to join the forces or the police, I think the 'average' has now overtaken me! I have a long torso but don't usually need to adjust for this. That's the beauty of sewing to fit ourselves. I've used Pound Fabrics, Lamazi, Dragonfly fabrics online; what type of fabric are you looking for? Looking forward to seeing pics of your creations.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Clduk

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2024, 18:09:28 PM »
Welcome to TSP and I’m sure you will find plenty of good advice on here.  I’ve bought from Pound Fabrics, Croft Mill, Minerva, and Dragonfly Fabrics, I’ve also bought from Fabricland but their delivery charges are I think a bit high.  Most of the online shops will send samples sometimes free or a minimal cost.

Thanks Sochic, some more for me to look into.  :)

Clduk

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2024, 18:40:07 PM »
I just tend to shorten rather than use specific petite patterns. I'm long waisted so it's mainly waist-hip and skirt/trouser lengths. I also have short arms so they need doing, and to add to that I have square shoulders, so need to make that adjustment as well. I only realised that about 10 years ago and it's been amazing how much the internet has helped in sewing.

I think my arms and legs always need shortening and the nape of my neck is shorter so I sometimes adjust that too. But I’m not that clear on where my measurements differ. I have the Winifred Aldrich pattern cutting book and did some pattern cutting as part of my A levels too. Have you ever made your own blocks?

Clduk

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2024, 18:45:23 PM »
Hi @Clduk welcome. Another garment sewer here, I also had a long non-sewing gap when my children were young & I was working full time. I'm not petite. Although I used to be tall enough to join the forces or the police, I think the 'average' has now overtaken me! I have a long torso but don't usually need to adjust for this. That's the beauty of sewing to fit ourselves. I've used Pound Fabrics, Lamazi, Dragonfly fabrics online; what type of fabric are you looking for? Looking forward to seeing pics of your creations.

I like linens and 100%cottons, might try a cotton poplin blouse next. A lot of shops stock poly mixes, which definitely have their place. I made a dress last summer in polycotton gingham.  Looks great but didn’t hem it because I saw some 100% cotton gingham and knew that’s what I really wanted!😂

realale

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2024, 21:41:58 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too. Has anyone mentioned that we like pics?  :pics:
I can't help with fabric shops in Lancashire but in Evesham we have a quilt shop and a small fabric shop and I try to support them both. I used to live in Kidderminster and I read today that a long standing fabric shop there is closing in March. It is situated on a big public carpark so was ideal to pop into whenever I went. So sad.
I also have short arms and legs and a unique torso ( :P ) so do a lot of pattern alteration before I even begin to cut out. I have made my own blocks but now I just tend to alter patterns to fit me using my pattern drafting knowledge.
Looking forward to getting to know you.
So many beers, so little time.

Bill

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2024, 22:49:37 PM »
Hello and welcome to the friendliest forum on the whole planet Carol. I'm in Bolton where we have as mentioned...Abakhan.
There is also Nortex Mill which is a nice place. There is also Gas Street Fabrics in Farnworth who deal mostly with fabrics of an eastern/asian look.
Another I've used is Always Knitting and Sewing which is in Chorley.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2024, 22:50:07 PM »
Welcome to TSP @Clduk from another 5 footer.   Petite garments in the shops are made so that everything is in proportion.  I don't think petite patterns work the same. So pockets etc will be the same as on a larger size.  At least that is how it used to be. 
The demise of fabric shops is a shame as it’s a tactile hobby.  Places I use have mostly been mentioned but there is also Dalston Mills if no one has mentioned that and Stone Fabrics who get orders out very fast.  I’m another who likes natural fabrics. 
There are numerous petite patterns available.  But don’t be put off, just learn to fit and the world is your oyster. 

The Shrinking Sewist

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 07:25:40 AM »
Welcome from another newish member, this is a lovely friendly forum!  I see garments too, but usually have the opposite problem and end up adding length as I’m reasonably tall and also like to have my tummy covered.

Tina

Tamnymore

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2024, 08:35:35 AM »
Welcome @Clduk Have you tried the Standfast and Barracks factory shop in Lancaster. It's on Caton Road. If you are coming from the south it's Jct 34 on the M6 so I usually mither DH into stopping there if we are on our way to Scotland. S&B print for lots of companies and also do their own range of cotton lawns. You can get some great bargains in there.

Immanuels in Burnley is a force of nature. It's in a disused chapel.hence the occasional references to visiting the fabric church. I think they still have a £1 a metre room. Any of the Abakhan branches will be worth visiting. They have remnant bins where the fabric is weighed. There will be some markets worth visiting. Although I've lived in Greater Manchester for years I didn't know about the fabric stalls  on Longsight market until recently. Some very well priced cottons and viscoses there.

And if you are prepared to nip over the border into West Yorkshire then Fabworks in Dewsbury is excellent.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 12:50:11 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde