The Sewing Place

Hi, I’ve just joined the forum.

Kwaaked

Re: Hi, I’ve just joined the forum.
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2024, 01:12:26 AM »
Welcome.

As the last time I went to England was 30 years ago (this year, as a matter of fact) and apparently all I visited was the North, and I am in the USA...nothing to add!

Hi!

BrendaP

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2024, 08:17:54 AM »
You lot have just made me place an order with Pound Fabrics.  I'll report back on the quality when the parcel arrives.

Locally, in Rochester, there is Hometown for P@Q fabrics, lots of choice but no bargains and that's about it.  If you really search around there are one or two small habby shops that might have a bit of knitting yarn and a dozen or so bolts of fabric but the chances of finding something you want are very slim.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Clduk

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2024, 16:00:01 PM »
Welcome @Clduk, welcome from me too. I've been sewing too since I was very young and made a career out of it. Now in theory I'm supposed to be retired and should be able to sew when I feel like it unfortunately it's not worked out that way due to unexpected family commitments.

That’s a shame, hope the situation improves for you.

Clduk

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2024, 16:01:35 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s exactly what it feels like when I talk to one of my colleagues down south!🤣🤣

Clduk

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2024, 16:05:25 PM »
Well I must say, you are a really friendly bunch, and I’m so glad I joined. :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2024, 17:41:41 PM »
Yay we are really glad you've joined too!

Sheilago

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2024, 17:47:56 PM »
Welcome @Clduk! You’re still ‘ down south ‘ to me
 I always find it strange when someone on TV refers to somewhere like Stoke as being in ‘ the north’.

As far as fabric shops go, there are none near me unless you count the small amount of patchwork fabric in a fairly local sewing machine shop. I can’t remember when I last bought fabric in person.

Clduk

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2024, 17:54:16 PM »
Yep it’s funny that. I think we call up north or down south as just in England. But it gets confusing 🫤 🤣

Clduk

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2024, 18:08:32 PM »
Welcome to TSP @Clduk from another 5 footer.   Petite garments in the shops are made so that everything is in proportion.  I don't think petite patterns work the same. So pockets etc will be the same as on a larger size.  At least that is how it used to be. 
The demise of fabric shops is a shame as it’s a tactile hobby.  Places I use have mostly been mentioned but there is also Dalston Mills if no one has mentioned that and Stone Fabrics who get orders out very fast.  I’m another who likes natural fabrics. 
There are numerous petite patterns available.  But don’t be put off, just learn to fit and the world is your oyster.

Thanks, yes you’re right, I think it’s me being less confident but I have a lot of knowledge around amending patterns but think it puts me off. I just need to get on with it. :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2024, 18:22:28 PM »
Thanks, yes you’re right, I think it’s me being less confident but I have a lot of knowledge around amending patterns but think it puts me off. I just need to get on with it. :)

@Clduk i have so many alterations that are needed for commercial patterns it drives me nuts.  If it was just length adjustments I’d be happy.  Most of my patterns are me made nowadays.  It means I can take an existing pattern and chop it and change it to get another one and know that it’s going to fit with minimal adjustments. 

If you need help with fitting just put up some piccies and people will chime in to help.   :)

Clduk

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2024, 09:49:50 AM »
Thanks I’m sure I’ll need that!