The Sewing Place

Home Sweet Home Contest March and April 2024

Iminei

Re: Home Sweet Home Contest March and April 2024
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2024, 10:12:06 AM »
I live in 2 places every week, one is my normal house the other is an off grid cabin where some of the, ahem, niceties are not always there.  (I mean I have an outhouse, with this.)

So I need to make a toiletry bag, which in this case is to be able to hold a roll of toilet paper, hand soap, feminine hygiene  products...you know stuff you need going to the bathroom.  Would this actually fit this contest? 

And why a bag?  Well, I can't leave the TP outside because it's not exactly weatherproof, and my kid has a habit of using it all and not telling anyone and I can't yell very well.  Plus, I got water there but I don't want to leave soap because it's not weatherproof and did you know soap in the sun will turn clear from whatever color it was?  Plus, because it's an hour away we often use the rest area between here and there and I don't want to use John Wayne paper* on my nether bits, plus they rarely have soap.

*It's rough, tough and doesn't take crap off anyone.

OMG @Kwaaked  ... you cheered up my day .. and I remember the JWTP in school both primary and secondary (which was a posh private school so surprising they were so cheap) Izal .... :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2024, 12:06:29 PM »
That’s an interesting fabric basket @SewRuthieSews

Flobear

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2024, 12:35:36 PM »
I'm afraid I have failed to achieve anything so far though the Improv. Quilt I started on my day course has a small chance of making the finishing line - if I could only find my mojo  :[ 

Tell you what, I'll nip upstairs and measure how many sq. cm it currently makes and see how near I am to the 1.2 sq.m I need.

eta  Hmmm, I have approx. 0.58 sq.m - a smidge under half the area  -<
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 13:44:18 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2024, 08:20:44 AM »
Sorry to hear about the lost mojo @Flobear

I'm not sure which of my home dec projects I shall work on, we have more than 2 weeks still to go so should be enough time to get something made :-)

Bjay

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2024, 10:47:37 AM »
I'm having to withdraw from this as I cant see too well wt present.
The main runner is sandwiched and the coasters and plate at are waitling to be sandwiched
. I first thought could have everything ready to go but its not possible.  I can see errors if I continue
Sorry @SewRuthieSews
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2024, 12:07:43 PM »
Oh @Bjay hope you're able to get your eyes sorted, you can always share your finished items with us when you are able to complete them.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2024, 17:53:56 PM »
@Kwaaked did you want to enter your item? If so can you just copy across from your diary thread so I can easily find it when it comes to setting up the voting thread at the end of the month - thanks :-)

Kwaaked

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2024, 03:16:53 AM »
I have a couple to add to it before I add it here.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2024, 09:51:43 AM »
Brilliant thanks @Kwaaked , happy sewing!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2024, 14:49:35 PM »
Sew Ruthie Sews' entry #2 Fabric Box
Fabric Box without interfacing from https://jezzeblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/no-interfacing-storage-basket-tutorial.html
The resulting box is about 6 inches wide and 5 inches tall.
I made mine all from the same fabric (scraps from an old curtain), but it would lend itself to a contrast for the lining and could be a great scrap buster.

Thanks go to @indigotiger for the link.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 16:55:32 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Hideout Hen

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2024, 15:35:26 PM »
Hideout Hen.1

I made this cushion from some blue cotton that I had left over from making screens for my wardrobe.( Also painted) The piping I made from silver lame' and piping cord. The lame was a left over from my belly dancing days. I'd forgotten how awful it is to sew with!
I painted the heron to match in with the theme of my sewing room.

The back has a concealed zip.

In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2024, 08:45:31 AM »
Wow that's gorgeous @Hideout Hen

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2024, 16:58:48 PM »
Sew Ruthie Sews' entry #3 A Whale of a Cushion
I made a large cushion for the sofa. It uses panels from a rather flimsy cotton bag from Whale and Dolphin Conservation and some fabric in a whale print. I interfaced the main graphic panel and added blue textured flanging and then the whale print fabric. For the back I used some plain blue fabric and added a button closure.
As this came out a unique size, I also made a cushion insert which I filled from 4 smaller cushions.

Ouryve

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2024, 17:13:49 PM »
Yve's Entry: cushions for The Front Room using Elizabeth Hartman's Fancy Fox pattern. For the foxes, I picked out colours from a rug we have in there. The binding is a scrappy binding using the prints from that particular cushion.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2024, 17:22:06 PM »
Fabulous @Ouryve - such cute foxes!