The Sewing Place

New overlocker tips

HenriettaMaria

Re: New overlocker tips
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2024, 10:54:08 AM »
@Celia £4.5k and they still feel it necessary to supply:

Threading Wire
If the air threader is out of work or a looper pipe blocked, the wire can be used temporarily to thread in order to complete the started sewing project.

:scream:

Greybird

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2024, 11:17:04 AM »
Even if I had that much money, I don't think I'd be tempted by it either. One thing that has struck me when reading this and other recent overlocker threads, is the extent to which overlockers now look much more like sewing machines. Is this an attempt to "normalise" them for domestic sewers do you think or does all that extra capability need them to be so different?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2024, 12:20:36 PM »
I just had to look at the Bernina.  I feel a bit out of the loop nowadays with what’s available. 
Have to say I really don’t like combination machines.  Much rather have two separate ones.  And they’d still be two very expensive ones if you split this in half price wise. 

annierose

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2024, 13:17:45 PM »
Yes, there often seems unnecessary complexity - I love my Atelier 7, it is so lovely to use, but I really don't use a lot of the functions. The ones I do use are very good though.
Plenty of stitches to use on knit fabrics, but my overlocker does them so much better.
And thank you @Celia for a laugh - now I wonder if the forum is on a mission to find the most expensive overlocker?

realale

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2024, 13:29:34 PM »
Thank you @Celia, that one had escaped my attention and I gave it due consideration for all of a nano second!!  :laughing:

I'm really really really missing my overlocker. I'm currently sewing a knit dress for an event next Sunday and instead of whizzing along I'm finding it painfully slow.  :boohoo:

Research is carrying on however so keep all your tips, suggestions and comments coming!  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Ouryve

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2024, 13:29:57 PM »
I thought that Bernina one might be it but I have found a terrifying looking industrial one for over five grand

https://konsew.com/industrial-sewing-machine/juki-industrial-machines/juki-mo-6916j-fh6-700-top-feed-walking-foot-5-thread-industrial-overlocker-for-jeans
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Helen M

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2024, 13:47:51 PM »
I'll just throw one more angle into the equasion. Do you want a computerised one or not?

I did use a Huskylock 936(?) a few times but I personally find I like to 'tinker' with the stitch length/width settings myself as it can vary so much for each fabric that you use. So I'd go for manual one everytime.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

realale

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2024, 13:49:59 PM »
Gosh, @Ouryve, that looks frightening  :scream:

I don't want a computerised one muchly, a good old mechanical one will do me fine. Less to go wrong  :P

Mamashep

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2024, 14:03:50 PM »
I have a Babylock Evolution, fantastic machine, so easy to thread. 8-threads, functions that I will probably never use. I bought it ONLY because it came up second hand, and it was at a very affordable price.  I had a Babylock Eclipse, but wanted to get a 5-thread Babylock but this came up first.  The new price was around £1999 when I bought it, and I would never have paid that, but I do love it. The price of these latest ones is absolutely ridiculous, for home sewing machines, even though I could afford it I would never dream of spending that much on one.

Celia

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2024, 14:13:04 PM »
One of the things I love about the Babylock Gloria is although it seems fancy and has a few electronic things in essences it’s still mechanical and yes if the puffer threader does not work you can still thread it manually.

I do think the threading is something to watch out for, I don’t think I have found an Overlocker I can’t thread reasonably quickly but I have definitely found some I don’t want to thread.  :laughing:

realale

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2024, 15:29:59 PM »
Oh, darn it. You've sent me down the Babylock rabbit hole and now I want one!!
I won't spend that much on a Gloria but the Victory and the Enlighten are tempting me.   ::thinks::

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2024, 15:41:18 PM »
I do love mine - but the model name temporarily escapes me!

realale

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2024, 16:06:49 PM »
I can enlighten you @Bodgeitandscarper !!  :laughing:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2024, 16:32:07 PM »

Nevis5

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2024, 08:20:48 AM »
I have a Babylock Imagine which is about 15 years old now.  I love it.  It marches merrily on without complaint - the only exception being at the end of lockdown when it completely seized up and I took it to a repair shop an hour's drive away - nothing wrong with it except that it was stuffed to the brim with lint.  I do, I hasten to add, brush it out regularly but this ball of lint was somewhere un-get-at-able. 

Whilst there, the mechanic appeared to have cleaned out the air puffer thing which was a bit hit and miss at times.  Working fine now.  I wouldn't be without it.