The Sewing Place

Fiddly pattern pieces - how to last

Syrinx

Fiddly pattern pieces - how to last
« on: November 14, 2017, 14:35:07 PM »
I've dug out one of my paperweight patterns that I drafted a few years ago. I had forgotten how small and fiddly some parts are (not impossible to use) but as it took forever to get the design right I'm wondering how best to keep the pattern alive. Any ideas? I was thinking laminate and then trim. And I see I have sellotaped a couple of the tinier ones. Or should I copy them to something else more hardwaring?

I promise pictures of it when all made up - I have a few to make! I'd like to enlarge the design as well tomake a doorstop, but I can't remember how to do it!

toileandtrouble

Re: Fiddly pattern pieces - how to last
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 19:13:45 PM »
I have used lightweight sewin interfacing for patterns.  If they are small, why  not trace them all on to one piece?  Not forgetting to label them so you know what you made them for - I am the proud owner of some unattributed draftings. When it's an FBA piece I try to write on the pattern I started from, the size and the date. Then put them into a ziplock bag with the original pattern. What do you use to store yours?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Syrinx

Re: Fiddly pattern pieces - how to last
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 19:47:52 PM »
Umm. Store? They go in bags with fabric, or they get 'tidied' by someone not me so they vanish forever. If I get to them first they go into their packet and in my fabric basket.

It's a self drafted pattern for tiny dragon paperweights. However I have since discovered that I have only half of the final pattern and half of mark I so I'm trying to redo bits of it (with mixed success)

But part of the problem is being drawn on graph paper which doesn't last well. It's generally for use with wools and tweeds so need a hefty pattern that I can draw round repeatedly!

Vegegrow

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz