The Sewing Place

Standfast & Barracks new classic lawn collection

Ellabella

Re: Standfast & Barracks new classic lawn collection
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 23:49:12 PM »
I've just had a browse and there are some lovely prints.

Think I'll give them a ring tomorrow and order a couple of lengths.

Strictly in support of British industry you understand :P

Fiona M

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 14:10:33 PM »
I like the dark coloured Paisley very much, what colour is the background?

Tamnymore

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 15:29:58 PM »
Fiona, looking carefully at the paisley (I think it's called Obadiah) it is sightly mottled dark blue and dark brown. I've taken another photo but it doesn't capture the colour - the true colour is quite a bit darker and richer than my photo! Why not order some and see!  :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Fiona M

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 16:44:44 PM »
Thanks.  It looks brown on my screen, but I wondered if it was dark charcoal grey.  I really shouldn't buy any - I have a load of Tana lawn waiting to be sewn up already. 
My sewing stopped since getting the pup, although he is not far off two now, and settling down nicely.  I hope to be able to get back to it sometime soon.  :\

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 17:12:33 PM »
I keep picking it up and peering at it! It's deceptive. It does look charcoal-ish from a distance then when you get close up and you see the background is made up of blue and brown (Mr Tamny say it's black not brown so let's say browny-black). Quite clever really and unusual for lawn where we are more used to seeing pastel or bright flowery patterns. Hmmm. Wish I'd got some more. No, bad Tamny, mustn't buy more!

I too have a lot of Liberty but I wanted to support S&B's new venture though by the comments on their Facebook pages former Liberteenies are snapping it up. In future (if I ever use up my current supply of lawn that is) I'd go for the S&B 'made in Lancashire' offering  rather  than Liberty.

Ellabella

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 19:42:02 PM »
Well I was going to order a couple of lengths but ended up bying 12m :o

I was so torn I just gave into temptation.  I've  ordered the paisley and have plans for a Style Arc stylearc.com/shop/pdf-sewing-patterns/lennie-over-shirt-pdf/.

New lawns and a Style Arc pattern sale, not good for the bank blalnce so near Christmas but heigh ho, who cares.

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 20:02:26 PM »
Good for you, Ellabella. You should get your parcel tomorrow. It will keep you out of mischief over Christmas   :D

Ellabella

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 16:21:29 PM »
Well its arrived :fabric: and I am absolutly delighted <3 <3 <3.

Very prompt service as I only ordered mid afternoon yesterday and the fabric is yummy.

I will try to get pics tomorrow when the light is better but my track record of posting pics on here is not good. 

Now just a discussion with DD as to which ones are for her :|

Tamnymore

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 16:41:14 PM »
At £7 the postage could seem expensive but you do get it the next day which is great especially at this time of year where you could be waiting a week or more. The fabric is easily as nice as Liberty. Hope you enjoy planning how to use it.

Ellabella

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 17:02:51 PM »
I've only measured one length at the moment but it is the most generous 2m I've ever seen, nearly 2.8m. 0_0

Ellabella

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 14:09:26 PM »

Here are the lawns I bought the other day.

One of the fabrics I wanted has already sold out, whilst I know they will only be doing small print runs to test the market, I think that shows there is a market for them

Madame Cholet

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 14:12:46 PM »
That Paisley is divine, although I do admit to being a Paisley fan.

Tamnymore

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 14:30:28 PM »
Very tasty, Ellabella and maybe your 2.8m for 2m piece was the end of a roll. I like the paisley too. I lurve paisley pattern in any form however I must not buy any more and I need to go on a fabric diet in the new year. Yes, I'm sure there's a market for this fabric but a lot will depend on the price point. I'm sure the lawn we've just been buying isn't seconds and I doubt they would make a profit at £6.99 pm in the longer term. We shall have to see how it goes.

Sewbee

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 17:24:09 PM »
Standfast & Barracks in Lancaster used to print Liberty tana lawn and many of us drank from the font of fabulous fabric at their factory shop or katsfabrics on ebay.

We were inconsolable when they stopped printing Liberty (although luckily we had had the foresight to stock up on all the Liberty tana lawn we would ever need and then some).

I've just checked their facebook page and I see they are now stocking their own brand of Classic Lawn at £6.99. Some nice designs and looks comparable to Liberty. Goodie. An excuse to swerve off the M6 at J34 on next trip oop north. DH will be pleased!  :devil: :devil: :devil:

Oohhh! Thanks so much for posting this!!

Sewbee

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 17:28:14 PM »
What good news.  I am so pleased that they will make their own cotton lawn and hopefully make a success of it, and prove to Liberty that they shouldn't have relocated. 

I had a look at their facebook page but can't see any of their designs.  Will they only be selling in their shop or online too?

I just looked, too. Nothing online. I wrote them a note asking them to allow online shopping. :)