The Sewing Place

FBA on a pattern with a wide waistband? Or hack a previous pattern...

Francesca

This pattern I'm making soon... It has a wide central waistband piece. I always look better with an FBA so I definitely need one. But how would it be done?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Or... do I the pattern (already own it) to help me infer how to adjust my sloper for this style? It looks to be just cut straight about 2/3 up the armhole and then have that wide band added. Having the pattern pieces in front of me might help me see any quirks. I'm not overly in love with the wide waistband as it is, I just liked that off the shoulder shape

toileandtrouble

Re: FBA on a pattern with a wide waistband? Or hack a previous pattern...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 15:54:56 PM »
You could 'lose' the waistband, or make it narrower. Just extend the side length of the top piece (and the dart legs) to make it come down as far as you want.  I went the other way and put one in, because of the massive darts my FBA left which really showed on a patterned fabric. Also, the wide band made me feel neater.

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 16:31:15 PM »
How much of an FBA do you need? In my youth (C cup) I would have needed only 1 additional inch, yet I still would have needed to reduce the height of the waist piece due to my very short waist to bust height.  As I gained weight and moved into a D or DD cup, the waistband would have been reduced to something between an inch to 1-1/2"- maximum.

Are you long-waisted or short-waisted?

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 17:52:37 PM »
I actually finished up this dress in the end by using a different bodice.

Much easier!

I'm very shortwaisted, and wear around an FF to G.